Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH vip622 Manual Timer Bug?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I set a manual timer on my Dish vip622 to try to record only part of a news program. The manual timer is for a local (OTA) channel and is set from 10:06pm to 10:15pm Monday through Friday. It should record 9 minutes each weekday. But instead, it always records the entire 35 minute program (10:00pm-10:35pm, no early start or late ending).

Is this a known bug? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I set a manual timer on my Dish vip622 to try to record only part of a news program. The manual timer is for a local (OTA) channel and is set from 10:06pm to 10:15pm Monday through Friday. It should record 9 minutes each weekday. But instead, it always records the entire 35 minute program (10:00pm-10:35pm, no early start or late ending).

Is this a known bug? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,

Jeff

When you check your timers, does it display "manual timer" or is it the name of the program?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

When you check your timers, does it display "manual timer" or is it the name of the program?

It shows the name of the program, even though I created it as a manual timer. When I choose edit on the timer, it shows 10:06pm to 10:15pm, yet as I said, it always records the entire program.

Ok, now that I think about it, it's possible I created this as a normal timer and edited the time. This should still only reocord the time that I specified.
Why allow editing the time, if you're just going to ignore it and record the entire program anyway?

I have just created a true manual timer and it says Manual Timer in the list. I will see how this one behaves now.

Jeff

October 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

You hit on what I was going to ask. I have tried creating a guide timer, then editing the time... and that virtually never works as the receiver will self-correct to the full episode time.

I've never had a problem creating a manual timer though. I have had to do that for some things that come on at odd times like the HDNet Test Pattern.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

I have just created a true manual timer and it says Manual Timer in the list. I will see how this one behaves now.

Jeff

That will work. I had the same issue until I figured it out (with a little help from these folks).
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Come to think of it, why do they even list the times on a conventional timer? They don't on a true auto timer that you choose All episodes or New episodes.

On Weekly or M-F timers they let you edit the time, but apparently just ignore your adjustments anyway. I wonder what would happen if i "adjusted" the timer so it was three hours later in the middle of some other show...

Jeff

October 1996

#7 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Well, following up, doing a true manual timer does just record the nine minutes specified.

This still doesn't answer the question as to why they let you edit the time on other types of timers, if the edits are just going to be ignored!

Jeff

October 1996

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

I haven't tested this in a long time, and it wasn't with a ViP receiver, but I seem to recall a 4 hour window around the time set would qualify to shift a Weekly or Daily event. I'd *expect* that a change to the time of a couple hours would be caught and the show recorded. If you were to change the time by 8 hours, I'd expect it to NOT record the show. Again, this was my 942's behavior trying to adjust some show that shifted, but was still close to what was originally requested, and recording anyhow. ViPs may not do the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...