Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Wobbling Satellite" Reason Given By Local DISH Rep's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BCMgmt

BCMgmt

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

I feel like a fool, and have been at WAR with Dish for months. The local Radio Shack Dish distributor has repeatedly told me my HD reception problem is caused by a "wobbling satellite", as he points to the south sky. I need help!
They have the larger rooftop dish pointing east towards the ground. I wish I was kidding. Anyway, I'm at $ 140/mo plus for Dish and can't take it anymore up the rear.

I have a 622 connected to an HDTV and a reg TV. I have a 612 connected to another HDTV. Lastly I have a 510 in the office/exercise room that I'd like to upgrade to link to my large HDTV computer screen and TV equipped new desktop but not lose the feed to the exercise bike. Both in same room. Sling is interesting as well but this latest software talk leaves me feeling stupid.

Outside I have two disc's, one is a 500 and the other larger with no visable
model number. Both are wired into what looks like a huge splitter with coaxial
connectors coming out all four sides with many still available. We live directly on Ocean so these things get rusted out and sloppy regularly because of weather, salt and high winds. Should I demand the 1000 Dish? I'm basically
at the beginning of my Dish education and hopefully at the end of my taking Dish up the ass. Lastly, a $ 5.99/monthly charge for insurance we pay. What's it for? We think we get ALL the channels offered but local ABC is history as are all the NBA Blazer games wih the NBA package purchase. Thanks for the patience my friends. I'm all ears!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

There was a wobbling satellite (E5) that affected us up here greatly. It's since been replaced as of a few weeks ago. I no longer have any issues with losing signal from the new satellite. I have two Dish 500s (one pointing to 110/119 and the other to 129).

As far as ABC, that's a contract dispute that's also affecting our local KOMO station. I see no resolution in the near future. I am currently subscribing to AAD for SD San Fransisco ABC channel. I'm far enough outside of Seattle to allow this.

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

The "wobbling satellite" is in the process of being replaced. A 1000.2 dish may very soon be the dish of choice there.

The dish is not really pointing at the ground even though it appears that way. It is pointing at a satellite at 61,5w.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

As already mentioned the Echostar 5 bird had a defective gyro which caused it to wobble with the same effect in signal output. It had been replace by Ciel-2 so that issues hould be resolved.
If you keep having issues ask dish for upgrade to get a 1000.2 which will be one single dish, no external switches and hence less equipment to fail.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

The "wobbling satellite" is in the process of being replaced.

Indeed, Ciel-2 at 129W just came online at the beginning of this week, and has improved signal strengths greatly compared to the failing Echostar-5 which it is replacing.

The dish rep was telling the truth, but after a long wait, those problems are finally over.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...