Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sat cable Spliter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Can someone please tell me if i can split 1cable coming from the sat switch to 2 hd receivers using a sat 2 ways splitter, thanks good people.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Nope. DBS doesn not lend itself well to splitting.

D* has a single wire solution but since you posted in Dish I guess you are a E* sub?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Yes i'm E sub, so what is the solution?thanks in advance

#4 OFFLINE   opus74

opus74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Yes i'm E sub, so what is the solution?thanks in advance

Another "wire" from the dish, or the switch if it's external to the dish. ;)
Opus74

New Dish Subscriber 2/2/09.
1000.2 with (2) VIP 211k 1. WD 640G EHD; 2. WD 1TB EHD.
Turbo Bronze HD only.

#5 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Typically it helps to post the models of your receivers and switches.

..Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#6 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

VIP 211,anda HD Nfusion NV ,the switch on the roof is a dp34,also have a freind that has 2 322's that wants also to split them sinse he has to get long runs of cable from the outside switch just like me.

#7 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

If your friend has two 322 receivers which are dual tuner receivers, he can run 1 lines to each receiver and use Dish Pro Plus separators to feed the 2 tuners from one line on each receiver.

You cannot use DPP separators to connect two single channel receivers like your VIP 211. DPP separators can only be used with DPP receivers.

I am not sure whether you were looking to connect both your VIP211 and your FTA receiver on the same line but I am not aware of any way to do that and doesn't make a lot of sense since with FTA you need to be able to point at multiple sats whereas the 211 is pointed always at the same sats.

..Doyle
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#8 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

If your friend has two 322 receivers which are dual tuner receivers, he can run 1 lines to each receiver and use Dish Pro Plus separators to feed the 2 tuners from one line on each receiver.

You cannot use DPP separators to connect two single channel receivers like your VIP 211. DPP separators can only be used with DPP receivers.

I am not sure whether you were looking to connect both your VIP211 and your FTA receiver on the same line but I am not aware of any way to do that and doesn't make a lot of sense since with FTA you need to be able to point at multiple sats whereas the 211 is pointed always at the same sats.

..Doyle

Also, he can't use the separators with a DP34, he would need to replace that with a DPP44
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#9 OFFLINE   TheChef

TheChef

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Like Puck said, your options for single cable installations would require you to change your switch to dish pro plus version.

From what you describe though, you should have open space on your switch. Get your hands dirty and run another line.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish Network's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Like Puck said, your options for single cable installations would require you to change your switch to dish pro plus version.

But that still won't let him hook up two independent receivers to one wire, it will only let him feed the two integrated tuners within a single DPP capable receiver.

-----

To the OP: Cable and over the air antenna systems send all of the channels at once all of the time, which is why splitting works -- each output of a splitter gets the same complete signal. The cable from a dish to a satellite receiver, however, only carries a portion of the signals at one time. When you change channels on the satellite receiver, the receiver sends a command to the dish/switch to signal which subset of channels it should send now. If you use a splitter on a satellite feed, the commands from the two receivers will conflict with each other, and at least one of the receivers is likely to not get the subset of channels that it is expecting.

There MUST be a dedicated cable running from the dish/switch to each receiver.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...