Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad 622 Dish Won't Upgrade to 722 I'm done...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

After 11 years of having the max programming packages I have, as of Monday, terminted service. I had a 622 that provided me with all the channel 501HD movies and also the 1080P movie. It worked great. For a while. Then it started the constant reboot cycles and was switched out with another 622. This 622 reciever won't provide me with the VOD 501 HD or 1080P movies because of a software change? Hah? I had a tech here for two hours this morning on the phone with support trying to fix it and all they would say was I had to pay to get a 722 to get that feature back. No way. I'm done. I am having them shut me off come Monday. Can you guys tell me what they are saying it true about the 622? Did they change something or is this reciever just bad and they won't admit it?
Gary

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

It doesn't really matter anymore, does it?

I show 501HD in my ViP622 guide.

I recall that initially, this was supposed to be a ViP722 exclusive but I'm guessing that they changed their minds.

#3 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

I don't get it. I have a VIP622 (L617) and I can order 501 (Eagle Eye (Video On Demand, 1080p)).:confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

I am pretty sure VOD 501 is not a 722 only thing. Wonder if it has to do with the Satellites you are pointing to. Did they change something there? Be really surprised that is the case but something worth considering.

One thing to double check. (Stab in the dark). If you have channel locks and are hiding your lock channels Check your locked channels and make sure you don't have 501 locked. That would take it away from the Guide.

Other than that not sure what else would cause no VOD except not having any recording time free or not putting your receiver in standby. Any of those conditions exist?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

It takes a few days of updates before a newly activated receiver will start getting VOD and pre-downloaded movies. That's normal and happens for everyone. How long has it been since the replacement 622 was activated? Was it plugged into the network immediately?

#6 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

I don't have any channels locked. All the non HD 501's are available. Lots of storage space. 27hrs of HD available. No changes to the dish set up and neither of the 622's have ever had broadband access. Unit is shut off every night at midnight by a programmable remote that has a timer set to do so. The latest 622 has been in service for almost 6 weeks now. That is plenty of time to download. I don't understand it either. I find it really hard to believe they changed the operation of the newer 622's. Tech support also told the repair guy that the 622's use a different software even though the revision number is the same. They claim they took away the 1080P feature because it was causing reboot problems on the 622's. I don't believe that either.

I don't want to drop Dish. But I have had lots of trouble over the last few years. I don't want to go into detail about that here. This is the "straw" so to speak. They took away a feature that I bought a 600.00 TV to be able to take advantage of and now they want me to pay or commit to two years to get it back. It's just not right.
Gary

#7 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

I can't speak too much on the software revisions and VOD features to be honest.

I can say that if you have been with Dish that long, they should of offered half-off or a free upgrade, especially if your billing with them is perfect and you don't have any/many adjustments (credits) on the account. If I had an extension I would welcome you to call so I could take a look at the account. They can offer a free upgrade, but there is no way around the 24mo agreement unfortunately, it is all done through the system.

I wish I could offer you a different reason or a workaround for that problem, but as of now that's all I can say on the subject.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Unit is shut off every night at midnight by a programmable remote that has a timer set to do so.

What does this mean exactly? Are you actually cutting power to the receiver? Or is it just going into the normal standby mode? If you have some sort of external setup that actually cuts power to the receiver then it will never get VOD.

Aside from that bit of confusion on my part... My 622 goes in stages... seems to mostly get SD 501 movies, but I have seen the 1080p HD movie on there before.

On the flip side, my 722 seems to never get any SD 501 movies at all... only gets HD movies on that one + usually the 1080p movie.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

What does this mean exactly? Are you actually cutting power to the receiver? Or is it just going into the normal standby mode? If you have some sort of external setup that actually cuts power to the receiver then it will never get VOD.

Aside from that bit of confusion on my part... My 622 goes in stages... seems to mostly get SD 501 movies, but I have seen the 1080p HD movie on there before.

On the flip side, my 722 seems to never get any SD 501 movies at all... only gets HD movies on that one + usually the 1080p movie.

TSR thank you for the offer. I appreciate that. As far as the programmable remote, I fall asleep watching this so I have a Pronto remote that sends a turn off command at midnight so the unit will go to sleep. I didn't use to do this but Ron made a suggestion a few weeks back about why I might not be getting the VOD's and making sure the 622 was shut down at night was one of them. That's when I set the remote up to make sure it was turned off.
Gary

#10 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

TSR thank you for the offer. I appreciate that. As far as the programmable remote, I fall asleep watching this so I have a Pronto remote that sends a turn off command at midnight so the unit will go to sleep. I didn't use to do this but Ron made a suggestion a few weeks back about why I might not be getting the VOD's and making sure the 622 was shut down at night was one of them. That's when I set the remote up to make sure it was turned off.

FYI you don't have to shut off the 622 it will shut it self off.

#11 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

My 722 and 622 handle 501 VOD a bit differently. BOTH have a single 1080p offering, but then the 722 has all the other 501 VOD movies in HD, whereas aside frorm the single 1080p movie, the 622 has all other movies in SD.

But both definitely get the 1080p offering each month.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Tech support also told the repair guy that the 622's use a different software even though the revision number is the same.

Serious doubt this claim. This would make troubleshooting near impossible. Not even sure if the system supports this. Even if this was the case, it does not explain the absence of regular HD VOD.

All the non HD 501's are available. Lots of storage space.

Actually the storage space you have is user space. VODs go into another storage area but i would suspect that you would have at least a few HD VODS.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#13 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Right. If you read what Gary is saying, he is getting VOD on channel 501 but he is not getting HD versions of the movies. I see the same as ZBoomer. On my 622 I see the 1080p movie in HD but all the other channel 501 VOD entries are non-HD. On my 722 all the channel 501 VOD are HD.

While I would not consider this to be a reason for me to cancel Dish, I would consider it a problem if I had the feature and it was removed. It does not bother me since I do have a 722.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#14 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

My 722 and 622 handle 501 VOD a bit differently. BOTH have a single 1080p offering, but then the 722 has all the other 501 VOD movies in HD, whereas aside frorm the single 1080p movie, the 622 has all other movies in SD.

But both definitely get the 1080p offering each month.

Starting to wonder if the 622 does this because of storage differences. Remember the 722 does have a large disk drive. Wonder if the 622 has a smaller VOD. I no longer have a 622 so can't look at one.

Would be interesting to get feedback from other 622 users as to what they see in the way of VOD these days. Wonder if there was a change regarding the 622s and VOD that happened in between the swap.

Anybody with 622 seeing regular HD now?

#15 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

VIP622 - I have Eagle Eye 1080p and the rest of the 501 channels are SD.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#16 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

VIP622 - I have Eagle Eye 1080p and the rest of the 501 channels are SD.

Same here on my 622.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#17 OFFLINE   daveray

daveray

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

622 same here.
722 HD on all 501 VOD.
2 VIP 722K OTA module : Samsug LN55a950 OTA Tulsa, Ft Smith and Fayetteville AR. Joplin MO. Separator to 722Ks. Dish 1000.2 and 30" at 129

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier (I think I said it earlier)...

My 622 has the 1080p HD movie, then a bunch of SD 501 movies.
My 722 has the 1080p HD movie, then a bunch of HD 501 movies.

With the smaller hard drive, and smaller reserved area, I think that's the intended way for the 622 to work. If I remember correctly, I thought Dish originally said the 622 wouldn't get HD VOD at all... but I suspect they decided to let the 1080p movie go there because of the marketing push on that feature.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

I had E* upgrade BOTH my 622's to 722's for free. I've only been with E* for about 5 years, but have a ton of programming. I sent an email to the executive support team and was nice, but firm in letting them know that I do have other options.

Depends who you talk too.......
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

But based on Gary's post, at one time they did allow VOD HD on the 622. Been a while since I had my 622 and I don't recall if it had VOD HD when I had it. Perhaps they tried it for a while and found that with the space limitations on the VOD they decided to back out of providing it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...