Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Diplexer issue

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I just installed diplexers so that I could tie in my newly purchased antenna (which is on the roof next to the Dish receiver) and have the OTA signals join the Dish signals in one coax cable. One diplexer is on the roof and combines the antenna and Dish signals into one. Then another diplexer inside splits the signals so that I can route to the Dish tuner and to my HDTV's antenna slot.

The antenna is working great because I get crisp, clear OTA channels. But when I use my remote to switch over to satellite to view Dish channels, I do not get any channels - the tuner is searching for satellites to get a signal. But as soon as I disconnect the RG9 cable from my HDTV's antenna slot, Dish channels work. So it seems Dish won't work as long as the HDTV is connected to the antenna.

Has anyone heard of this before? Do I have a faulty diplexer?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I can't imagine the usefullness of manually connecting and unconnecting the RG9 cable to my HDTV's antenna slot to switch from Dish to OTA. - Thanks.
Paul.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

Either it's a bad diplexer or you've got them hooked up wrong. It isn't difficult to mix up your connections and end up feeding the diplexer the wrong way.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Make sure the side labeled sat goes to satellite and the antenna side goes to the antenna.

#4 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

It's good that you know to use diplexors in pairs, but make sure it isn't upside down, look at the feed ports (labels) and make sure it's correct. You shouldn't have a faulty diplexor, it would be incredibly rare in my experience.

#5 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thanks IIP and Boba. I have double checked and it is set-up correctly.

While the TV is on and I am watching Dish Network, as soon as I connect the off-air antenna line to my TV, the satellite signal disappears and the TV makes a weird 'whaaawhaaa' sound. Weird.

#6 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

I just installed diplexers so that I could tie in my newly purchased antenna (which is on the roof next to the Dish receiver) and have the OTA signals join the Dish signals in one coax cable. One diplexer is on the roof and combines the antenna and Dish signals into one. Then another diplexer inside splits the signals so that I can route to the Dish tuner and to my HDTV's antenna slot.

The antenna is working great because I get crisp, clear OTA channels. But when I use my remote to switch over to satellite to view Dish channels, I do not get any channels - the tuner is searching for satellites to get a signal. But as soon as I disconnect the RG9 cable from my HDTV's antenna slot, Dish channels work. So it seems Dish won't work as long as the HDTV is connected to the antenna.

Has anyone heard of this before? Do I have a faulty diplexer?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I can't imagine the usefullness of manually connecting and unconnecting the RG9 cable to my HDTV's antenna slot to switch from Dish to OTA. - Thanks.
Paul.

Do you have a powered amplifier for your antenna on the same diplexed line? If so, remove it.

#7 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

Mr. Rick - No I don't have it amplified.

Does it matter at all that the OTA antenna is picking up digital signals and the Dish Network I have is not digital (I don't have a digital tuner)? Stupid question I'm sure.

#8 OFFLINE   ka8zay

ka8zay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

It sounds like you are using Splitters and not Diplexers, that once you connect the Antenna feed your causing a short. If your sure they are Diplexers then they have to be bad.

#9 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

ka8zay, I did get diplexers. One thing that I noticed though, when I connect the antenna feed to my TV, there is a small spark. Is that a short?

#10 OFFLINE   ka8zay

ka8zay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

ka8zay, I did get diplexers. One thing that I noticed though, when I connect the antenna feed to my TV, there is a small spark. Is that a short?

There should not be a "spark" when you connect the antenna feed, that tells you that the DC power is passing to the TV side from the receiver where it should not be. They must be bad which as said before is very uncommon, what brand are they?

#11 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

They are Paladin Tools. I picked them up from Fry's Electronics (a mega-electronics store out here). I just noticed a small sticker on ONE of the boxes that the diplexers came in. The sticker says, "This product may be an open box, may have been used and returned by a customer, or may have been repaired by an authorized service provider."!!!! I think I need to return these for two other ones.

#12 OFFLINE   ka8zay

ka8zay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Agreed, let us know how the new ones work out.

#13 OFFLINE   kipakipa

kipakipa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks. I will be sure to post the outcome.

#14 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

Holland Electronics makes very reliable diplexers IMHO.

#15 OFFLINE   timhk

timhk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

How would you set up a VIP722 with a single sat lead separating to the DISH tuners 1&2 and then have a OTA lead feeding also? In simple English splitting the combined(OTA+SAT) lead from outside into 3 inside feeds of 2 Sat tuners & 1 OTA tuner.:grin::confused:

#16 OFFLINE   timhk

timhk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

Would also like to add that there is Channel Master preamp installed on the antenna.

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

How would you set up a VIP722 with a single sat lead separating to the DISH tuners 1&2 and then have a OTA lead feeding also? In simple English splitting the combined(OTA+SAT) lead from outside into 3 inside feeds of 2 Sat tuners & 1 OTA tuner.:grin::confused:

It would look just like the diagram I posted, with the sat output of the diplexer feeding the input of the DPP Separator. The two legs of the separator feed the two sat inputs of the Dish receiver.

NOTE: if you do this, you cannot also diplex the TV2 output into the same line, as is frequently done. If you aren't using the TV2, or have a line running directly from the receiver to the TV2, you're all good.

spam firewall