Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Buying/Upgrading to New DVRs and Receivers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:09 AM

I have been a DTV person for over three years. I OWN all my recievers. I would like to BUY not lease the newer HDTV DVR when I get my new HDTV flat panel tv next month. I have emailed DTV twice and though they try to push me into leasing saying it's cheaper than buying they do say that you can buy. They would usually give me a link to places that are supposed to be where you can buy in my area . In my case our Best Buy and at the time Circuit City were mentioned but I already know that they only sell leased boxes. Do you others know of other places where we can BUY the recievers? I can tell that so many of you already have bought rather than leased the newer ones. I can understand they are going to cost you double the price of the $199 price for the leased HDTV Dvr but where are all of you getting to buy them at? Are they only to be bought at Directv itself?? I also would like to throw one last question at you: If you do buy the recievers/dvrs rather than lease them, do you still get caught in being trapped in the 2 year committment like you do when you lease the dvrs? Thanks for you help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:51 AM

HR21Pro is an owned receiver

http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=HR21PRO

It should not have any commitment, but you should ask to talk to the access card department after you activate the receiver.
HR34, H24-100

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:25 AM

You can buy a HD DVR for $499 from an agent on the phone. However the lease fee is $199 and the agreement is a max of $480 so if you keep it for 9 mo you break even. There's really no difference now except that a: you have to return it when you leave if it's leased and b: it's covered for the life of the receiver if it's leased.

It's kind of like buying a top of the line PDA. It's usually cheaper to take the 2 year price and then start another line when another phone you want comes out and then pay that ECF.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

As posted above you can buy an HR21Pro and that unit will be owned. Or you can buy a HD DVR from DIRECTV directly for $499 and that will be owned. If you can actually find someone on eBay or places likes that with an actual owned unit you could buy that. But if you go that route I would get the receiver info and confirm with DIRECTV first that it is a owned unit.

Owned units should not extend your commitment.

As for members here with owned units. Most of them are people that had owned HD TiVo's replaced and the owned status moved over to the HR2x's. I doubt very much many people paid the full price to own the unit.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

When DirecTV first went to the leasing model, many people complained about it. That was almost 3 years ago now, and over that time, most have accepted that it is probably a better option. As noted by Shades228, while you may have a 2 year committment, financially the break even point is only 9 months out. Anytime after that and you actually save money over owning, should you terminate your service.

#6 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

You can buy a HD DVR for $499 from an agent on the phone. However the lease fee is $199 and the agreement is a max of $480 so if you keep it for 9 mo you break even. There's really no difference now except that a: you have to return it when you leave if it's leased and b: it's covered for the life of the receiver if it's leased.

It's kind of like buying a top of the line PDA. It's usually cheaper to take the 2 year price and then start another line when another phone you want comes out and then pay that ECF.

Thats what I thought. I have the Blackberry Curve with a two year commitment. When the Bold came out I wanted to get that but it would have cost me around $500 bucks:eek2: It was suggested that I add another line for only around $10 a month and then I would get the Bold at the reduced rate. Well, I ran the numbers and I figured that when all is said and done I would still be spending around $500 bucks in total just to get the Bold. It just didn't make sense and the person at the ATT store agreed.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#7 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Everyone:
I finally was talking to Directv myself and learned how it works. If you want to know how much it's going to cost to PURCHASE the DTV dvr or reciever I noticed that they charge you $300 + the lease price for a box. For example the HDTV DVR hr22 lease price is $199. Add $300 ($499) to that price and you have the PURCHASE price to buy the dvr rather than lease it. The same is true with the HDTV reciever. The lease price is $99. Add $300 ($399) and there is your PURCHASE price. I had noticed after talking to the DTV customer service agent on the prices of the boxes all you had to do was add another $300 and then you would know the purchase price

#8 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

Everyone:
I finally was talking to Directv myself and learned how it works. If you want to know how much it's going to cost to PURCHASE the DTV dvr or reciever I noticed that they charge you $300 + the lease price for a box. For example the HDTV DVR hr22 lease price is $199. Add $300 ($499) to that price and you have the PURCHASE price to buy the dvr rather than lease it. The same is true with the HDTV reciever. The lease price is $99. Add $300 ($399) and there is your PURCHASE price. I had noticed after talking to the DTV customer service agent on the prices of the boxes all you had to do was add another $300 and then you would know the purchase price

Right. That's what Shades 228 wrote a week ago in post #3 above, and confirmed by Michael D'Angelo in post #4.

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

If you own your equipment "outright" you have no commitment and then you can drop the service anytime you wish. All well and good, except your "owned" equipment is now useless. Why make the up front investment?
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

The reason I would buy is because I would not be interested in being trapped in the stupid contracts ( never know from one day to the next if you're going to have a job in this sorry economy) and most of all its ridiculous going to Best Buy paying the $199 for the dvr and then when you have to cancel everything DTV comes along and sends you the box to mail the dvr back to them saying it's theirs and you don't even get the $199 back. Thats a ripoff!

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

So you still own a unit that is completely useless. Why would you want to keep it anyway? If down the road you reinstate service it may be obsolete.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

and as said, with leasing the break even is only 9mos or so. If you are going to keep service for 9mos it is a better deal, and in any event you have more money to spend on service since you did not spend the extra $300 on a receiver.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

spam firewall