Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to get 6.3 IR/UHF pro to emit IR signals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sachida

sachida

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I have recently installed dish network reciever 612. I got IR/UHF pro remote 6.3 with the system. I am trying to use universal remote on my dell axim 51. For that, I need it to learn commands from my dish network remote.

When I try to do that there is no incoming signal from the remote. I suspect it is using UHF instead of IR. There is a little crecent tab at the bottom of remote and it says UHF. Is there a tab for IR? where can I find it? thanks in advance

Edited by sachida, 15 February 2009 - 09:16 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

It can be done, because I've done it. But I'll be dipped if I can remember what I did... :(

Even though I can't find them right now, I'm pretty sure that there was another little plastic chip that snapped into the bottom of the remote, and it had a setting for IR. However, it's entirely possible that the 612 didn't come with that chip, and I used the one from my 722 to do the programming.

If you don't have a chip for the IR setting, you might still have a chance. If you remove the existing chip, you will see that there is a tab with a V notch cut in it. That notch moves a small slide switch in the remote to one of several positions, which changes its mode.

If you remove the chip, you can reach in with a small probe, and gently slide the switch to the various positions. Try the operation at each position and see if one works for you. That's pretty much what I did recently when I tried to get the 612 to recognize both an IR and RF remote simultaneously. I'm not sure how I did it, but once I got the status screen to show IR/RF remote (instead of just IR or RF) it worked. I can now use the universal IR remote in the main viewing room with the HD TV, and use the RF in a remote room to view SD over the RF output. (Of course, the same thing has to be playing on both TVs, as the 612 doesn't have a second independent TV output.)

Good luck, I wish I had the definitive answer for you, other than to say keep trying, it can be done!

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#3 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

Here is the manual for the 6.3 remote- PDF - it shows the keys - You may be able to turn your key over .

How are you using your axim as a remote?
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#4 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Here is the manual for the 6.3 remote- PDF - it shows the keys - You may be able to turn your key over .

Yep, the green "1" key with no UHF logo looks familiar, that's probably the one I used way back when...

From looking at the pictures, it looks like the IR#1 position might be second from the left. So if you don't have that key, try sliding that switch to the far left, and then move it one click to the right. That's where I would start the testing.

#5 OFFLINE   sachida

sachida

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Russ and Shapeshifter,
I unfortunately dont have keys. I wonder why I did not get them. But I will manually try shifting the tab.

I am using this software installed on Dell axim 51.
(cant post link as I need 5 posts to be able to do so. but google noviiremote)

It can control upto 20 feet. It can learn from any remote. Also allows set up for macros. So it works out like logitech harmony remotes. If someone has PDA with IR beam lying around, this is nice substituition. Ofcourse, there are no hard buttons and everything is touch screen. And that may not be something everybody likes.

The big plus is ability to design and teach buttons. so you can actually change the layout of page and create buttons and then teach it new IR codes. Makes it truely customized remote application out there. In built IR code are not that great. But still works for basic stuff.

#6 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

I unfortunately dont have keys. I wonder why I did not get them. But I will manually try shifting the tab.

I just tried it. If you pull off the key, the tip of the switch is a bit of white plastic. It has four positions. Push it all the way left, and then one click to the right. (If you number the positions 1 to 4, from left to right, you want position number 2.)

I've recreated my steps to duplicate my setup, hopefully it works for you:
  • Use the green #1 key, or manually move the remote's key sensor switch to position 2.
  • Press "Menu" twice to get the "System Info" screen.
  • Press the red "Record" button on the Dish remote to set the receiver's remote mode. Remote will be indentified as "IR" on the "System Info" screen.
  • Use the Dish remote to teach your learning remote.
  • Verify proper operation using both the Dish and learning remote.
  • Press "Menu" twice to get the "System Info" screen.
  • Replace the silver "UHF Pro" key on the Dish remote.
  • Press the red "Record" button on the Dish remote to set the receiver's remote mode. Remote will be indentified as "IR/UHF Pro" on the "System Info" screen.
  • Use both IR and RF remotes interchangeably, and enjoy the versatility.

Good luck!

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Another option would be to use the AUX item.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall