Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Satellite ever get Picture in Picture?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

To me picture in picture is very valuable. I know cable companies like cablevision have boxes with PIP capabilities.. Is this only a cable capable thing? I love my sports and I love my hockey...heck the sports packages on cable like NHL CI even have a "gamemix" type channel on InDemand. Why doesn't Direct have that? Direct seems to be removing their gamemix channel from MLB EI so the only package that will have a gamemix channel would be the football..What gives? "'PIP" for sports is so key..is my only option now to buy another tv and box for my room? haha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

I seem to recall that one of the E* HD DVR's have PIP. I believe the reason the HR-2x series doesn't do PIP is that the unit can only decode one video signal at a time, although it can record 2 at a time. With PIP, it would have to decode 2 video signals at once.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

It could be done (and I think Dish does PIP with some models), but it requires additional circuitry in the receiver so cost would be an issue. If you have a TV with a secondary PIP input, you could use a second receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Dish's 622 and 722 both have PIP. Also have side by side. Very nice feature so it can be done.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Dish's 622 and 722 both have PIP. Also have side by side. Very nice feature so it can be done.

!Devil_lol

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

"Ever" is a really long time. It's been a long-requested enhancement, so maybe we'll see it someday.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Right, but they also have two seperate video decoder/output processors, which they need to be able to run 2 TVs independently. This is what allows PiP.

Note that the Dish 612 can't do PiP for the same reason the HR's can't; they only have a single video output processor.

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

PIP was this feature that everyone thought they needed and few ever used. As you probably noticed in the beginning days of it on TVs it was a huge selling point, then slowly faded away into forgotten land as people stopped demanding it and finally realized for the most part never used it.

Yes, some still use it and enjoy it, but for the most part people wanted it, but never really used it.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,664 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

If it is very important to you, and DirecTV is your preferred provider, then a second receiver for $4.99 a month will give you PIP with complete flexibility as to what the alternate channel has. Personally, PIP is a feature my TV has, that I really never actually use (and I can feed the second input if I want to).

#10 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

The old UltimateTV boxes for DirecTV did PIP.

#11 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Most tv's have PIP now:

Solution 1: Put up an antenna, use it to PIP in your locals using TV PIP.

Solution 2: Hook up a second receiver to HDMI2 ( or component). PIP in the second receiver, using TV PIP.

sorry carl6, didn't read your post.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#12 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

What gives? "'PIP" for sports is so key..is my only option now to buy another tv and box for my room? haha

I don't see anything wrong with this option! :D

Attached Thumbnails

• tv_lr2.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

I don't see anything wrong with this option! :D

!Devil_lol
Wow I learn a lot in D* forums.:rolleyes:

#14 OFFLINE   Tom B

Tom B

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

I had PIP with Ultimate TV and kinda liked it. I used it a lot with sports programming.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

Most tv's have PIP now

Actually most TVs now (the ones I've looked at) don't have PIP anymore, unless its one of the more expensive ones. And some of the ones that do can't do 2 HD pictures at a time.

I agree though, we should have had PIP with the HRs, it is nice for sports. I've read on here though that the Broadcom chips can do PIP and that it was coming.

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

Not to be a naysayer....but on this topic...

Picture in Picture has never "made it" in the TV manufacturer industry.

While the Channel mix concept has met with some success....overall....it is the exception and not the rule.

Despite having one 116" screen, one 55" screen" and several others slightly smaller...the average HDTV displays out there today are in the 46-50" range. For me personally, PIP would work just fine...but I am an exception compared with mainsteam viewers, in terms of screen size availability.

Unfortunately, display size is critical...therefore...in today's world, I don't believe the current display averages are very condusive to promoting subscreens (PIP).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,137 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

My Sony Bravia will display P and P (picture beside picture) and I've got an antenna input. I used the setup twice during the college football season and that's about it. I really prefer the full screen HD picture of one game.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

The old UltimateTV boxes for DirecTV did PIP.

What did an UltimateTV box cost when new? Do you think most folks would be willing to pay that for an HD-DVR today? How about for their 4th HD-DVR? That's what DirecTV has to look at.

PiP would be relatively expensive to implement, and would hardly be used. Sure, the .5% of people who use it regularly REALLY like it, but most folks NEVER use it.

#19 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

What did an UltimateTV box cost when new? Do you think most folks would be willing to pay that for an HD-DVR today? How about for their 4th HD-DVR? That's what DirecTV has to look at.

PiP would be relatively expensive to implement, and would hardly be used. Sure, the .5% of people who use it regularly REALLY like it, but most folks NEVER use it.

How about using it to send to a second tv, Like E* does....:eek2:

#20 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

I'm not sure, I think it was $299. It was a long time ago. I used it a few times when I had Sunday Ticket, but I don't really miss it. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

spam firewall