Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to copy a DVD (not a movie)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

My dad, a Vietnam war veteran, returned to Vietnam last year. He took many pictures & created a great DVD slideshow set to music with a program called ProShow Gold.
He wants to burn more copies for others. Is there an alternative to the slideshow software to burn more copies? It can be flaky. He succeeded with Roxio, but he has to keep switching discs (only 1 drive). TYIA.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

most DVD programs can copy it.. just tell it you want multiple copies and it won't keep asking for original disk..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

most DVD programs can copy it.. just tell it you want multiple copies and it won't keep asking for original disk..

Right. By telling the computer you want multiple copies, it will keep the image that it copies to the hard drive until you've fed in the same number of blank discs that you told it you needed when you started. No more having to swap in the original to be read each time.

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

CDBurnerXP can do it, and is very lightweight/easy to use/free:
http://cdburnerxp.se/
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

I'd rip the DVD to an ISO image.

This way, he'll have the image on the PC as a backup and it can be used in the future, should more copies be desired, without needing the original DVD again.

Depending on your version of Roxio, you may be able to accomplish the task with their software.
If not, then use the program linked above by Grentz.

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

I'd rip the DVD to an ISO image.

This way, he'll have the image on the PC as a backup and it can be used in the future, should more copies be desired, without needing the original DVD again.

Depending on your version of Roxio, you may be able to accomplish the task with their software.
If not, then use the program linked above by Grentz.

This is what I did when I made a DVD for my father in-law's family reunion. I made about 20 copies, and then made a master disk image just in case someone else wanted one later on.

#7 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

if you're archiving a video like this (home movies, slide show, etc) is it better to burn the dvd image as a backup, the .iso as raw data, or to compress to an .avi? doing a similar project.
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#8 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

if you're archiving a video like this (home movies, slide show, etc) is it better to burn the dvd image as a backup, the .iso as raw data, or to compress to an .avi? doing a similar project.

I wouldn't compress the video unless it was necessary.
Either save the parent raw file or do an ISO image.

Of course, the sad reality is that all of these will most likely be obsolete in ten years.

#9 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

really, what do you see being the next big thing in "permanent" data storage by then? (no dr. who references, please)
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

really, what do you see being the next big thing in "permanent" data storage by then? (no dr. who references, please)

I would like to know as well as I have 100's of DVD's as archive for VHS and 8mm home movies, and more to do. Should I wait for something better? :)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...