Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I format my internal hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrianG

BrianG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:02 AM

I have a ViP-622 which seems to have lost at least two sectors. I can keep the bad sectors tied up on recorded programs that don't play, but once I erase them, the errors move to two other (future) recorded programs.

Can someone tell me how to perform a low level format of the internal hard drive? This should detect and spare out the bad sectors.

BTW, I am also a victim of the HDMI port going bad after more than a year of working fine. I never touch the receiver or the cable/connector so I believe that this is an active component problem, not a passive component problem (connector soldering issue) like some are talking about in other posts.

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

Why not just get a replacement 622?

#3 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

As mentioned above your only option is a replacement 622. There are no disk utilities an end user can run to recover bad sectors on the internal drive. Besides with a new box you'll most likely get a newer firmware, bootstrap, DNASP etc.

#4 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

As mentioned above your only option is a replacement 622. There are no disk utilities an end user can run to recover bad sectors on the internal drive. Besides with a new box you'll most likely get a newer firmware, bootstrap, DNASP etc.

If you search around the instructions for having the receiver reformat the drive exist. Not sure if a lower level format will be done that detects and marks the bad sectors so they will not be used.

Edited by tnsprin, 16 February 2009 - 08:44 AM.

Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#5 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

1. Menu
2. 6
3. 3 (the Diagnostic screen should appear)
4. Info
5. Right button
6. Left button (screen filled with hexadecimal figures should
appear)
7. Play
8. Play
9. Recall (message saying that the hard drive will be
re-initialized)

#6 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

1. Menu
2. 6
3. 3 (the Diagnostic screen should appear)
4. Info
5. Right button
6. Left button (screen filled with hexadecimal figures should
appear)
7. Play
8. Play
9. Recall (message saying that the hard drive will be
re-initialized)

Having just doing this last week, I can assure you it does not do a low level format at all. It is done so quickly that about all it has time to do is to zero out the initial tracks and make it look like it's empty. Besides, this procedure comes from a post about initializing the drive, not formatting the drive.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

I have a ViP-622 which seems to have lost at least two sectors.

How did you determine the loss of "at least two sectors"?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

I had a wierd experience with my 622; when I first got it, over two years ago, I got a few errors over the first few months with disk errors, saying I should re-initialize, etc.

Not wanting to lose all my recorded programs, I blew off the message, rebooted, and went on with life. This probably happened 4-5 times over the first month or two.

Strangly I haven't had an error since then, ran perfect ever since. Never lost anything. (fingers crossed)
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#9 OFFLINE   BrianG

BrianG

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

How did you determine the loss of "at least two sectors"?

I received an error when trying to play a recorded program. I deleted the program and found the error in another (future) recording. After a few time of this, I left the bad recording and I stopped getting the errors. A few months later, it happened again. If I delete the two bad programs, I get two new bad programs later. This is how I determined there must be at least two bad sectors.

Now, if there were only a way to perform a low-level format I could fix this and save myself and Dish some time and money.

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I received an error when trying to play a recorded program. I deleted the program and found the error in another (future) recording. After a few time of this, I left the bad recording and I stopped getting the errors. A few months later, it happened again. If I delete the two bad programs, I get two new bad programs later. This is how I determined there must be at least two bad sectors.

Now, if there were only a way to perform a low-level format I could fix this and save myself and Dish some time and money.

That's some pretty good troubleshooting. You might call Advanced Tech Support. They know several tips and tricks when it comes to things like this. Have you tried that?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Only if you open a cover and after hot-swap SATA cable, will connect to your PC and will run from bootable CD/floppy a program MHDD with ReMap=ON.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...