Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WNC vs. Eagle-Aspen LNB Questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

I have a Slimline dish with a set of WNC LNBs; live on cool-to-cold Wisconsin, and I have a few questions.

First -- is there any truth to the item that the WNC device can/does fail in cold weather?

Second -- assuming that one wants to buy a replacement LNB made by Eagle-Aspen, where can such a purchase be made?

Third -- if a switch was made from WNC to Eagle-Aspen, is there normally any need to re-aim the dish?

TIA for some advice!

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

WNC SWM is the LNB reported to have problems with cold. All AU9 LNBs are interchangable without reaiming. AT9 LNBs had to be replaced with the same manufacturer that is why they are replaced with AU9 automatically when they have problems.

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

You're refering to the SWM LNB's. Those are the ones that have cold weather issues. I actually have the WNC SWM LNB on my dish that I self installed and it hasn't failed me at all, then again it doesn't get that cold here in NC. If I were you I wouldn't waste time switching to an Eagle Aspen LNB, not that they're bad thats actually what was on my dish before I purchased the SWM LNB, but if you do decide to switch, the LNB's are easy to replace just becareful not to move the dish while replacing!! As far as purchasing one I would give solid signal a call and tell them exactly what you are looking for to ensure they don't send you another WNC, they are very helpful folks over at solid signal!!

#4 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

You're refering to the SWM LNB's. Those are the ones that have cold weather issues. I actually have the WNC SWM LNB on my dish that I self installed and it hasn't failed me at all, then again it doesn't get that cold here in NC. If I were you I wouldn't waste time switching to an Eagle Aspen LNB, not that they're bad thats actually what was on my dish before I purchased the SWM LNB, but if you do decide to switch, the LNB's are easy to replace just becareful not to move the dish while replacing!! As far as purchasing one I would give solid signal a call and tell them exactly what you are looking for to ensure they don't send you another WNC, they are very helpful folks over at solid signal!!

I've had the AU9 dish for a long time with some very cold sub-zero weather, and never had a problem until last night. Nothing worked at daybreak, and when I tried to restart the HR21, it stayed on "searching for satellite" endlessly, followed by a "771" for tuner 1 and 2. I finally went to work, came home at noon -- with some sun on the dish at 40+ degrees, and everything returned to normal; I got satellite info., all channels OK on all three receivers, etc.

So, obviously, the cold at night got to the dish's LNB array or built-in multi-switch, since, other than a couple of off/on power cycles, I did nothing to wires, connectors, etc. Also, Solid Signal does not have Eagle-Aspen LNB product, so I have to live with my WNC equipment. This brings me to the subject of heat tape, since I can easily run a power cord to the dish.

Where should the heat tape go, assuming it may do some good? Behind the faces of the three LNBs are three thin support necks, and behind them is the big oval main support element. I could easily wrap the heat tape around the necks, but I don't know if some heating there would help.

If anyone has some ideas or experience, I'd appreciate a response. The heat tape has a built-in thermostat, so it's not a case of "frying" the LNBs. I'm open for any and all ideas or suggestions.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#5 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Look at the serial #on the WNC lnb,if it read rev-1 that should be cold weather proof.At least that's what we were told.

#6 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Look at the serial #on the WNC lnb,if it read rev-1 that should be cold weather proof.At least that's what we were told.

Thanks, I'll look. Meanwhile, messing with this wonderful site, I found a "do it yourself" heat tape installation that I'm going to try. It's heat tape, clothespins, waterproof tape, etc. It's worth a try, and no damage to the dish, LNBs, etc. I can easily run power from a nearby outlet to the dish. The web site is:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=dish heater

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

Since you are using a SWM-8 it looks like you have a standard WNC 5 LNB. This is not affected by the issue.

It is only the SWMLine version that had some issues in the early version.

I had a WNC 5 LNB for years without issue in VERY cold weather.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

You've been told bad information.

The new WNC SWM lnbs that have had the zero degree issue corrected are:
SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1
SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1

The following could potentially have the zero degree issue:
SL3S-WNC
SL5S-WNC
SL3SPIG-WNC
SL5SPIG-WNC
SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1
SL5SPIG-WNC Rev 1
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#9 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I have a WNC-SWM-LNB that has been working flawless for a couple of years until last night. We got to -20F according to my deck therometer last night. The HR22-100 started looking for signal at about -10 and this morning both the HR22-100 and HR21-700 had 0 signal strength yet my HR20-700 was working fine. Can I assume they will come back when it warms up or do I need to start looking for a new SWM-LNB?

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

It'll be fine once it warms up.

#11 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

I have a WNC-SWM-LNB that has been working flawless for a couple of years until last night. We got to -20F according to my deck therometer last night. The HR22-100 started looking for signal at about -10 and this morning both the HR22-100 and HR21-700 had 0 signal strength yet my HR20-700 was working fine. Can I assume they will come back when it warms up or do I need to start looking for a new SWM-LNB?

I'd invest in a call to D* if the problem is cold weather CO. is probably going to see more before it warms up, and I would hope D* will replace it free.:)

Why resurrect an 8 mo. old thread instead of starting a new one?

#12 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

It did come back today but I am concerned that we may have a very cold winter this year.

I was doing a search and I guess I thought it might be better to bring the thread back if others were having the same issue.

#13 OFFLINE   det058

det058

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I just had a WNC LNB (SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1) replaced this morning that was giving me the 771 error message when the temps dropped below zero. The new LNB is an Eagle Aspen model, so I'm looking forward to not having problems going forward.

Ironically enough, the old WNC LNB replaced the original LNB that was installed with my SlimLine Dish last December. I'm not sure if the tech knew what he was doing, as the old WNC LNB wasn't attached with anything but coax. Chances are he just replaced one WNC LNB with another and the weather didn't get cold enough until last week to notice it. I'm hoping that the third LNB will be the charm!

In my opinion, if you're having problems with a WNC LNB and cold weather, it's worth the call to DirecTv to get it replaced.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike S

Mike S

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I have a SL3SPIG-WNC Rev. 1 LNB that failed in December 2010 and again in January 2011 due to cold temperatures. It was replaced today by a DirecTV tech who informed me that it had been recalled by DirecTV. Evidently, about 2000 of these units were mistakenly sent to the Denver area and installed about 2 years ago despite the fact that they were not designed for cold temperatures (below approx. 20 deg. F). My unit failed consistently between 0 and 5 deg. F. I have 3 receivers in the house. They would all fail over a time period of about 30 minutes. They did not fail simultaneously because the attenuation (signal loss) on the 3 coax cables from the splitter to the 3 receivers differed slightly due to different cable lengths, no. of connectors, moisture in the cables, etc. Although the LNB will work when temperatures rise, call DirecTV if you have this type of LNB and have them replace it.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

I have a SL3SPIG-WNC Rev. 1 LNB that failed in December 2010 and again in January 2011 due to cold temperatures. It was replaced today by a DirecTV tech who informed me that it had been recalled by DirecTV. Evidently, about 2000 of these units were mistakenly sent to the Denver area and installed about 2 years ago despite the fact that they were not designed for cold temperatures (below approx. 20 deg. F). My unit failed consistently between 0 and 5 deg. F. I have 3 receivers in the house. They would all fail over a time period of about 30 minutes. They did not fail simultaneously because the attenuation (signal loss) on the 3 coax cables from the splitter to the 3 receivers differed slightly due to different cable lengths, no. of connectors, moisture in the cables, etc. Although the LNB will work when temperatures rise, call DirecTV if you have this type of LNB and have them replace it.

Here's the list from two years ago:

The following could potentially have the zero degree issue:
SL3S-WNC
SL5S-WNC
SL3SPIG-WNC
SL5SPIG-WNC
SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1
SL5SPIG-WNC Rev 1

The new WNC SWM lnbs that have had the zero degree issue corrected are:
SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1
SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1

[Thanks to RobertE]
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Here are the a couple ive taken out that were bad.

SL3S4NR2-01
SL5S4NR2-01

obviously same part number, one 3 one 5 both are brown insert

Posted Image

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...