Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A local teams/sports pack question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tecumseh

tecumseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

I live in Central Indiana. With the sports pack, I'm covered by:

Fox-Cincinnati, Fox-Midwest and CSN-Chicago

Prior to this season, I've always received the Chicago Blackhawks as my local NHL team and, in spite of fact that the St. Louis Blues games were available to me via cable through Fox-Midwest locally, they were blacked out on FSW-MW via DirecTV.

This year, however, I've noticed that the Blues games ARE available live. But so still are the Blackhawk games. I was always under the impression that in areas like mine, where a particular team is not actually a local, per se, that only one NHL team was the claimant for the area. Have I been wrong about this?

A couple of additional things; the Indiana Pacers are, of course, my local NBA team, and are broadcast to me live on FOX-MW. Chicago Bulls games, via CSN-Chicago, are blacked out. Further, even though the Columbus Blue Jackets are occasionally, I believe, broadcast also on Fox-Cincinnati, those games are still blacked out, which would seem to conflict with the whole Blues/Blackhawks reception.

While I'm a hardcore baseball fan and understand, sadly, the circus that is the current MLB policy on blackouts, I'm only a casual hockey/basketball fan. But I also thought the NHL/NBA territory policies were much more straightforward. Could anyone shed some light on this? I would appreciate any insight!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JonSamuels

JonSamuels

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Go to www.directv.com/rsn and enter your zip code to find out what teams are available in your area with or without the Sports Pack.

As far as the NHL goes, I get the Blackhawks, Wild, and Blues in Des Moines, so you can have more than one NHL team.

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,323 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Here is what it says on D*'s site for your zip code.

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 661) - HD Available
Reds (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 665) - HD Available
Cubs (HD Available)

White Sox (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 671) - HD Available
Indiana Pacers (HD Available)

St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

#4 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

As far as the NHL goes, I get the Blackhawks, Wild, and Blues in Des Moines, so you can have more than one NHL team.

As for baseball, Cubs, Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Twins . . . and does anyone know what's happening this season with the Royals? Even with MLBEI it seemed their games were unavailable in Des Moines.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#5 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

MLB is nuts with regards to blackouts. I am in Arkansas, a St. Louis Cardinals "home" area. I can subscribe to the Sports Pack and get Fox Midwest (my free network is Fox Southwest) and see many STL games. I can get MLB EI and see lots of other teams. Ultimately, though, some dinky station that I can't get can buy a Cardinals game and I won't get it despite subscribing to the Sports Pack and MLB EI. It's craziness. MLB's blackout rules make about as much sense as Congress.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#6 OFFLINE   Spiffyis5150

Spiffyis5150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

I live in Tulsa and I'm in the exact same situation. Among other reasons of moving from Cox to Directv was that I can at least get more games on Fox Sports Midwest(I've also got Fox Spts SW which SUCKS even for free) and get to see all the pre-game/postgame talk about the Redbirds. Cox would occasionally rebroadcast the Fox Channel 5 Cardinals games, but it wasn't nearly enough and I just got sick and tired of seeing Astros and Rangers games more than the Cardinals games. I'm hopeful that between the national broadcasts and the Fox Sports Midwest stuff that I will be able to see more games this year than ever, but I sure would love it if I could see every game. MLB really needs to fix their stupid blackouts.

#7 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

I hear ya, spiffy. I have nothing against the Rangers and the Astros, but I'm sick of watching their games instead of the Redbirds! :)

Fox MW is nice, though, and it's almost all in HD.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#8 OFFLINE   JonSamuels

JonSamuels

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

As for baseball, Cubs, Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Twins . . . and does anyone know what's happening this season with the Royals? Even with MLBEI it seemed their games were unavailable in Des Moines.

They were on Sports Pack last year for me on FSN-Kansas City (672).

#9 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

When I go to directv.com/rsn it lists this for my zip, 46804:
Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 665) - HD Available
# Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
# Cubs (HD Available)
# White Sox (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Indiana Pacers (HD Available)
# St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

However, last year I also received FSN Indiana(with Reds announcers), which had many Reds games on and I didn't subscribe to the sports pack. How come this is not listed on the website?

#10 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

They were on Sports Pack last year for me on FSN-Kansas City (672).

Hmm. I seemed to recall they were blacked out for me, but perhaps not. Will see this year, as I will not renew MLBEI.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#11 OFFLINE   JonSamuels

JonSamuels

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hmm. I seemed to recall they were blacked out for me, but perhaps not. Will see this year, as I will not renew MLBEI.

They were definitely on for me last year. I only have Sports Pack...no MLB EI.

spam firewall