Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP622 audio dropout - maybe a surprise fix?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

I have a Mitsubishi wd-65732 and a Dish VIP622 DVR. Ever since a lamp change last summer the TV started shutting off randomly and taking forever to restart, and recently ( a couple of weeks) all kinds of audio dropout issues with the DVR. The audio problems were first with recordings and playback, and then with many HD channels. I'm not terribly technical with any of this nor did I spend much time on it. We called service on the TV and they couldn't find anything wrong, same on the DVR - they were all clueless. So I was rooting around and found the troubleshooting section of the TV manual which said the blinking panel light when it shuts off could be due to power conditioning issues.

Bottom line - I bought a Monster AV700 Audio Video PowerCenter to try and see if it would help the TV - believing firmly that it would not but I could check the box with Mits Service weenies plus I could always return it to BestBuy. Surprise! The TV seems to be all better and the DVR audio dropout disappeared. Even recordings where the audio was dead are now good.

Honestly, I have no idea if the PowerCenter actually did the trick but I didn’t change anything else (and maybe it won't last but I'm keeping my fingers crossed). So – it may be worth a try or tell me I’m nuts – just wanted to pass on my personal experience. Also not making a pitch for the Monster product – it was the cheapest one at BestBuy that claimed to clean up the AC power. Hope this helps.

Edited by Scott2, 16 February 2009 - 12:39 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

IMO, you'd have been better off with a UPS than with an overprices power strip, but I'm glad things are working better for you.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

How would the UPS be better and which one would you recommend? The power strip was $55.

#4 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

I thought of that, but at least in my case the power line is clearly not a factor. Proof? Dropouts *never* happen with SD shows.
That's why, in my case, the culprit is the ViP622, and it's most surely a software problem, or a very bizarre hardware engineering problem that probably passes unnoticed to most users.

#5 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,502 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

I thought of that, but at least in my case the power line is clearly not a factor. Proof? Dropouts *never* happen with SD shows.
That's why, in my case, the culprit is the ViP622, and it's most surely a software problem, or a very bizarre hardware engineering problem that probably passes unnoticed to most users.

Just to be fair... I'm not sure that is proof.

Most SD channels have PCM audio. The HD channels typically have Dolby Digital 5.1, though some have 2.0... so while I have no proof of powerline problems causing audio issues, IF that were the case it could affect some audio formats more than others.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

Well, in my case at least they *never* happen with SD, Dish or OTA, so I don't even care to check what is the sound format. On the other hand, I'm sure that I'm having dropouts with both DD5.1 and DD2.0, examples, PBS NOVA is DD2.0 and has dropouts, and HDNet Movies are normally DD5.1 and also has dropouts.

#7 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,502 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm by no means signing up for the "it is caused by power problems" camp... but it's an explanation I hadn't thought of before and tie that to problems with the digital audio formats carrying more data (Dolby 2/5.1 vs PCM 2 channel) and there could be something to it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

I also did not have SD dropouts - only on HD and annoyingly random. Sometimes a few and often more of the HD channels would drop the audio - originally on recordings and then live shows. I would never have guessed that the power was poorly conditioned to the extent that it caused these problems since we live in a fairly new residential area with no factories or other obvious power polluters, etc. However, I installed the magic power conditioner and all is now well.

I won't claim that's actually the source of the fix - I simply don't know but it's the only change I made.

Also - a neighbor is one of the s/w weenies who writes/architects the code for cable STBs. He said that often the HDMI link is fragile (crappy) and power fluctutaions could indeed exacerbate the problems. Again, I actually know nothing and I'm just passing on my personal experience.

So - it may be worth testing and eliminating power conditioning as a possible factor. If it has no effect, simply take it back to the store. If the problems go away then you win. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

OK, thanks, cable is ruled out, it happens both on analog and optical, and I exchanged the cables and nothing changed. I doubt it's power anyway because I can see sometimes power fluctuation (the lights flicker) and audio is never affected by that. I would be surprised if this is the cause when audio is affected only when lights seem steady and never when they flicker. Optical cabling rules out electromagnetic interference too.

#10 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Scott2,

If your 65732 is shutting off, then there is a problem with the temp sensor board in the TV. Mits will replace it for free as it is a known problem. Give them a call.

S~

#11 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

My friend was referring to the stability of the HDMI link software and data transmission challenges I think, not the physical cable.

In any event - I was also certain the power had nothing to do with my problems. I only got the conditioner because my TV kept shutting off and this was listed as a potential solution in the troubleshooting section. I wanted to eliminate it so I didn't have to argue with the CSR at Mitsubishi. When the TV and DVR problems went away after I installed the Monster unit I was very surprised but happy.

Again - try it and prove it has nothing to do with the problem and then move to the next possible fix. I see no downside in trying it.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott2

Scott2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Teachsac,

we did have that temp sensor problem as well and had it fixed twice. When it started shutting off again of course it wouldn't do it when the service guy was here or when they took it to their shop for a week but he was sure the temp sensor was OK.

Thanks!

spam firewall