Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv install today and want to get OD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

I see that I need something else to get connected to On Demand.

I have a router....it is a DLink.

What is the least expensive way to make this work?

FWIW: My TV/HD receiver is downstairs and my wireless router is upstairs.

The Directv site says I need 2 internet connection wall mounts. Is this correct? Can I get them just anywhere?

Is there a less expensive way?

Thank you!,

Dawn

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

The DIRECTV HomePlug solution is among the least expensive and the easiest to set up.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

Your other option would be to get a wireless adapter with an ethernet connection, not USB.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

#4 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Easier is better! :D

So, can I get this at Home Depot? I don't have to order it do I?

Dawn

The DIRECTV HomePlug solution is among the least expensive and the easiest to set up.

#5 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thank you.

I know that if you get Tivo, they sell a USB thingie to connect, I just wondered if Directv had anything like that?

BTW: I want another HD DVR, but I am waiting for DTV Tivo to come out before getting one.

Dawn

Your other option would be to get a wireless adapter with an ethernet connection, not USB.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thank you.

I know that if you get Tivo, they sell a USB thingie to connect, I just wondered if Directv had anything like that?

BTW: I want another HD DVR, but I am waiting for DTV Tivo to come out before getting one.

Dawn

DIRECTV sells the Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter and the Powerline adapters.

#7 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

I see that, just wondered if I could get it locally today instead of waiting, and if I could avoid paying $10 for shipping.

Thanks,

Dawn

DIRECTV sells the Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter and the Powerline adapters.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

I see that, just wondered if I could get it locally today instead of waiting, and if I could avoid paying $10 for shipping.

Thanks,

Dawn

You could get them from places like Best Buy. I know that have the Linksys WGA600N. But I am not sure what powerline adapters they sell.

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Keep in mind that it typically takes 12-24 hours from when the DVR gets connected to the Internet before the OnDemand content is available.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

Keep in mind that it typically takes 12-24 hours from when the DVR gets connected to the Internet before the OnDemand content is available.

For it to be completely available.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

I would go with the WGA600N Adapter as the Powerline I have does not work and others have reported spotty results. It all depends on how your house is wired and if the two lines are on the same system.

The WGA600N is sold by Directv and Linksys got it to work very easily as far as connectivity goes.

You didn't mention whether you Router was "G" speed or what but the DVRs transmit in up to 100 Mbps speed so "G" is fine but "N" will not gain you anything.

#12 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I didn't mention it because I have NO idea!

The box says DLink, DIR 625 on it. Does that tell you anything?

I went to Directv and tried to order the wireless adapter from Directv and it says, "Sorry, this product is not available for your system." Could this be because I have only been a customer a few hours?

If the wireless will work, I would prefer that.

I would go with the WGA600N Adapter as the Powerline I have does not work and others have reported spotty results. It all depends on how your house is wired and if the two lines are on the same system.

The WGA600N is sold by Directv and Linksys got it to work very easily as far as connectivity goes.

You didn't mention whether you Router was "G" speed or what but the DVRs transmit in up to 100 Mbps speed so "G" is fine but "N" will not gain you anything.

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

What kind of Directv Receiver or DVR do you have. For example, an HR21 or HR22 or HR23 or whatever?

Your DIR625 is an "N" speed Router which is top of the line as far as speed and is backware compatible with "G" speed so you are okay but if Directv is telling you that it is not compatible then maybe they don't know that you have upgraded to a device that is compatible.

#14 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

My DVR is an HR22 it says on the box.

Dawn

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

Well, you should be able to buy it and you should be Good To Go!!!

Call Directv and tell them what you have and what you want and ask them why it says not available to you. It is a piece of cake compared to others I have installed. The Powerline may or may not work as they pick up alot of interference and may not work if on a separate system or line if it is on a different breaker.

Edited by Richierich, 16 February 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

My DVR is an HR22 it says on the box.

Dawn

The HR22 is compaible with the wireless game adapter. As far as the powerline setup, since your router is upstairs and the 22 is downstairs, that doesn't look good. My 2 story has separate breakers for each story and when I tried the powerline for my slingbox, no luck. I'm not sure how much D* sells the game adapter for, but I bought mine at BB that I use on my HR20 in my bedroom.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

The Linksys WGA600N will be easily found in any electronics store locally, as well as online. It is the only wireless product that is natively supported by the HR2x-series receivers, which allows you to configure it directly from the receiver on-screen, instead of having to pre-configure it at the computer.

It sounds like that's your best option.

#18 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

The Directv Price is $84.98 which is $79.99 plus shipping which is $4.99.

#19 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thanks. I think the other was $10 because it was $5 for each item.

Any idea how long it will take to get here?

Dawn

The Directv Price is $84.98 which is $79.99 plus shipping which is $4.99.

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Depends on how they ship it and where they ship it from. Probably 3 to 5 business days.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...