Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trekkies rejoice - new star trek blu ray releases coming

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

For those (of us) who are Trekkies...the long-awaited Blu Ray versions of the original series and all Motion Picture versions are coming soon...

There will be several "packages" in how these various new releases can be purchased...dates and MSRP prices are also included at this link.

Details here:

http://www.blu-rayst...ed-for-the-usa/
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,605 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Woo Hooo!!!!! Thanks, fan, this is GREAT news!!!!!
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

I suspect there will be plenty of folks selecting something from this list of goodies.

The other good news is that it's not that long of a wait. :)

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

More goodies to wet the Star Trek Blu Ray fan appetite...

Attached Thumbnails

• ORIGINAL SERIES.jpg
  • ORIGINAL SERIES 2.jpg
  • ORIGINAL SERIES 3.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,413 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

Good news indeed...thanks for the heads up. :D
And here is the link from thedigitalbits.com in regards to this news.

http://www.thedigita...tartrekannounce

Steve

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

The movies are probably a day-one buy for me (I'll buy the whole set)... but I will probably have to wait for a sale on the TV sets.

I bought the DVD release a few years back at $99 per, so the Blu versions (reported to include original AND remastered versions) will be nice and probably around the same price but it will be harder to justify the re-buy on those for a while.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

I suspect I'll either get the full Blu Ray 6-Movie set or at least the 3-Movie Blu Ray Trilogy set.

Either way...seeing these in glorious HD will be fantastic.

Wrath of Khan (ST II) is remastered...it had to be since the original negative was in such poor condition.

#8 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

If I had known this was 'news' I'd have put up a link to the discussions about it at HDD.com about 10 days back...

Once HD DVD was dead, with Paramount failing to push out the HD DVD sets they were working on of season 2 and season 3 of the original series, it was only a matter of time before there would be Blu-ray versions of the original series and the original movies. Paramount knows they're sitting on a gold mine with those titles and nothing will stop them from making big bank on same... even with a weak economy there'll be people spending the $$ without even blinkin'
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

If I had known this was 'news' I'd have put up a link to the discussions about it at HDD.com about 10 days back...

Once HD DVD was dead, with Paramount failing to push out the HD DVD sets they were working on of season 2 and season 3 of the original series, it was only a matter of time before there would be Blu-ray versions of the original series and the original movies. Paramount knows they're sitting on a gold mine with those titles and nothing will stop them from making big bank on same... even with a weak economy there'll be people spending the $$ without even blinkin'

Can't seem to find any site called HDD.com...

Paramount's announcement was dated last week...so wondering how that site would have it ahead of time.....hmmm....

In any case, the HD DVD release of the First Season sold like hotcakes once they showed off the remastered special effects version....amazing indeed.

The Blu Ray (with 7.1 surround) should be even better...

#10 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

Can't seem to find any site called HDD.com...

Paramount's announcement was dated last week...so wondering how that site would have it ahead of time.....hmmm....

In any case, the HD DVD release of the First Season sold like hotcakes once they showed off the remastered special effects version....amazing indeed.

The Blu Ray (with 7.1 surround) should be even better...

HDD = HighDefDigest.com

Thread in forums: here as of 1/24/2009

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

HDD = HighDefDigest.com

Thread in forums: here as of 1/24/2009

Strange...I'm on that site too almost every day and never saw that posting there....:eek2:...shame on me....

In any case....lots to look forward to....I suspect these will sell very well.

I suspect we'll see them listed on Amazon and other places soon.

#12 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

Strange...I'm on that site too almost every day and never saw that posting there....:eek2:...shame on me....

In any case....lots to look forward to....I suspect these will sell very well.

I suspect we'll see them listed on Amazon and other places soon.

As noted in discussion there, I think it'll really depend upon pricing and bundling constraints that might influence the pricing on the whole. If the prices are kept reasonable (there's some discusssion there on possible pricing for season 1 TOS set that seems like it might actually be priced at levels that are almost reasonable...) they could sell a ton, but if they jack the prices up and/or get stupid and require people buying the movies to buy the complete set and not just singles it could keep the sales down for a while.

I have the first season (of TOS) on HD DVD and have no intention of going back to buy it on Blu-ray at this point. The only thing that would convince me otherwise would be prices that are just so insanely tempting that I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't take advantage. Even then, well, I'd likely still save my money if possible, and maybe, just maybe, spend it on season 2 or season 3.

In truth, there's one or two of the films that I'd be interested in owning, and about 4 - 5 episodes from the second and third season of TOS that I'd like to have. While I enjoy the rest, I don't consider them all must owns and don't really want to pay that much.

#13 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,609 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

I don't have any Trek on DVD, so I will definitely be getting Wrath of Khan once it comes out.

#14 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country are great...

But, I want First Contact. That's by far my favorite :)
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#15 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,605 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

I'm a huge fan, but Undiscovered Country sucked.

I have season one of TOS on HDDVD, and the phaser remote.
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

Bring It......

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

I suspect you'll see these at Amazon and other places at a competitive price. Actually, the MSRP prices are lower than other similar Blu Ray packages I've seen to start with...so these will likely sell well.

If anyone has seen the digital remastered scenes that were done in the HD DVD version for TOS....you'll be very impressed with the imagery...they've now raised the bar further in the audio for Blu Ray...

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Well you know what I'll be doing...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

And wait for the Super Deluxe Set when they decide to release the director's Cut of each movie on Blu-Ray. The release I read specifically said "theatrical cut" of the 6 "TOS" movies.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

They won't be doing the Super-Extended cut of ST:TMP (the first one) because all the new effects were produced in SD. Short-sighted, that. Also, all the restorations to the other movies were also done in SD. That's why they are leading with the theatrical versions.

I am a little bummed that at this point I can't pick and choose which movies I'd like to see. Star Treks 1,2,4,6, and First Contact would be the only ones I'd buy, and 1 is sort of iffy. So I'll start with the 2-3-4 set and when the others are available individually I'll buy those.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall