Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trekkies rejoice - new star trek blu ray releases coming

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

And wait for the Super Deluxe Set when they decide to release the director's Cut of each movie on Blu-Ray. The release I read specifically said "theatrical cut" of the 6 "TOS" movies.

This is the part that worries me the most. The theatrical cuts of all the movies are fine except for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. When the movie was originally released, it was basically unfinished. A few years ago before his death, the director (Robert Wise) went back (with some help) and finished the movie by adding special effects and trimming some scenes. The director's cut is absolutely wonderful compared to the theatrical cut. Personally I think the theatrical cut should be thrown in the garbage.

I will be buying the movie pack but won't watch ST:TMP. I will stick with the regular DVD on that one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

They won't be doing the Super-Extended cut of ST:TMP (the first one) because all the new effects were produced in SD. Short-sighted, that. Also, all the restorations to the other movies were also done in SD. That's why they are leading with the theatrical versions.

I am a little bummed that at this point I can't pick and choose which movies I'd like to see. Star Treks 1,2,4,6, and First Contact would be the only ones I'd buy, and 1 is sort of iffy. So I'll start with the 2-3-4 set and when the others are available individually I'll buy those.

I'll likely be taking the same approach with the 2-3-4 set.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

They won't be doing the Super-Extended cut of ST:TMP (the first one) because all the new effects were produced in SD. Short-sighted, that. Also, all the restorations to the other movies were also done in SD. That's why they are leading with the theatrical versions.

I am a little bummed that at this point I can't pick and choose which movies I'd like to see. Star Treks 1,2,4,6, and First Contact would be the only ones I'd buy, and 1 is sort of iffy. So I'll start with the 2-3-4 set and when the others are available individually I'll buy those.

I was just about to put up a note to let folks know, and/or remind those that are considering either of the sets that they are sets only and you can't mix and match.

As you've noted, there's a Genesis story arc version (II, III, and IV) which is much less expensive (approx. $50 retail), and the complete set (I - VI, with some bonus material making an extra disc) which will be approx. $110 retail.

Amazon should hopefully have some nice discounts (as would other places, such as DeepDiscount.com, etc.), but it's still not going to be all that cheap and there won't be any mixing and matching short of people buying sets and selling off pieces (which is not all that likely to happen).

I might, just might, fall for the Genesis arc version, but as noted it's all Theatrical versions, rather than Director's cuts and sooner or later Director's cut versions should show up.

That all said, (don't laugh please!), I'm really most interested in snagging IV, and am not rushed at all to get the others. If I saw that one split off by someone, I'd probably just snag it by it's lonesome.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,826 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

...and I wonder how many copies of Star Trek III and Star Trek V will show up on eBay and in Salvation Army donation boxes :lol:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

That would exactly my list of movies. The rest aren't worth it. ;)

I would also want TOS.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

...and I wonder how many copies of Star Trek III and Star Trek V will show up on eBay and in Salvation Army donation boxes :lol:

That's just soooooooo wrong......:eek2::eek2::eek2::D

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

I just mailed two VHS copies to you.

Let me know when you get them.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

I just mailed two VHS copies to you.

Let me know when you get them.

Mike

...not to mention if you can play them at all....:D

I am soooo looking forward to seeing these HD beauties on my large screen. I'm gonna have a Star Trek Movie Festival for about 15 people in the Home Theater, I believe...

#29 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

...not to mention if you can play them at all....:D

I am soooo looking forward to seeing these HD beauties on my large screen. I'm gonna have a Star Trek Movie Festival for about 15 people in the Home Theater, I believe...

I'd be interested in a comparison of the HDDVD and Blu-Ray version of the season 1 TOS set. Obviously the audio won't compare well, but the video would be an interesting one I'd think......

#30 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'd be interested in a comparison of the HDDVD and Blu-Ray version of the season 1 TOS set. Obviously the audio won't compare well, but the video would be an interesting one I'd think......

I suspect they will be virtually (no pun intended) identical...as the master for both will be the same, and the output for both is 1080p.

The audio is supposedly the only "enhancement" over the HD DVD version.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I read somewhere that while the remastered episodes are still 4:3 (as they should be) that some new scenes (like a view of Vulcan from a distance) were also rendered in 16x9 for Japan. It'd be cool to get those as extras or seamless-branching on the Blu ray as well... but I've seen nothing that would indicate it to be so.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#32 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I read somewhere that while the remastered episodes are still 4:3 (as they should be) that some new scenes (like a view of Vulcan from a distance) were also rendered in 16x9 for Japan. It'd be cool to get those as extras or seamless-branching on the Blu ray as well... but I've seen nothing that would indicate it to be so.

That is correct for Star Trek, the Original Series (TOS) - it was filmed in 4:3 and will always be 4:3.

#33 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

That is correct for Star Trek, the Original Series (TOS) - it was filmed in 4:3 and will always be 4:3.

Except a very few of the effects shots that were enhanced for the HD DVD version were done in 16x9 and those are included 'in place' (seamlessly branched in) when you play back the episodes from the T.O.S. season 1 HD DVD set.

Meaning that as you watch the episode you see 4x3 with some framing and 'additional content' on the sides of the screen to help use all of the available 16x9 screen width, and for a precious few shots you see a 16x9 image where new effects were done. As soon as the effect shot is done, back to 4x3 which is what the main content was done as.

As noted it was framed (during filming) for 4x3, and that won't be changed.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

spam firewall