Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Center Ice all in HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shaggyric

shaggyric

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Does anyone know why the NHL Center Ice package does not broadcast all hockey games in HD...despite the fact the the game IS being broadcast in HD in the cities where the teams are involved. Especially the Canadian teams broadcast. Not one is broadcast in HD. I hate standard def. Ugh. Any help on this.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi - welcome!

Please check the D* Programming and Services forum for a long-running thread on this subject.

Easy answer is that many games are not produced in HD yet.

#3 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:25 AM

Does anyone know why the NHL Center Ice package does not broadcast all hockey games in HD...despite the fact the the game IS being broadcast in HD in the cities where the teams are involved. Especially the Canadian teams broadcast. Not one is broadcast in HD. I hate standard def. Ugh. Any help on this.

The Canadian HD games are not broadcast in HD on CI in the states because it requires a piece of equipment/and or something that is too expensive for D* to buy because of the limited number of NHLCI subs.

The games on MSG- you can read the current thread for details.

#4 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Because the Dolans who own the Rangers, and therefore hold the Isles and devils hostage on MSG, are a family of rat bas%$#ds who don't care a bit about teh fans, only about their cable TV empire!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#5 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

Because the Dolans who own the Rangers, and therefore hold the Isles and devils hostage on MSG, are a family of rat bas%$#ds who don't care a bit about teh fans, only about their cable TV empire!

Dude, tell us how you really feel :grin:
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#6 OFFLINE   MudMover

MudMover

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Actually odd...I can watch Rangers away games..in HD...on MSG HD...but not the home games. Weird.

#7 OFFLINE   codeyh

codeyh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

at least some of your teams have full TV coverage.. if it weren't for some of the away teams, Nashville wouldn't have every game on TV.

#8 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Do the Kings or Ducks ever do HD games ? I can't remember the last time I saw them televise a HD home game.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

If you want to know about your actual team you'd need to check with your local team or the RSN that carries them. For example, all the Red Wings home games are in HD unless they get bumped to Fox Sports Plus. Many of the away games this year are also in HD (first time). Usually the ones that aren't are when they go on a Western Canada trip or to the west coast. The key though is every game is on Fox Sports Detroit which does a lot of HD.

Another key is how popular is your team. For example, in the past the Coyotes only did something like 5 or 10 games in HD because the RSN that carries their games would rather show college basketball in HD because so many more people watch the BBall. Red Wings are the #1 rated thing on the RSN (almost any RSN) thus they get HD priority most of the time. But that's not the case unfortunately for many of the NHL teams, especially those out west and down south. But those in the east and others like the Wings do get decent ratings and thus get more HD love.

As for the Canadian home feeds like from CSN or Rogers, it's just that DirecTV doesn't have that HD feed available to them either because of a technical issue or contracts.

Edited by bonscott87, 18 February 2009 - 02:27 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

The really frustrating part is that the MSG games are almost all in HD, both home and away. Only when a game is shunted to MSG2+ (alternate) is the game actually in SD. The problem is the juvenile Dolan family and their spat with the league. The games are broadcast in HD, but that feed is withheld from NHLCI out of spite.

Dolans Suck!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#11 OFFLINE   recorder

recorder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Do the Kings or Ducks ever do HD games ? I can't remember the last time I saw them televise a HD home game.

Matter of fact, last night's was HD.
If you're a Ducks fan it was really Low REZZZZ:lol:

I haven't confirmed, but I think I have enough fingers to count the number of Kings/Ducks HD offerings on Fox Sports West feeds.
I'll bet the Fakers games are HD, eh?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...