Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV to pick up local KCRG digital transimission

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Balestrom

Balestrom

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

I am reposting this so it is not hidden in a previous thread....

I have been communicating with the station manager from KCRG over the past couple weeks. I was thrilled to read his latest email....

Jason,

I thought you would like to know that we were able to come to an agreement this afternoon with DirecTV on retransmission rights to the KCRG digital signal.

When I asked them how long it would take to launch I was told that it could take up to 3 weeks, which I find absurd, but that’s how dealing with them is.

Perhaps you could pass this information along to the other DBS users.

Regards,

John

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mph45

mph45

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to watching Lost without having to trust an antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

When I asked them how long it would take to launch I was told that it could take up to 3 weeks, which I find absurd, but that’s how dealing with them is.

I just love the "It only takes a flip of a switch" mentality. :rolleyes:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I just love the "It only takes a flip of a switch" mentality. :rolleyes:

Well, all you have to due is set up the equipment to capture, retransmit to a central location, decode, re-encode, and multiplex it in with all the other signals going up to the same transponder...once that is done, you just flip the switch right... :D

#5 OFFLINE   Balestrom

Balestrom

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Since I have managed to have two threads on the subject, I am updating both.

:grin:

Per the email I received from the KCRG station manager, DirecTV will be launching KCRG in HD tommorow. He provided the email from Linda at DirecTV stating such.

Please see other thread for details of the letters.

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

Since I have managed to have two threads on the subject, I am updating both.

:grin:

Per the email I received from the KCRG station manager, DirecTV will be launching KCRG in HD tommorow. He provided the email from Linda at DirecTV stating such.

Please see other thread for details of the letters.

Thanks

Confirmed. Up and runnng at 6am this morning.

#7 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

Of the 10 minutes I watched of it this morning, Good Morning America looked great. I'm excited I can finally watch Lost in HD now.:grin:

Not to venture too far off topic but does anyone think KWKB (CW) will ever be HD? It's the last one in our market.

#8 OFFLINE   Balestrom

Balestrom

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

Of the 10 minutes I watched of it this morning, Good Morning America looked great. I'm excited I can finally watch Lost in HD now.:grin:

Not to venture too far off topic but does anyone think KWKB (CW) will ever be HD? It's the last one in our market.

I am exicited to watch Lost in HD through DirecTV. I was using my AM21 and antenna to pull it in HD, but the signal was never reliable. 50/50 shot that I could watch in HD. Now, I can stop worring about my antenna!

I don't watch anything on KWKB, so I really am personally unconcerned. But you may want to email the station manager and get a conversation going. I posted my conversations with KCRG on another thread, because the station manager was giving me valuable information.

Don't know if it will help or not, but perhaps a very well written, diplomatic email with some pressure applied may open the lines of communication... and if not, at least they know there are viewers interested in watching their station in HD.

#9 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

I am exicited to watch Lost in HD through DirecTV. I was using my AM21 and antenna to pull it in HD, but the signal was never reliable. 50/50 shot that I could watch in HD. Now, I can stop worring about my antenna!

I don't watch anything on KWKB, so I really am personally unconcerned. But you may want to email the station manager and get a conversation going. I posted my conversations with KCRG on another thread, because the station manager was giving me valuable information.

Don't know if it will help or not, but perhaps a very well written, diplomatic email with some pressure applied may open the lines of communication... and if not, at least they know there are viewers interested in watching their station in HD.

We're thinking alike. Here's the response I received from the station:

As a matter of fact we are working on engineering our HD equipment
right now.
There is a LOT of work involved in rebuilding our set-up for HD
signals, however it's
defiantly in-motion. As for Direct-TV carrying the signal once it's
ready I would certainly
hope so however we don't really have anything to do with that end of
things.

Thanks for your inquiry and as always, thanks for watching!

Not sure who he's talking about in terms of the person who deals with dealing with Directv though.

#10 OFFLINE   Balestrom

Balestrom

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

We're thinking alike. Here's the response I received from the station:

As a matter of fact we are working on engineering our HD equipment
right now.
There is a LOT of work involved in rebuilding our set-up for HD
signals, however it's
defiantly in-motion. As for Direct-TV carrying the signal once it's
ready I would certainly
hope so however we don't really have anything to do with that end of
things.

Thanks for your inquiry and as always, thanks for watching!

Not sure who he's talking about in terms of the person who deals with dealing with Directv though.

Well, I get a few things from that email. One, they may not be currently provide an HD signal at all, just digital. Is that correct?

KCRG is the number one station in Eastern Iowa, I am sure these guys are at the bottom of the rung by a huge margin. I am guessing that DirecTV is not as interested in them as they were with KCRG. In other words, with all the other locals they are turning up in HD around the country, these guys are probably not much of a priority. But that is just a guess.

It will be interesting to see what happens once they have they HD up and going.

Keep up the communications with them! Check on there progress. I'd ask when they plan to begin broadcasting in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   midbro78

midbro78

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

As most of you now know KCRG is now in HD for those with a HD package.Channel 20 filed for bankruptcy and is not even going digital untill its financial status is cleared up. Since the 72.5 sat is nearing its end of life it is only time before this area goes to a one dish (KA/KU) market with locals on 99 and 103.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...