Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

4 (San Francisco) stations drop analog signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

From SF Gate:

4 Bay Area stations drop analog signal

Four Bay Area television stations will cease analog transmissions Tuesday, almost four months ahead of the June 12 deadline for broadcasters to go all-digital.

The four stations - KCNS (Channel 38), KOFY (Channel 20), KICU (Channel 36) and KFTY (Channel 50) - will no longer be available to consumers with older TV sets that rely on over-the-air signals.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

I think that SF is pretty opulent. The TV stations there are probably passing out free DTV converters!

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

All independent stations.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

All independent stations.

Been away from the Bay Area for a while....are any of those stations still owned by James Gabbert? I remember he always tried to stay "cutting edge" with his stations.....

#5 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

I think that SF is pretty opulent. The TV stations there are probably passing out free DTV converters!

those are all independent stations that get very low ratings. I'm sure they don't have the cash to hand out free DTV converters. And, because of the geography, there are many people who can't get OTA signal anyway. I can get all of these stations OTA, but they aren't in HD via OTA, so I always picked them up from DirecTV anyway.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#6 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

Been away from the Bay Area for a while....are any of those stations still owned by James Gabbert? I remember he always tried to stay "cutting edge" with his stations.....

Jim Gabert has sold his "TV20" station, the current owner I think is Granite Broadcasting. They were doing ok until the demise of The CW, they just recently went back to "Your TV20" and bringing back the famous dogs in their ads. KGO is producing a 9pm newcast and placing it on TV20. Jim Gabert use to show up every once in a while on KGO radio as a guest host but I haven't heard him in a while.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...