Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sat Radio and Liberty Media Reach Deal

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

:up:

FCC and the financial collapse is the culprit...I can't think of a better radio/salesman to lead this company better than Mel...

some of the December debt is already moved to 2011...the May debt will get paid with the additional loan (at least most of it) and the rest of the December debt will be paid with revenue that is generated between now and then...

Mel saved the shareholders...if only he can sue the FCC!

Very well stated and I am in total agreement.

The FCC's behavior, coupled with the shameful Congressional Committee hearings on this were an absolute disgrace.

Maxine Waters couldn't even be troubled to pronounce Mel's name correctly, after sitting in the hearing and listening to the proper pronounciation of his name repeatedly.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Last I checked into XM pricing, while an annual subscription was an option, you only paid a years-worth of the current rate (as paid quarterly). As a result, if the rates went up during the year, your 4th quarter was essentially screwed and you'd find out when the radio didn't work.

It was outlined in the fine print of the subscriber agreement (along with a nice mandatory arbitration clause), so I ate it for a total of two years and canceled when I couldn't take the abuse any more.

Mine is a LIFETIME (not annual) sub which XM just started to use late last year. I think as an attempt to get more money and stupid me paid for it to try to help the company stay afloat. I thought I could save Sirius XM by myself :lol: I soon found out my pockets were not that deep :nono: And I didn't know what would happen to my lifetime sub if Sirius XM didn't meet that Feb 17th debt. Thank goodness for Mr. Malone :sunsmile: Sirius had the Lifetime sub for a long time may be since they started-- I'm not sure how long because I didn't and don't have Sirius.

#53 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

I am in my vehicle about 2500 miles a week, and where I drive, FM radio isnt an option, so I love XM. I was interested in the "cd quality" internet usage as well. When I got the Email saying they were dropping the internet from my account and wanting me to subscribe for a set period to keep internet, I checked here. Seeing Dollys comment that they offered a lifetime sub with internet, for the cost of a 3 1/2 yr (approx) sub, with lifetime internet included, I just had to go that route. My only concern was the $75 transfer fee if my radio breaks, but Ill chance it :) Thanks for the info Dolly. There wasnt anything on their web site that I could find, that showed they offered a Lifetime sub.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#54 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

I am in my vehicle about 2500 miles a week, and where I drive, FM radio isnt an option, so I love XM. I was interested in the "cd quality" internet usage as well. When I got the Email saying they were dropping the internet from my account and wanting me to subscribe for a set period to keep internet, I checked here. Seeing Dollys comment that they offered a lifetime sub with internet, for the cost of a 3 1/2 yr (approx) sub, with lifetime internet included, I just had to go that route. My only concern was the $75 transfer fee if my radio breaks, but Ill chance it :) Thanks for the info Dolly. There wasnt anything on their web site that I could find, that showed they offered a Lifetime sub.

You are very welcome :sunsmile: I'm always happy to help Sirius XM and believe me they need help. For a company that still needs money I don't know why in the world the lifetime sub information has never made it onto their website :confused: :rolleyes:

#55 OFFLINE   ddobson

ddobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mel has always been brilliant. IMO they're seriously damaging XM and Sirius and I most likely will be dropping my sub next month. I chose XM over Sirius for 2 reasons and now they're both gone. NASCAR was one, yeah I know I can get it but no thanks. Now Bruce Williams is being pulled from 4 hours to 1 by XM.

Mel is great at managing the business side, now he needs to manage the customer side. Everything I wanted in Satellite radio is almost gone unless I want to pay more or upgrade radios. I have a CD changer and can make my own CD's and HD radio is coming along in Chicago.. Between the two I can get the music I want, it was other stuff I wanted out of satellite and its all going away now...

Oh not to mention the combined traffic channels. I HATE THAT!!!!!
DirecTV since 2/95
XM Since 06/04
--------------------
Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com

#56 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

alt nation ch 47 is horrible they play stuff that i never heard before
and on top of that the djs talk wayyyyyyyy too much

i miss 90s rock channel lucy :(
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#57 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

I agree that Mel needs help on the customer side--big time HELP!!!!!! That is why I had hoped that Liberty especially the people with D* could help Mel. Mel had to make unpopular moves to try to save money that wasn't Mel's fault the debt was there before he was. However, it was the way he merged the channels together that was the real problem IMHO. People that aren't Forum members or at least Forum readers had NO idea that the change was even coming!!!!!!!! It would be like me turning on my TV and finding D* had changed its' whole programming WITHOUT a word being said. That would NEVER happen :nono: And it shouldn't have happen with Sirius XM :nono2:

#58 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

When it's all done in 2012, SIRI will have paid out interest of just under 250 Million and still owe $250 Million in principle.

This could be another hint that there is going to be a paradigm shift or the end of the world on Dec 21, 2012, since the Myan Calender ends then. :lol:
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

#59 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

To me Sirius XM is like a boat with a hole in it. Everyone is so busy trying to get the water out of the boat that no one is even trying to fix the hole :rolleyes:

#60 OFFLINE   Ozwalt

Ozwalt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

The challenge for SiriusXM, Directv, etc. is that satellite services become a luxury item during a recession. If you can't keep the house heated, the first thing to go will be anything other than basic cable. If I cancel my SiriusXM subscription, I can put another 5 gallons of gas in the car each month (maybe).

#61 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Liberty doesn't plan to merge Sirius, DirecTV

#62 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Liberty doesn't plan to merge Sirius, DirecTV

I don't think they could even if they wanted to. I think that would involve another Dept. of Justice/FCC decision which I don't think anyone would want :nono2:

#63 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

No merger, but how about a bundle (you want fries with that? I mean, Sirius with that?)
http://www.mediabiz..../?edit_id=11156

Maybe, according to remarks make Wednesday by Liberty Media CEO Gregg Maffei. On a call with industry analysts discussing his company's quarterly financial results, Maffei reportedly said: "One could talk about or imagine bundles, probably the $80 [per month] DIRECTV product offering free trials of the $11 [monthly] Sirius XM product more likely than the other way around. I certainly think those are things we have talked about."
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#64 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

Yes they did mention may be doing that, but I'm an XM lifetime sub now so it wouldn't help me a bit :nono2: Plus my D* bills are already too high to have anything else added :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...