Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$50 installation charger after 722 upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RollTide1017

RollTide1017

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

I upgraded my 612 to a 722 and was fully aware of the $75 upgrade charge. I even paid that over the phone while talking to the CSR. My bill shows up today and on top of the $75 upgrade fee there is a $50 installation charge that none of the CSRs I talked to mentioned and the tech that came out never mentioned it either. Is this normal to have a $50 installation charge on top of the $75 upgrade fee.

I begged and begged for them to just send the box to me but they claimed they couldn't because I was going from a single TV box to a dual TV box (even though I'm using the 722 in single mode).

This is BS IMO, they should have made this charge known to me if it is normal. If I and known about it I would not have done the upgrade.
ViP 722 - Classic 250 - GoldHD - PlatinumHD
Samsung HLT5089S - Denon AVR2808ci
Oppo BDP-80 (Blu-Ray) - Toshiba HD-A2 (HD DVD)
Paradigm Speakers - SVS PB10-NSD sub
Xbox 360 - Wii

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I upgraded my 612 to a 722 and was fully aware of the $75 upgrade charge. I even paid that over the phone while talking to the CSR. My bill shows up today and on top of the $75 upgrade fee there is a $50 installation charge that none of the CSRs I talked to mentioned and the tech that came out never mentioned it either. Is this normal to have a $50 installation charge on top of the $75 upgrade fee.

I begged and begged for them to just send the box to me but they claimed they couldn't because I was going from a single TV box to a dual TV box (even though I'm using the 722 in single mode).

This is BS IMO, they should have made this charge known to me if it is normal. If I and known about it I would not have done the upgrade.

Did the tech do anything beyond what is normally included in a typical installation?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

I begged and begged for them to just send the box to me but they claimed they couldn't because I was going from a single TV box to a dual TV box (even though I'm using the 722 in single mode). ...

Your 722 in Single Mode still uses two satellite inputs. (And likely one OTA digital input.)

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

...they claimed they couldn't because I was going from a single TV box to a dual TV box (even though I'm using the 722 in single mode).

This *is* Dish's policy. They found that most folks who wanted to do their own single-to-dual upgrade ended up calling and creating service calls anyway, so they decided to require installation. For most people, that's a benefit.

And don't blame the installer; the installer has no idea what Dish charges you for anything, nor does he have any control over it. He gets sent a work order, he does the work, he gets paid, and that's pretty much all he knows. It was the CSR who should have made you aware of the installation charge.

#5 OFFLINE   RollTide1017

RollTide1017

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Did the tech do anything beyond what is normally included in a typical installation?

Actually yea. The tech was already at my house when I got there because we were out eating. When I pulled up I noticed that he was up working on my dish and had actually cut the wires from the dish. I ask what was going on because all I wanted was a DVR upgrade. He said he noticed that my dish was not properly grounded so, he decided to do the job correctly. It was very nice of him and he did a great job but, it was not part of the work order.

So, the $50 installation charge (on top of the $75 upgrade fee) is normal and the CSR just failed to mention it? I called Dish and a CSR told me that they would credit my account $10 for 5 months since I wasn't made aware of the charge before hand plus, he made it sound like they would give me a $25 credit next month for the inconvenience. If all that does indeed happen then I retract my "BS" statement from above and complement Dish on how they resolved my issue.
ViP 722 - Classic 250 - GoldHD - PlatinumHD
Samsung HLT5089S - Denon AVR2808ci
Oppo BDP-80 (Blu-Ray) - Toshiba HD-A2 (HD DVD)
Paradigm Speakers - SVS PB10-NSD sub
Xbox 360 - Wii

#6 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:20 AM

In my case, a $50 credit appeared on my bill the month before I was charged $50. Is that a possibility?

#7 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

He said he noticed that my dish was not properly grounded so, he decided to do the job correctly. It was very nice of him and he did a great job but, it was not part of the work order.

Anytime a tech services a system (upgrade/trouble call) they are supposed to bring it up to 'code'. He realized it was a good way to kill some time until you got home.

spam firewall