Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dish install, anything I should check for before installer leaves?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wdwsteve76

wdwsteve76

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

We're having Dish installed next week, and I just wondered if there was anything in particular that I should check for during the install, or before the installer leaves the site? I have read a lot of things in the forum about poor alignment, and signal strength etc, so I would be very grateful to know of anything I should be looking for. The Dish is to be installed in Orlando, FL, and is a 722 feeding a two TVs. We are considering either a pole mount of wall mount. Many thanks for any advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Your signal strength on all three sats should be high 50s/low 60s at least (with the modified meter, which lowers signal strength readings about 35 points).

Make sure you know/write down the channel numbers your TV2s need to be on to get sat programming, and that you know which input your TV1s need to be on. Make sure that your TV2 remotes are on different remote IDs, or changing channels on one TV2 will also change the other. This is very easy to fix, but should be done by the installer.

#3 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Also, check to make sure you are getting all of the channels that you are supposed to get, including locals & premiums. Don't buy the "Those channels should appear in 15 min" line like I did. I was without locals for a few days after my install because of that and they had to come back to realign my dish to fix it.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#4 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Make sure you get the right DVR and package. We had E install us and we were supposed to get the HD package but they set us up with the Dish 500 and don't let the tech leave untill everything is up and running. By the time I realized we didn't get the Dvr i was calling back and they sent some one out the next day. I was on my way home from work before i can verify and the guy left without me talking to him. Missed him by 5 minutes after my mom said i would be there in a few min-i think he knew it was the wrong order.

#5 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Several things that I end up doing for friends after the tech has left. Reverse the scroll direction of the guide. Increase to max the number of stations visible on the guide. Show them the difference between the way you can set up listings methods like between alphabetical and latest dates recorded. Spend a lot of time showing the benefits of using the custom setting modes and how to name them. Spend a lot of time showing how to add and delete channels from the different custom settings. Set their resolution to 1080 and leave it there. Show them the skip ahead 30 second button and show them it's advantages (for skipping commercials). Explain the screen for skip/resume recording and timer etc.

#6 OFFLINE   hdaddikt

hdaddikt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

Installations really vary. I am fortunate to be in an area that uses a very reputable contractor who also does residential/commercial communication, HT, and Dish installations on a large scale.
I just had my dual dish config. changed out to a 1000.2 antenna as part of recent local HD channel change and one tech showed up. He put up the new dish and did an impressively clean job, and then while the new programming was downloading removed the old 500's.
When he came in he checked out everything on screen, called his dispatcher..who asked to speak to me to see if I was satisfied with everything. They finish each job with a written 30 free come-back for any problems. First class operation!

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

They finish each job with a written 30 free come-back for any problems. First class operation!

Want to know why they gave you that? If you call Dish and the tech has to come back out for free, the tech gets a chargeback from Dish...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

spam firewall