Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting to 6.4a

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

I have a DTivo (Samsung 4080R) and the drive finally gave out so yesterday I replaced it with a replacement drive from Weaknees. Actually I've had this drive for about a year thinking at the time the DTivo drive was going out but it turned out not to be so.

Anyway I installed it and I'm at 6.2xxx so I tested the phone connection and forced several calls to the servor and did notice it did download some data. My guide has also fully populated.

This morning I noticed there was "Service Data Download" at 2:30am but not sure what that was about.

So will I eventually get the 6.4a update and if so can I do anything to speed it up, or will I be stuck at 6.2xxx? I really miss the deleted items folder so evidently I did have 6.4a on my old drive.

Edited by mccoady, 17 February 2009 - 11:38 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

After you force the "daily call", if the Status changes to "Pending", then rebooting the DVR will install the new software. It can take a few days, though.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Thanks sounds like you are saying I will eventually get the update, I'll keep forcing a daily call and see what happens.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Since the TiVo updates are no longer in the sat stream, your receiver has to download them over the phone in "slices". It could take 1-2 weeks to download all the slices. The phone call after the receiver has determined it has all the necessary slices will initiate a reboot/update which will usually take a couple of hours, after which you'll be on 6.4a.

#5 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

With the stream, I have not tested lately, but 6.4a has been loaded on receivers within the last 1 1/2 months.

Many have found success by waiting around 7 days after re-imaging and using this dial in number: 1-412-471-1103.

Good luck.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#6 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Okay I'll give it a week or two while forcing daily calls with my local number and if nothing shows up I might try the other number, I'm just happy to know I should be able to upgrade to 6.4a.

#7 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Okay it's been about 2 1/2 weeks now with my forcing daily connections and still no update, I even tried the Pitt # for a few days but it didn't make a difference.

I had read here that if the WeaKnee's replacement drive was considered a hacked drive it would never update so I emailed them with my questions and got a response:

Hi,
> I emailed awhile back stating that I had bought a
> replacement drive (over two years ago) for my Samsung
> 4080R Direct Tivo that I'm just now installing that has 6.2 software on it.
> I asked you if I would be able to upgrade to 6.4a but you said I would have to
> ask Direct TV but if I wanted to send it in you could do it for
> $30.
>
> I have been told if your drive has a default DVR
> image it should upgrade on it own but if it has a hacked Tivo image it will
> never update itself because the hack prevents the software update.
>
> So would your image be considered a default or
> hacked image?
>
> Is there any kind Flag in there that basically says I already have the latest download so
> it ignores the call to initiate the download?

"It's default. But generally, with DirecTV units, each OS version is downloaded once per machine. So if you already have received the current version on your drive, you'll need to wait until a new version becomes available to see the 6.2 update."

So what do you think of their response and does it sound now like I'll never get 6.4a, or as suggested in another thread it will take several weeks so I just need to be patient and keep forcing calls? My phone plan has unlimited long distance so would you suggest using the long distance Pitt # or my local toll-free #?

Edited by mccoady, 05 March 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   tomkarl

tomkarl

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'm trying to get a Hughes SD DVR to update also. About two weeks ago, I did a full reset and restore which left it on 6.2.

I'm making sure that it makes daily calls. It is doing "service downloads" every night which I'm assuming are slices of the software update.

Not sure that it helps you or not. Maybe a full reset and restore might start the process off for you?

I had nothing on the machine, so it didn't matter that I erased it.

#9 OFFLINE   andunn27

andunn27

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

I have a Samsung Tivo as well. My software is 6.3e. I have tried downloading to get 6.4a as well and have had no success. The only reason I wanted 6.4a was for the DVR scheduler feature. Oh well, no problems with 6.3e though.

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

Okay it's been about 2 1/2 weeks now with my forcing daily connections and still no update, I even tried the Pitt # for a few days but it didn't make a difference.

I had read here that if the WeaKnee's replacement drive was considered a hacked drive it would never update so I emailed them with my questions and got a response:

Hi,
> I emailed awhile back stating that I had bought a
> replacement drive (over two years ago) for my Samsung
> 4080R Direct Tivo that I'm just now installing that has 6.2 software on it.
> I asked you if I would be able to upgrade to 6.4a but you said I would have to
> ask Direct TV but if I wanted to send it in you could do it for
> $30.
>
> I have been told if your drive has a default DVR
> image it should upgrade on it own but if it has a hacked Tivo image it will
> never update itself because the hack prevents the software update.
>
> So would your image be considered a default or
> hacked image?
>
> Is there any kind Flag in there that basically says I already have the latest download so
> it ignores the call to initiate the download?

"It's default. But generally, with DirecTV units, each OS version is downloaded once per machine. So if you already have received the current version on your drive, you'll need to wait until a new version becomes available to see the 6.2 update."

So what do you think of their response and does it sound now like I'll never get 6.4a, or as suggested in another thread it will take several weeks so I just need to be patient and keep forcing calls? My phone plan has unlimited long distance so would you suggest using the long distance Pitt # or my local toll-free #?

Sounds like if you want 6.4a you may need to send it back to weaknees and pay $30..Try the Pitt number again in about a month if it doesn't update then sending it back to weaknees is your only option.:confused:

P.S. you can also try and do a couple Clear and Delete too.

Edited by Jhon69, 06 March 2009 - 12:20 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

I have a Samsung Tivo as well. My software is 6.3e. I have tried downloading to get 6.4a as well and have had no success. The only reason I wanted 6.4a was for the DVR scheduler feature. Oh well, no problems with 6.3e though.

With the stream, I have not tested lately, but 6.4a has been loaded on receivers within the last 1 1/2 months.

Many have found success by waiting around 7 days after re-imaging and using this dial in number: 1-412-471-1103.

Good luck.

Andunn27:try this number in Pittsburg,PA. it's worked for alot of us to get 6.4a authorized.Good Luck!:)

#12 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I kind of wish I would have know about the clear & delete before I loaded all my Season Passes and recorded alot of programs so will probably wait now unless it never updates and I consider sending the drive back to WeaKnees. I had no idea at the time of installing the new drive that it wouldn't update or I would have sent it back then.

I really miss the deleted folder feature plus when you set a Season Pass with 6.2 it throws you back to the beginning of when you first started scrolling through the guide, I know with 6.4a it merely goes back to where you were.

Anyway I'm just waiting until DTV comes out with their new HD Tivo so maybe I can get by with 6.2 but I won't like it.

#13 OFFLINE   mxyztplk

mxyztplk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Weaknees rep: "It's default. But generally, with DirecTV units, each OS version is downloaded once per machine. So if you already have received the current version on your drive, you'll need to wait until a new version becomes available to see the 6.2 update."

1. I upgraded a DirecTivo R10 using a Weaknees drive. Before the upgrade, the R10 was on software v6.4a. The replacement drive from Weaknees came with v6.2 installed. I was unable to upgrade it to v6.4a for several weeks, forcing calls to a local access number. The first time I forced a call to 1-412-471-1103, it showed "Pending Restart," and a reboot resulted in v6.4a being installed.

2. At about the same time, I purchased a used DirecTivo R10, to use as a backup. That system had v6.3e installed. I was unable to upgrade it to v6.4a for several weeks, forcing calls to a local access number. The first time I forced a call to 1-412-471-1103, it showed "Pending Restart," and a reboot resulted in v6.4a being installed.

Conclusion: Point 1 above tends to negate the quoted claim of the Weaknees rep. (Incidentally, when I called Weaknees last year, the rep I spoke to said that there was nothing that should be preventing an update to v6.4a, i.e., other than possible delays or other problems with the DirecTV update process, a statement that turned out to be correct.)

Conclusion: A major problem with DirecTivo update process is substantial numbers of update servers are failing to give "Pending Restart" and/or otherwise fail in their role to update downversioned systems. Forcing a call to a known good update server has worked immediately for many people on a variety of DirecTivo models, or at least has done so once the update has been downloaded to the DirecTivo (from satellite or otherwise).

The forced updates to v6.4a were done in November, 2008.

Edited by mxyztplk, 07 March 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   mxyztplk

mxyztplk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

P.S. you can also try and do a couple Clear and Delete too.

Clear and Delete seems to be a commonly recommended folk remedy for whatever ails a system. However, in the case of delays or failures to update to the latest software version (on an otherwise properly functioning system), it is unclear why it should solve that problem.

It is very evident that DirecTV has a major problem with its DirecTivo update process, apparently due to malfunctioning update servers. There is no indication that DirecTV is engaged in solving that problem, or perhaps even cares much about it, and/or is even aware of it. This is in the same vein as other DirecTivo problems in the past. Those of us with DirecTivos should simply be aware that DirecTV evidently considers us to be second-class citizens when it comes to support. I doubt that this will change with the promised future DirecTivo HD DVR (i.e., if and when it does eventually emerge).

#15 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Is the nightly "Service Data Download" that I see on my unit probably downloading the slices of the 6.4a update or does this "Service Data Download" appear nightly on everyone's unit and could be anything?

#16 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

"Service Data Downloads" are primarily Guide Data updates. It's not your software slices.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#17 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

So you really never know whether you are actually getting the software slices nightly over an extended period of time, or if you already have them but the update servers are failing to give a "Pending Restart"?

#18 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

yes, if you already have them all, you can't tell. if you don't have them all, then the length of the last call is in the system info. downloading the slices involves longer calls --- i noticed one took 20 minutes.

use the pittsburg number for the slices and the pending restart.

i cannot believe directv won't fix this, or have tivo fix it. seriously question the wisdom of buying the upcoming hd directivo unless they convince me that they have changed their attitude toward stripping out features, delaying features, and fixing problems like the servers not updating receivers.

Edited by volkl, 07 March 2009 - 10:59 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

yes, if you already have them all, you can't tell. if you don't have them all, then the length of the last call is in the system info. downloading the slices involves longer calls --- i noticed one took 20 minutes.

use the pittsburg number for the slices and the pending restart.

i cannot believe directv won't fix this, or have tivo fix it. seriously question the wisdom of buying the upcoming hd directivo unless they convince me that they have changed their attitude toward stripping out features, delaying features, and fixing problems like the servers not updating receivers.

I would take a guess that the new HD DirecTivo with be broadband or phone authorized.;)

#20 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I changed back to the Pitt # but being stuck on 6.2 has now caused another issue, I live in the Central Time zone and my DTivo didn't switch to observe Daylight savings even though it is set to.

I've rebooted and forced several connections any idea how to get my guide to reflect Daylight Savings short of turning off DST and setting my zone to Eastern? I've read this is all because of being stuck on 6.2.

Would it do any good to call DTV with this issue I agree we are being treated as second class citizens? I would try one of their HRxx HD dvrs if they had DLB's, List Guides, and no limit on Season Passes but they deem them not important enough.

Edited by mccoady, 08 March 2009 - 04:46 PM.

spam firewall