Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which DVDs are worth the double-dip to BluRay?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

The Godfather

I actually got that one during the last sale at DeepDiscount.com (where they take an additional 25% off their already discounted prices). It brought the price down to where I figured I'd be looked at as stupid for not buying what the reviewers were raving was the ultimate transfer of a classic set of films. A friend loves the trilogy a lot more than I do, and I know he bought a copy locally (Best Buy I believe) for a little more than I paid for the set I got. I had given him the DVD set a long time ago, which I got lucky and found in a going out of business sale at a K-Mart back during their bankruptcy period.

Unless the reviews completely trashed the Blu-ray version (which didn't happen), I figured there was no way he wouldn't make the jump.

The Blues Brothers

That's one I'm impatiently waiting for myself. I also wanted Animal House, but snagged it on HD DVD before that format died, so again I'm not rushed to replace it.

Blues Brothers is a big-time favorite of mine though, and I really, really, really want to see the Penguin smacking around Jake and Elwood in HD.

Wrath of Khan

Commented on that one in the thread about the Trek movies coming to Blu-ray. I may jump on the 'Genesis' trilogy set and get it that way. I'm more interested in Star Trek IV though (The Voyage Home).
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Once it releases at the end of March, I'll pick up the Matrix on BR. I didn't like the 2nd or 3rd enough to spend $100 on the set so I could get the first on BR.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#43 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Not that this helps, but I did the same thing 8 years ago. A lot of stuff was pretty well divided into her stuff and my stuff. Anything that fell into the middle I just gave to her. Yes, she was the one that asked for the divorce and yes I could have slugged it out over each and every thing in the house and yes, all my friends said I got walked over. However, I was making 3x what she made and I knew this was my chance to replace all the old crap with new stuff (washer/dryer/couch/dishes/TV/stereo ...). Plus, the lack of grief and peace of mind I got by not having to argue with her any longer was well worth the 10K worth of stuff I had to buy again. In fact, I’d go as far to say it was probably the best 10K or so I ever spent. Especially when a year later, her washer bit the dust and had to be replaced and all the electronics she had to have were old/obsolete.

{ continuing the thread detour for just a few more words here... }

I /salute you for taking the high road. A friend of mine was splitting from his wife of many, many years (I couldn't believe they were splitting up, they'd be married for over 25 years, neither seemed to be cheating on the other, and though they both 'teased' each other in cruel ways, they seemed to care for each other.... also had children, though the kids were pretty much grown and no longer dependent upon the parents....) and my friend just couldn't, and wouldn't get over it.

I think what broke them up is that my friend had a nasty health scare where it looked like he'd had a heart attack. It scared both, but her more than him it seemed, and after he got out of the hospital he wasn't changing his life style or listening to the doctors about his diet or anything else. She seemed to grow incredibly frustrated with him, and she wound up demanding a divorce since it seemed he was destined to ruin his life and be out of hers soon anyway.

From the point that she asked for the split he just couldn't get over his hurt and anger and kept trying to find ways to inflict emotional and financial pain upon her. I kept trying to calm him down and tell him to just let it go and move on, and he just couldn't do it. He became so negative that I wound up falling out of touch with him as he kept looking for me and other friends of his to help him find ways to defraud her of any of his retirement money.

What happened with him reminds me of a saying a former boss (that I worked for later) that had been divorced a few times had:

Why are divorces so expensive?

-- because they are worth it.

He also used to crack jokes about walking into a bar, finding a woman there, walking up to her and handing her the keys to your house and car, along with all of your cash and telling her thanks for having been your wife.

{ end side track... }

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

The Godfather
The Blues Brothers
Wrath of Khan

The Godfather Trilogy is out in a Blu-Ray set. All three movies have been remastered in BD with many new things added for the viewer.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Once it releases at the end of March, I'll pick up the Matrix on BR. I didn't like the 2nd or 3rd enough to spend $100 on the set so I could get the first on BR.

That forced bundling would have kept me from getting the Matrix up 'til now myself, but I got lucky and got that one on HD DVD during a pricing error that Circuit City made when it was being released in that format. Thanks to that error I got all three movies in the set for $29, so I figure that I got the second and third films for free.

The first film is a classic for me, the second and third not so much. They were ok, but just not the ground breaking classic that the first one in the series was. Especially (going by memory) the second flick which just sort of left me going 'huh?!'

#46 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

The Godfather Trilogy is out in a Blu-Ray set. All three movies have been remastered in BD with many new things added for the viewer.

I'm guessing that machavez00 is saying he wants only the first flick, and doesn't want to have to buy the trilogy. I know from discussions elsewhere that plenty of people consider that set just as I consider the Matrix set... the first flick was awesome, the others not so much.

I'm not sure when The Godfather will be available individually, but I'm sure sooner or later it'll be available.

#47 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

I picked up the Matrix set at Fry's for $35 in December. Also got The Godfather set for $35, but not sure if I'll keep it or not.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#48 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'm guessing that machavez00 is saying he wants only the first flick, and doesn't want to have to buy the trilogy. I know from discussions elsewhere that plenty of people consider that set just as I consider the Matrix set... the first flick was awesome, the others not so much.

I'm not sure when The Godfather will be available individually, but I'm sure sooner or later it'll be available.

Except that in the Godfather Trilogy, only the last movie was poor. Both the first two were outstanding movies, considered two of the greatest movies ever made.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#49 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Except that in the Godfather Trilogy, only the last movie was poor. Both the first two were outstanding movies, considered two of the greatest movies ever made.

I was at BB the morning The Godfather - The Coppola Restoration went on sale.($69.99) My wife bought the DVD box set for Christmas when it came out, and was I disappointed. What a difference the restored versions are. Right off the bat I noticed a difference. On the DVD version, the "Godfather" logo in the opening scene shakes noticeably, on the BRD version, it's rock solid. The Audio on the DVD set sounds like it was recorded in an echo chamber.

On GF III. I went to see it in the theater when it came out. No one left, but there was silence at the end, and a few claps when Mary (Sophia Coppola) was killed. No one can say if Winona Ryder would have done any better in the roll. I must admit, over the years GF III has grown on me.
On a side note, I missed out on a price match by one day, Fry's was selling it for $49.99

Edited by machavez00, 21 February 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#50 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

I did get Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray for Christmas. I'm looking forward to watching this set.

"Band of Brothers". Great call..

"When we left earth" rocks too.

I've yet to see a shuttle launch. The one time I flew to Florida for a launch, it was scrubbed due to hail damage, in May 1999. :(

IMAX "The dream is alive" (Blu-ray) has one of the best shuttle launches I've ever seen (on TV). Picture crystal clear, sound quality is phenomenal.

#51 OFFLINE   NeonJediKnight

NeonJediKnight

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

I wouldn't doubt that if the Star Wars movies are released on Blu-Ray, they would be the highest selling Blue-Ray disks ever. I often wonder why Lucas is waiting. I've got several of the movies saved on my HD DVR and in HD they look awesome. I can only imagine what they'd look like in Blu-Ray 1080p.

He's waiting for the same reason he waited so long to release Star Wars on DVD: he wants there to be tens or even hundreds of millions of players in use, so that when the Blu-Rays are released, they'll sell millions of copies.

History tells us that most of a given title's sales come within the first 6 months of its release. By waiting, he can earn hundreds of millions of extra dollars and maintain the Star Wars prestige. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but I understand it.

I haven't got a Blu-ray player, but I definitely would buy one just for the sake of Star Wars. I wish they would have the whole lot of all six movies released as a sextology. But if they did I wish they would clean up Revenge of The Sith. I have ROTS on SD-DVD and never liked the purplish pink overtone like in the scene where Anakin talks with Palpatine with the ballet going on. But just the Original Trilogy would work for me. But the Original Trilogy not the Special Edition versions. I know that all of the loyal fans were irked by the pink blade of Vader's lightsaber in those, due to bad color timing. And with Blu-ray they change the aspect ratio in them and not have them in letterbox like the SD Widescreen versions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...