Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Primestar

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Anyone here remember Primestar? I was with Primestar when DirecTV took 'em over. Still got their dish. It's between four and five feet wide.

Who else here started off with DirecTV as a Primestar subscriber?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

Here's a dash of nostalgia -- check out http://www.primestar.com.
They still maintain the domain name.
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

Never was with primestar but I recognize a primestar dish from a mile away when I'm on roofs. Dishes are good for FTA.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   frogg

frogg

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Yep, I also go back to Primestar days. The big dish was mounted on a steel pole anchored in concrete and the pole was a bear to dig up. Finally just took a grinder and cut it off a few inches below ground level and left the rest.

#5 OFFLINE   NVTanner

NVTanner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

Drew, I'd love to have that dish form some FTA experiments. PM me if your interested in parting ways with that Primestar.

Thanks

John in LV, NV

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

I still have a pile of Primestar eq. They filled landfills with plastic when DTV replaced the big dish with a smaller one and a different satellite arrangement. I make bird baths and feeders out of them.

Primestar had an interesting point of view. They considered themselves to be an extension of cable companies (Primestar Partners). To keep the customer in service they had employees on call to fix stuff. These employees also participated in quality control for the installations. The promise was a response to a service call within 24 hours..........not 24 days.

They ran out of money & sold.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

I still have a pile of Primestar eq. They filled landfills with plastic when DTV replaced the big dish with a smaller one and a different satellite arrangement.

Joe

Not sure why they didn't just make some sort of adapter. With the bigger reflector signal is even marginally better.
I do quite often see new dishes mounted on the old primestar roof tripods.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#8 OFFLINE   db1113

db1113

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

Anyone here remember Primestar? I was with Primestar when DirecTV took 'em over. Still got their dish. It's between four and five feet wide.

Who else here started off with DirecTV as a Primestar subscriber?

I remember it well, was the summer of '97 used to always watch everything on west coast channels since we got them both as a subsciber.

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Not sure why they didn't just make some sort of adapter. With the bigger reflector signal is even marginally better.
I do quite often see new dishes mounted on the old primestar roof tripods.

I did see a web site where a guy with duct tape and wood got a DTV dual LNB to work with an early Pstar dish. All the Pstar stuff was bigger, better & stronger that the DTV stuff. Engineering for just enough to work has it's place. DTV provided a pipe adapter to put the little dish on the huge mast. I have mounted the 18" dish on the K band 3+meter dishes...works fine and the cx doesn't have to get rid of the 1 ton+ concrete base.

I seem to remember that the line to the Pstar birds was more east because part of the conversion was to rotate the new DTV dish to the SW. I guess they figured they could make a smaller & cheaper dish easier than retrofitting the big dish.

As a generalization, the power from the satellites increased as the capabilities of receivers improved so the big dishes were not needed. The trend seems to be reversing.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Yep, I also go back to Primestar days. The big dish was mounted on a steel pole anchored in concrete and the pole was a bear to dig up. Finally just took a grinder and cut it off a few inches below ground level and left the rest.

My DirecTV dish is mounted on the pole my Primestar dish was mounted on. I still have the dish also.
There is a neighbor up the road that just took his Primestar dish and pole down in the past few months!
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

I took the dish off and then rock the pole until I was able to pull it out.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I was with Primestar starting in the fall of 06. Made the Switch to D* and haven't looked back.

I still have my Primestar box somehwere in the basement.

The dish was a gonner.

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Best Primestar service call= The installer used the edge of a planted corn field for a clear line of sight for the Pstar sat. The corn grew..the signal got blocked......before anyone looked at the dish the crop was harvested......including the Pstar mast & dish.

It too was a gonner.

Best quote was "...if I'd knowed that thing was I my corn I would have pulled it out the day it went in..."

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Their DMX was the best music service I'd ever heard from a video service (even with so few channels), until D* signed up with the old XM.

I remember it well, was the summer of '97 used to always watch everything on west coast channels since we got them both as a subsciber.

They made Charlie Ergen look like Ebenezer Scrooge with the way they doled out DNS to anyone who signed a piece of paper saying they couldn't get a signal -- even when the city of install was the COL for multiple local broadcast affiliates.

Had east and west coast feeds from '95 to '99 with them (as well as dual feeds for a bunch of cable channels), 'til they started prodding me to switch to DirecTV when I moved in '99. (In fact, they refused to install P* when I moved, insisting on a D* install back when that meant buying my own gear. That was a total non-starter.)

#15 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I was with Primestar starting in the fall of 06. Made the Switch to D* and haven't looked back.

I still have my Primestar box somehwere in the basement.

The dish was a gonner.

Are you sure about the date? PrimeStar didn't exist in 2006.
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#16 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

I remember as a teenager my oldest brother (lived across the street from us) had Primestar. The dish was mounted right next to his massive dog house he built for the dog. People would drive down the street, see it, and thing "damn that dog has a hell of a tv setup" :lol::lol::lol:

I also remember getting our first DTV dish.... the 18' round dish... we had to buy everything at radio shack and it came with the self install kit... i swear that we had locals then too .... did D* ever have locals on 101??

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#17 OFFLINE   seltech

seltech

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

still have the dish in my backyard :)

what bird is it pointing at?
H21-200 HDMI @ 1080
AU-9 slimline 3 LNB
Sony Bravia S 46"

#18 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

I was with Primestar prior to the Directv takeover. Pre HD, Primestar had the best PQ of any satellite provider I've ever seen, IMO. I was sorry to see them fold.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#19 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

My buddy and his dad were with Primestar back in the day. They loved it.

The mirroring fee didn't exist with Primestar (although it did with D*), and they loved that. Not that I can blame them.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#20 OFFLINE   PhatHD

PhatHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I was the first Primestar customer in my area years ago. The local Cable TV Co. was offering it to rural areas and the boss man was a good friend, so he asked me to be their test installation site. Was just a few channels at the start and then it grew slowly. Had a receiver upgrade once which really improved the picture. Ended up getting many of my neighbors to enroll. Then I went to DTV, at that time you could buy the DTV kit from Walmart and I installed it myself, called DTV and they lit it up. I sill have a Primestar dish, 3 single round DTV dishes, and even a Dish Network large oval dish (was on a house I bought) in my shed. Just can't seem to throw any of them away.
Before Primestar I had a monster 13 ft. solid square shaped dish from Winegard which at that time you could receive tons of channels and feeds for free from various sats, was a royal blast. Watched many closed circuit (PPV) boxing matches back then, had a packed living room every Friday and Saturday nights.

spam firewall