Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Primestar

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   nickg2

nickg2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

My DirecTV dish is mounted on the pole my Primestar dish was mounted on.

ditto here.

and i still have my east/west DNS channels as well when i got switched to DirecTV. but i did like having those channels from the different cities though with Primestar.

and no doubt that the picture quality was by far the best between Primestar, DirecTV and Dish.

actually i wish i still had it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   angelzofmadness

angelzofmadness

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

I remember getting prime star back in 96-97 and loving how (back then) all the fox sports nets played the NBA games live (not blacked out) and then replayed them the next day, I was loving that back then!

#43 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

I also remember getting our first DTV dish.... the 18' round dish... we had to buy everything at radio shack and it came with the self install kit... i swear that we had locals then too .... did D* ever have locals on 101??

The majority of SD locals are and have always been on 101.

#44 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

When I grew up in rural Mississippi in the '90s, these things were everywhere! Several of my relatives had one. D* was first sold in MS, but cost $800, so most people got Primestar instead. To compete with D* and E*, they inflated their channel count by running some channels only 6 hours a day!

There's still a few old Primestar dishes here and there.

#45 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

ditto here.

and i still have my east/west DNS channels as well when i got switched to DirecTV. but i did like having those channels from the different cities though with Primestar.

and no doubt that the picture quality was by far the best between Primestar, DirecTV and Dish.

actually i wish i still had it.

+2 Had Primestar right up until the last possible day,then went to DirecTV only to drop them in 2007.

#46 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

I think it is 110. At one point E* was just 119, D* just 101.

i beleive P* was at 85 not 110

#47 OFFLINE   stiffi

stiffi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

I worked for Primestar Master Control for a couple of years in the 90's. I controlled all of your signals!

Still the best company I've worked for, 12 years later. I'm sorry they had to go.

It took me a while to buy into Directv because as an employee of Primestar I considered them a bitter rival. Staying with satellite seemed better than going back to cable, however.

#48 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

I worked for Primestar Master Control for a couple of years in the 90's. I controlled all of your signals!

Still the best company I've worked for, 12 years later. I'm sorry they had to go.

It took me a while to buy into Directv because as an employee of Primestar I considered them a bitter rival. Staying with satellite seemed better than going back to cable, however.

Good...

Well then, if you can recall, can you clear up the uncertainty here as to what was the particular satellite and longitude PrimeStar used at the time?

For the sake of historical accuracy that is... :)

#49 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

My brother has his DirecTv HD dish mounted on his old Primsat pole. He was the first one I knew to get satellite TV. No one thought it would last. Glad we were wrong.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#50 OFFLINE   stiffi

stiffi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

I can't remember the original orbital slot for the Primestar bird. I don't think it was 110, though. I know we bought 119 just before being bought by Directv. I think that bird's name was Galaxy 9.

#51 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I can't remember the original orbital slot for the Primestar bird. I don't think it was 110, though. I know we bought 119 just before being bought by Directv. I think that bird's name was Galaxy 9.

According to Wiki, it was 110:

The system initially launched using medium-powered FSS satellites that were facing obsolescence with the onset of high-powered DBS and its much smaller, eighteen inch satellite dishes. In a move to convert the platform to DBS, PrimeStar bid for the 110-degree satellite location that was eventually awarded to a never-launched direct broadcast satellite service by MCI and News Corporation called ASkyB.

The ASkyB company sold the incomplete Tempo 1 and Tempo 2 DBS satellites to PrimeStar in the process of going out of business.[2] PrimeStar launched Tempo-2 in 1997 but it was not used for many years. PrimeStar stored the other satellite, Tempo-1, until the company and the two satellites were purchased by DirecTV.[3] DirecTV eventually launched the Tempo 1 satellite after years of delays as the DirecTV-5 satellite in 2002.[4]

PrimeStar Partners sold its assets to Hughes Network Systems (Now The DirecTV Group, parent company of DirecTV) in 1999 and all subscribers were converted to the DirecTV platform. The PrimeStar brand and its FSS broadcast platform was shut down. Meanwhile, Tempo 1 and Tempo 2 satellite remained, as yet unused.

The Tempo 1 and Tempo 2 satellites were renamed DirecTV-5 and DirecTV-6, respectively, and moved to several locations to serve DirecTV customers.

The company that was awarded the 110-degree slot, ASkyB, eventually became defunct and the license for the 110-degree satellite location was resold to EchoStar, the parent company of DISH Network.

#52 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:43 PM

I thought the Primestar location was in the 90's, or at least more easterly than 101

When I was converted to D* from Primestar in fall/winter, they used my orginal Primestar post, it worked great until spring when the leaves on my large backyard tree blocked the D* view of 101

D* had to come out and install a new post (~20 feet south and east) to see "around" the tree....

#53 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

Maybe the Question of the longitude of the First Primestar Bird was on Who Wants To Be A Millionare :D

A: 85
B: 95
c: 110
D: 119

My answer: A

No life lines,no phone a friend, no 50-50

Final answer:D
Jimmy

#54 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Before, you said:

Since PrimeStar was sold to D* in 1999, it is not possible to be "with Primestar starting in the fall of 06." That is why I was questioning the date.

Just a Typo in the first one. It was the fall of 96. It's hard not to type a"0" when abbreviating the date from the 90's.

#55 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Good...

Well then, if you can recall, can you clear up the uncertainty here as to what was the particular satellite and longitude PrimeStar used at the time?

For the sake of historical accuracy that is... :)

I have one of their installer manuals.......gotta find it.........may be in there.

Joe

spam firewall