Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Soccer - Programming question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JS29

JS29

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

I have asked a similar question before, but here it is again, just a little different.

I have been trying to decide which addition to make to my package that will allow me the best access to soccer programming (especially the on-going world cup qualifying matches).

The $3.00 price difference not withstanding, which channel has better programming, Fox Soccer or Setanta sports? I am leaning toward Setanta right now.

The additional channels that come with Fox Soccer don't interest me as anything worth watching on those channels is blacked-out anyways. So I am really just looking for how the 2 channels stack-up against one another.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
DirecTV Customer for 10+ years
Sony KDS-50A3000, Sony KDL-37M4000, DirecTV HR22, DirecTV HR21, (2) Sony DVP-NS700H

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   betogat

betogat

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Setanta has the most Premier League games, GOLTV has La Liga Española. ESPN Deportes has UEFA Champions League games, For World Cup qualifying matches either ESPN, GOLTV or the spanish channels like Univision and Telemundo. I watch a lot of soccer and my favorites are GOLTV, ESPN Deportes and FOX Sports. I had Setanta back when ESPN Deportes was not on, since they were the only ones to carry the most UEFA Champions games.

#3 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Sportspack gets you FSC, FSE, and GolTV. Better value there
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#4 OFFLINE   CapeCodder

CapeCodder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

Skip a six pack and take both Setanta and the Sports pack - it's only money! I think Setanta soccer is far superior to FSCs when it comes to studio coverage and analysis, but broadcasts of the actual games are equal quality. You'll need both channels for complete coverage.

#5 OFFLINE   Ferrino

Ferrino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

I am wondering the same thing as a new DirecTV subscriber. If I was to have a single channel, it would definitely be Setanta for the better commentary/analysis (plus I'm British and it reminds me of home!). I asked this another thread yesterday: I wonder if it is possible to subscribe to Setanta and then switch it for the Sports Pack temporarily in order to watch EPL games on FSC, then switch back? If I understand correctly, there is no penalty for switching premium channels, you just have to keep the new one for at least 24 hours. It would be convenient if you could do this online too, without having to speak to a dreaded CSR...

#6 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

You can't just swap out things like that. They start charging you $10 everytime you change if its within 30 days.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#7 OFFLINE   Ferrino

Ferrino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

You can't just swap out things like that. They start charging you $10 everytime you change if its within 30 days.

Really? I thought I read that the $10 fee only applies if you drop a premium, not if you replace it with another in the same transaction.

#8 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Ditto - though the 2ndhand gear the FSC crew inherits from Fox leaves their PQ consistently a tad below Setanta.

And catch James Richardson on Friday nights - again with Rebecca on Monday night often with entertaining guests from the sport.

#9 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Setanta has the most Premier League games,

While generally this is true, when there's a big rugby tourney, Setanta really limits the number of Premiership games for that week.

Sadly, because of a lot inconsistencies week to week and which qualifying group is on which channel (for the world cup), the only way to get complete coverage is to have both the Sports pack (with FSC/Gol TV) and Setanta. Normally, these can be canceled from mid-May to mid-August, so don't forget to factor in that's its only a 9 month subscription when you do you budgeting (if you need to sell yourself or someone else on the idea...).

#10 OFFLINE   demonstimpy

demonstimpy

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Skip a six pack and take both Setanta and the Sports pack - it's only money! I think Setanta soccer is far superior to FSCs when it comes to studio coverage and analysis, but broadcasts of the actual games are equal quality. You'll need both channels for complete coverage.

Gotta agree with this. I have both. I would be miffed to have one channel and find my beloved West Ham playing on the other.

With Sky now owning 5 of 6 packages it will be interesting to see how the channels here are affected next year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...