Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OPINIONS - New AV Reciever

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Okay guys, it's time for me to get my system updated so here's the deal.
I'm looking for a new AV receiver, parameters are, under $1,500.00, full HDMI switching, good up-conversion, and well made.

I am considering these:
Denon AVR2809C1
Marantz SR7002
Onkyo TX-SR806
Sony STR-DA3400ES
Yamaha RX-V1800

Have not seen a Pioneer and I an reluctant to buy a Yamaha locally, the only dealer is BestBuy, nuff said.

So what are you opinions for these selections? Is there something else I should consider.

I will be working into ADS1530's for the mains, a Polk Audio CSi-A6 Center Speaker, and Polk TSi100 rear surrounds.

Suggestions, comments ??

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SatRick

SatRick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Denon:D

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Marantz SR7002-Quality
Onkyo TX-SR806-Power
Sony STR-DA3400ES-Options

I like sony but they tend to have high THD%. I'd go with the Onkyo! Dennon and Yamaha are good too.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Home Theater mag had reviews of the Marantz and Onkyo in the Feb issue. The Onkyo rated higher. Although I like Denon products, the Onkyo gives you more bang for the buck.

On principle, I avoid Sony products because of the underhanded and egotistical way they do things (root kit, memory stick...).

Marantz used to be a stellar product until the late 70s. I'm not sure I would go that way. Their current stuff is just OK.

Yamaha makes great stuff but tends to be a little pricier for what you get, kinda like Denon. I really like the Denon remote.

I've seen the Onkyo online for less than $650 which makes it a real sweet deal. In fact, I may just get one.

Are you stuck in to buying at Best Buy? No online purchases? You can save a pile of dough... Just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

#5 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Are you stuck in to buying at Best Buy? No online purchases? You can save a pile of dough... Just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

Absolutely not. If my only option is BestBuy, then I will go elsewhere. I understand the gray market issues and will only purchase from a factory authorized dealer.

I prefer to purchase locally, but if there is a significant price difference, I will opt for an online purchase.

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

Marantz all the way. Great warm sound and excellent quality/features. They are the pick for high end audio installers, nuff said.

If you want a great deal on one, there is one place authorized to sell factory refurbs, www.accessories4less.com.

I got one from there and it looks brand new with everything that a new one would come with. Only thing different was that it came in a plain brown packing box instead of one with pictures on it. They really stand behind their stuff as well (most still come with a 1yr warranty). (I got a $800 receiver for $350!)

I know some are reluctant to use refurbs, but I must say these ones are absolutely perfect. They even come with their own test sheet showing the QC inspection done on them.

Here for example is the SR7002:
http://www.accessori...surround/1.html
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#7 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

I went through a similar choice in December and was very close to buying the Onkyo but after seeing the negative reviews of it's upconversion I balked. I ended up buying the Sony STR-DA4300ES on a special buy at Cruthfield for $700, it was just too good of a deal to pass up! So far, so good. It's not the most powerful amp I've ever owned but it does do a good job with converting 5.1 to 7.1 and I've had no issues with setup, etc.

BTW - I highly recommend Cruthfield, I've been buying from them for years, they aren't always the cheapest but their service and return policy is superb!

#8 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,015 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

FWIW my experiences with lesser models of the Denon and Onkyo:

(AVR988 - big box version of the 2308) Be prepared for a high learning curve if you don't already know Denon setup and operation. Seems like good quality stuff, I got it for a great price when they were closing them out for the next model. Sounds good to me but I'm no audiophile. Remote that came with this model is abysmal, but better models have better remotes.

(TX-SR606) Lot for the money, has the usual Onkyo "Brrpp" sound when switching HDMI inputs. Quality seems a level below the Denon.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Okay guys, it's time for me to get my system updated so here's the deal.
I'm looking for a new AV receiver, parameters are, under $1,500.00, full HDMI switching, good up-conversion, and well made.

I am considering these:
Denon AVR2809C1
Marantz SR7002
Onkyo TX-SR806
Sony STR-DA3400ES
Yamaha RX-V1800

Have not seen a Pioneer and I an reluctant to buy a Yamaha locally, the only dealer is BestBuy, nuff said.

Suggestions, comments ??

Kevin

After looking at the spec's for the various receivers, I'm inclined to say the Yamaha 1800, despite your reservations about BB.
I own both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers, and I definitely prefer the Yamah. I'v looking to upgrade the receiver in my family room, replacing my Yamaha RX-V657 with a receiver that supports HDMI switching and Dolby TrueHD. At the moment, I'm planning on waiting for the new Yamaha receivers, scheduled to arrive in Spring. Here are links to the .pdf descriptions of two that I might be interested in:

http://www.fullcompa...maha RXV665.pdf

http://www.fullcompa...maha RXV765.pdf

The RX-V1800 will probably be current until fall. You might want to check the Audio section over in AVSforum.com for opinions of the receivers you've expressed an interest in.
Here you'll find a list of authorized Yamaha online dealers: http://www.yamaha.co...catorYEC&lpos=A

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#10 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

If you want a great deal on one, there is one place authorized to sell factory refurbs, www.accessories4less.com.

Thanks Grentz... I check this site and I must say, I am impressed. I've purchased re-furbished computers from Dell and other vendors and have always had great luck with them, so I am not opposed to a re-manufactured device, which is what this site appears to be selling. We all know that most of the returns electronic stores see are ID10t situations.

I'm planning on waiting for the new Yamaha receivers, scheduled to arrive in Spring. Here are links to the .pdf descriptions of two that I might be interested in:

http://www.fullcompa...maha RXV665.pdf

http://www.fullcompa...maha RXV765.pdf

Well, well, well..... I am surprised and impressed that Full Compass is dealing consumer gear. I have bought from them in the past for pro-audio gear.

Thanks Cholly!

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Kevin - Note that Full Compass is not an authorized Yamaha consumer products online retailer. Therefore, I'm inclined to wonder about the products they list for sale. I got the links to the pdf files from a post on AVSforum.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#12 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

I like Onkyo. Best bang for the buck.
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001AMUF7K

#13 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

Kevin - Note that Full Compass is not an authorized Yamaha consumer products online retailer. Therefore, I'm inclined to wonder about the products they list for sale. I got the links to the pdf files from a post on AVSforum.

Good catch!

Thanks

KC

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#14 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Grentz... I check this site and I must say, I am impressed. I've purchased re-furbished computers from Dell and other vendors and have always had great luck with them, so I am not opposed to a re-manufactured device, which is what this site appears to be selling. We all know that most of the returns electronic stores see are ID10t situations.

Exactly, plus those are factory refurbs which means they are completely rechecked. Almost better than new since they have gone through QC twice :P

Only thing is a smaller warranty, but 1yr is still not too shabby on the Marantz.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#15 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

I have a Pioneer Elite model that sounds great. Easy setup. The HDMI switching is wonderful and it decodes all advanced audio formats through HDMI (Dolby TruHD, DTSMA, etc.).

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

I would also vote for a Pio Elite. I bought a 03TXH a few weeks ago for $500 and love it.

If you want more, you can get an SC-07 with the ICE Amps for under $1500 if you know where to look.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#17 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

I have a Pioneer Elite model that sounds great. Easy setup. The HDMI switching is wonderful and it decodes all advanced audio formats through HDMI (Dolby TruHD, DTSMA, etc.).

I have my second Pioneer Elite (VSX94TXH) receiver now and love it. I actually got it last year. The sound is unbelievable.

Chris, what model do you have? I have a feeling it may be the same one.

#18 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Go used from eBay. I bought a $5000 reciever (2004-era) or $900 a couple months ago.

All I care about from a receiver is audio quality.

#19 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

If you are buying new, I recommend you go with the Denon, and I'd go a couple hundred more to get the AVR-3808CI, with the free upgrade. I'm looking at upgrading my AVR-3806 to the AVR-4308CI, likely mid-year (unless they update by then).
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#20 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

I have a Pioneer Elite as well. If I was ever going to get a new receiver it would also be a Pioneer Elite.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

spam firewall