Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OPINIONS - New AV Reciever

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

I have a Pioneer Elite as well. If I was ever going to get a new receiver it would also be a Pioneer Elite.

+1 Pioneer Elite rules!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

I have my second Pioneer Elite (VSX94TXH) receiver now and love it. I actually got it last year. The sound is unbelievable.

Chris, what model do you have? I have a feeling it may be the same one.

I have the 92TXH. I looked at the 94 but decided that I didn't need the extras it offered. I also got the 92 as an open box discount at Best Buy. Couldn't pass up the price.

#23 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

I have the 92TXH. I looked at the 94 but decided that I didn't need the extras it offered. I also got the 92 as an open box discount at Best Buy. Couldn't pass up the price.

They are both great receivers. I started going with the 92 because the only differences is the media share option on the 94 (which I don't need because of the DIRECTV DVR's) and the extra 10 watts per channel. The only reason I got the 94 was because when/where I got it I could get the 94 for just over a $100 more. My Polk speakers need as much power as the can get. I have floor standings in the front and rear.

#24 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

I have the Pioneer VSX-84TXSi. Its a bit dated (in respect to how fast new features are being implemented).

Sound is fantastic on this unit.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#25 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

We've had very good luck with our Denon receivers.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#26 OFFLINE   Xer0dIn

Xer0dIn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Okay guys, it's time for me to get my system updated so here's the deal.
I'm looking for a new AV receiver, parameters are, under $1,500.00, full HDMI switching, good up-conversion, and well made.

I am considering these:
Denon AVR2809C1
Marantz SR7002
Onkyo TX-SR806
Sony STR-DA3400ES
Yamaha RX-V1800

Have not seen a Pioneer and I an reluctant to buy a Yamaha locally, the only dealer is BestBuy, nuff said.

So what are you opinions for these selections? Is there something else I should consider.

I will be working into ADS1530's for the mains, a Polk Audio CSi-A6 Center Speaker, and Polk TSi100 rear surrounds.

Suggestions, comments ??

Kevin

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and it is incredible. It has 7 discrete bang and olufsen ice amps. I have it hooked up to Definitive Technology speakers (5.1 setup…..Front L/R: BP7004, Center C/L/R 2500, Rear BP2X). You can read a review of it here http://ultimateavmag...05_av_receiver/. You can find it for under $1800, but it will be difficult as authorized Pioneer Elite dealers do NOT discount Elite equipment. I was lucky and got it for $1400 from a local authorized reseller because they were having the Pioneer techs there that day to show off all Pioneer equipment.

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and it is incredible. It has 7 discrete bang and olufsen ice amps. I have it hooked up to Definitive Technology speakers (5.1 setup…..Front L/R: BP7004, Center C/L/R 2500, Rear BP2X). You can read a review of it here http://ultimateavmag...05_av_receiver/. You can find it for under $1800, but it will be difficult as authorized Pioneer Elite dealers do NOT discount Elite equipment. I was lucky and got it for $1400 from a local authorized reseller because they were having the Pioneer techs there that day to show off all Pioneer equipment.

Actually, if you follow the threads over at AVS on these units and know where to look, you can get the 05 for under $1000, or you can step up to the 07 for $1500, as I mentioned in post #16

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   Xer0dIn

Xer0dIn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

I've talked with Pioneer the day that they came to Hoopers here in Birmingham, if you can find Elite products discounted from an authorized reseller that is awesome because they will tell you that authorized resellers are not allowed to discount Elite products. If a reseller discounts Elite the retailer must pay the difference. If you get it from a non-authorized reseller they will not honor the warranty either.

#29 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

I've talked with Pioneer the day that they came to Hoopers here in Birmingham, if you can find Elite products discounted from an authorized reseller that is awesome because they will tell you that authorized resellers are not allowed to discount Elite products. If a reseller discounts Elite the retailer must pay the difference. If you get it from a non-authorized reseller they will not honor the warranty either.

This kind of practice always makes me suspicious. It the contract for an Elite dealer written so that you as a retailer give up control of what you can charge your customers, or is it that the margins are so high that the equipment is not really worth the premium? Isn't this practice "price fixing"?

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#30 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Yes, but some retailers will find a way around that. The retailer that I (and others) deal with has a B&M store in Wisonsin. He doesn't discount his products at the store. However, you can call him and he'll give a great deal and ship it to you. He's an authorized dealer and the units are fully warrantied. Sometimes Robert at Value Electronics (one of the largest Pioneer dealers in the country) will do the same thing.

#31 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

This kind of practice always makes me suspicious. It the contract for an Elite dealer written so that you as a retailer give up control of what you can charge your customers, or is it that the margins are so high that the equipment is not really worth the premium? Isn't this practice "price fixing"?

Probably, but it is very common with high end products in particular.

Just a thought I've been mulling over for a while, now: most audio experts agree that the most important expenditure in assembling a home theater system is the loudspeakers. If you don't have good speakers, even the most expensive receiver won't be much help.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#32 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

Agreed, Cholly.

Not to mention that good speakers can last you a lifetime, while receivers will need to be replaced every 3 - 7 years.

#33 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

Just a thought I've been mulling over for a while, now: most audio experts agree that the most important expenditure in assembling a home theater system is the loudspeakers. If you don't have good speakers, even the most expensive receiver won't be much help.

Agreed. My mains are vintage ADS L-1530's replacing a set of Dahlquist DQ10's. I got them back in 1984 and have never looked back. The challenge was finding suitable rear surround and center channel speakers and I eventually settled on the Polk's.

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#34 OFFLINE   Xer0dIn

Xer0dIn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

Agreed. My mains are vintage ADS L-1530's replacing a set of Dahlquist DQ10's. I got them back in 1984 and have never looked back. The challenge was finding suitable rear surround and center channel speakers and I eventually settled on the Polk's.

I agree as well with everyone. I originally had a mirage AVS system. The speakers were only $800 for the 5.1 setup. Sounded great for $800 speakers. I had to get a new receiver because my Sony STR-DA333ES was on the fritz. I was at my local dealer and debating between the Denons and Pioneers. I started at a low price receiver and then ended up with the Elite....And then well..since I bought such a good receiver I figured I might as well upgrade the speakers as well :). I've been very happy with the Definitive technologies + SC-05 setup. The BP7004's are amazing sounding speakers, very well balanced and clean (probably helps with those ICEamps with the clean part :))

#35 OFFLINE   Lowry666

Lowry666

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hello all,
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I did a major receiver upgrade 2 years ago and I did alot of online research and bought the Yamaha RXV2700. I got a deal from the local higher end store (RIP Sound Advice) and was very pleased with it. When they released the RXV3800 a year later, it included the newer audio decoding for Blu Ray, I sold the 2700 to a guy at work and bought the 3800 for less than I paid for the 2700.
I love the Yamaha, always have, but if I had to buy one right now, I would lean towards the Denon or Pioneer. I haven't ever liked Sony's receivers, don't know why. And I would do like the earlier poster recommended and save a little bit more money and get the higher end Denon.
The problem I have with most of the receivers now is not enough HDMI inputs. I have an HD-DVD player, a Blu-Ray player, Directv HD DVR, Xbox360, an AppleTV and a PC that all use HDMI. I have the AppleTV and the PC connected to the tv's HDMI inputs and use the optical out of the tv to the receiver for surround. Not ideal, but it works.
As you can see, you ask 20 people and get 18 different opinions. Find one that SOUNDS good to you and does what you need it to do and go for it.

Good Luck,
Lowry

Edited by Lowry666, 23 February 2009 - 05:25 PM.
Wrong model number, temporarily dumb

#36 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

I believe that any of the mentioned receivers will do more than you need it to do. I imagine it would be very hard to tell the difference between them, soundwise, if you had them in separate rooms and walked from one to another.
That said, think about what features are must-haves. Also, make sure the remote is comfortable and easy to use. I like some of the Denon remotes with the LCD screens because my family does better with them.
After that, buy the cheapest that fits your needs!

#37 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

I am also in the market for a new AV Receiver. Right now I'm leaning toward the Yamaha RX-V1900, but I'm going to monitor this forum for input/reviews on the others mentioned here.

#38 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Even though it's been montioned by a few people already. Can't go wrong with an Onkyo. I've got three of them (two stereo, and one 5.1) The oldest (over 15years) that I bought used lives a hard life out in the shed, but kicks it out every time I ask of it, and has no problem running at 3/4 volume for hours on end for parties/cook outs, or what not. The 5.1 does throw off the heat, but my 722 has been setting on top of it for over a year now, and it's never shut off, or even overheated my receiver (which is why I've been lazy about moving them around). The other stereo isn't being used right at this moment, but works just fine. It was out in the shed, but when I got the other off Ebay for $35 I brought it in to keep it looking nice. Personally myself I'll never buy another brand other than Onkyo, but you choose what you want. It's your money.

#39 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

Even though it's been montioned by a few people already. Can't go wrong with an Onkyo. I've got three of them (two stereo, and one 5.1) The oldest (over 15years) that I bought used lives a hard life out in the shed, but kicks it out every time I ask of it, and has no problem running at 3/4 volume for hours on end for parties/cook outs, or what not. The 5.1 does throw off the heat, but my 722 has been setting on top of it for over a year now, and it's never shut off, or even overheated my receiver (which is why I've been lazy about moving them around). The other stereo isn't being used right at this moment, but works just fine. It was out in the shed, but when I got the other off Ebay for $35 I brought it in to keep it looking nice. Personally myself I'll never buy another brand other than Onkyo, but you choose what you want. It's your money.

I hear ya scoob, I have an 12 year old Onkyo right now. The newer unit are not gettin the reviews that some of the older gear had.

So far in my un-official poll across a couple of different boards the Pioneer Elite Series and the Marantz are tied in votes :)

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#40 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Well I did it, pulled the trigger on the Marantz SR-7001. Got the basic setup done this weekend. I wasn't expecting as much of a difference as I got. I cannot wait to have a little more time to do some more tweaking. Video switching and upconversion with this reciever is nothing short of exceptional.

Grentz, Thanks much for the link to accessories4less. Great place.

Thanks for all of the opinions, You guys were a big help!

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

Protected By... spam firewall...And...