Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New NewDirecTV policy concerning locals that seems awfully bad!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Well it's day 2 that my local NBC channel 24 in Fresno,CA. has been down.Before when a local channel went down DirecTV would give us the national feed until it was fixed.Now after calling DirecTV the CSR replied"Well we only did it twice before".Thanks DirecTV your new policy sucks!.:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

Not sure that it's fair to call this "new policy". You can bet that they're working to fix it.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

I went to the channel yesterday DirecTV had the sign up "go to 383 NBCW for programming".I went there no authorization then DirecTV put up" don't call us your local station is having technical difficulties".So yes I would say new policy.:rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Try to refresh services and see if that helps ..

Resend Authorization
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

DirecTV has historically only enabled DNS when the tranmission problem was DirecTV's. If the problem was with the station or otherwise not within DirecTV's control, they don't. I'm sure that's due to some FCC rule, but I couldn't quote it or anything.

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Try to refresh services and see if that helps ..

Resend Authorization

No didn't work guess that sign that DirecTV has up is true.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

DirecTV has historically only enabled DNS when the tranmission problem was DirecTV's. If the problem was with the station or otherwise not within DirecTV's control, they don't. I'm sure that's due to some FCC rule, but I couldn't quote it or anything.

Or regular programming doesn't rate as important as the Olympics or Super Bowl.;)

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

It depends .. Sometimes DIRECTV opens up the nationals and sometimes not. It seems random to me, but I'm sure there is a rhyme and reason to it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

DirecTV opens the DNS channels for national programming but must close it again when local or syndicated programming is on. I believe this is either due to agreements with the four networks or concerns about syndication exclusivity.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:58 AM

Or regular programming doesn't rate as important as the Olympics or Super Bowl.;)

Those events only happen with the permission of or at the request by the nationals. At most DIRECTV can suggest or negotiate.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

Check on the channel at 11:10PM it was back on so this issue is closed until the next one.I just thought it was DirecTV's policy to provide the national feed when the local went out.Which to me would be the best thing to do.;)

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

I'm sure DIRECTV would love to but I have no idea as to the regulations and/or the agreements they might have to deal with.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

Check on the channel at 11:10PM it was back on so this issue is closed until the next one.I just thought it was DirecTV's policy to provide the national feed when the local went out.Which to me would be the best thing to do.;)

If you think about that for a second I bet there would always be some town with one down meaning that the national feed would be on for everyone all the time and they can not do that. I was kind of under the same impression but after thinking it through there must be something that they go by or like I said it would be on all the time. In my opinion they have been pretty nice to have them on as much as they have.

#14 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

If you get a Canadian dish, you get both an east and a west coast feed of nbc, abc, cbs, fox and pbs, all in hd.

#15 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

This site does not support international signal theft, which is what it sounds like you're proposing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

This site does not support international signal theft, which is what it sounds like you're proposing.

I did not read it that way. There are many folks in the US who pay for Canadian DBS.

But there are other and better forums to discuss the Canadian services.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#17 OFFLINE   lostman72

lostman72

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

Well you can't blame Directv. If you have cabletv,U-Verse or Fios you would not even have the option of east or west. If they channel is down you are down. So when Directv lets you have it sometimes that is a nice thing on there part.

#18 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

If you like, i can show you a copy of my credit card statement showing payment for such services each month.

I am not stealing anything.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

If you like, i can show you a copy of my credit card statement showing payment for such services each month.

I am not stealing anything.

But you are likely breaking the law. US and Canadian laws both prohibit receiving signals across the border, typically arranged by illegally supplying a false address of the receiver.

DBStalk prohibits discussion of falsely receiving satellite signals in that manner.

Regards,
Tom

Go Packers!

#20 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

But you are likely breaking the law. US and Canadian laws both prohibit receiving signals across the border, typically arranged by illegally supplying a false address of the receiver.

DBStalk prohibits discussion of falsely receiving satellite signals in that manner.

Regards,
Tom

And I'm glad dbstalk has this policy. I was previously a member of another site that encouraged this type of behavior, even by moderators.

spam firewall