Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How does D* handle HD locals on an HR20?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

I have an HR20. I used to get my HD locals via antenna. A couple of months ago my HD locals went up on the sat. When that happened my guide changed. I gained an extra substation on all the locals that D* now carries on the sat. This matches reality.

Now when the cutover happened Tuesday night, my local Fox and NBC stations switched over. Fox did not change frequency, but NBC did. However I didn't think I would have a problem since my locals were now coming from the sat, right? Wrong. My NBC channel would no longer tune in, I got the the "searching for signal on off-air antenna" message when I tried to tune to it. I rebooted and reran my antenna setup and now my main channnel, 13-1, works, but 13-2 does not, and it did before the cutover.

If my locals were being delivered via sat, why did I have an issue, and is there a fix to get my 13-2 back?
www.snelsonco.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

You're still getting the subchannels from the antenna. Anything like 13-1, 13-2, etc. is still coming from your antenna. Please report issues with OTA changeovers here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=152685

HD locals that come from satellite would be listed by whole numbers like 13 and would show up in the guide as the call letters in the guide as well.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 19 February 2009 - 12:29 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

You're still getting the subchannels from the antenna. Anything like 13-1, 13-2, etc. is still coming from your antenna. Please report issues with OTA changeovers here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=152685

HD locals that come from satellite would be listed by whole numbers like 13 and would show up in the guide as the call letters in the guide as well.

Okay, let do some clarification on this subject. Prior to the launch of my HD locals my guide had the following listings in my local section of the guide:
5-1
8-1
11-1
11-2
11-3
13-1
17-1
23-1
23-1
34-1
56-1

After the HD locals went on sat, my guide looks like this: (23 is the CW which is not on the sat)
5-1
5-2
8-1
8-2
11-1
11-2
11-3
13-1
13-2
17-1
17-2
23-1
23-1
34-1
56-1

I assumed that because i have my guide set to hide SD channels when there is an HD version that the -1 channels were now the HD from the satellite, and because the -2 channels were new that they were from the satellite also.
I'm hearing now from Stuart that the base channels 5, 8, etc are now my HD channels from the sat, correct? If that is the case, how can I get those to show without showing all of the SD counterparts to my D* HD channels?
www.snelsonco.org

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

Are you using a "Favorites" list to filter channels? Be sure your DirecTV locals are still selected.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

Are you using a "Favorites" list to filter channels? Be sure your DirecTV locals are still selected.

I am. Could they have been unselected automatically? I didn't make any changes myself to effect the changes I now see in my guide. I tried tuning to my base 13 last night and was still in SD.
www.snelsonco.org

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

It sounds like when you got HD locals, they didn't appear in your custom favorites list, but since "Hide SD Duplicates" was also selected, the SD locals disappeared. Change your favorites list to "All Channels" and see if HD locals show up. Again, they would have a name like WXYZ (not DM7 or WXYZDT1) and a channel number without a dash.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

It sounds like when you got HD locals, they didn't appear in your custom favorites list, but since "Hide SD Duplicates" was also selected, the SD locals disappeared. Change your favorites list to "All Channels" and see if HD locals show up. Again, they would have a name like WXYZ (not DM7 or WXYZDT1) and a channel number without a dash.

If I go into my favorites setup should I see 2 entries for my locals without a dash, similar to some of the other channels? I swear I've been in there since we got HD locals and I didn't see that.
www.snelsonco.org

#8 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

If I go into my favorites setup should I see 2 entries for my locals without a dash, similar to some of the other channels? I swear I've been in there since we got HD locals and I didn't see that.

You will only see two entries for each channel if you've got "Hide SD Duplicates" turned off.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...