Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Customer - Preferred Choice v. Choice Package

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kricket

Kricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

hello everyone,

well - i finally decided to leave the stinkfest that is dish network and im seeking greener pastures with directv

at any rate - im interested in getting an international package and i see this makes me eligible for a few super cheap plans - im wondering if theres a catch somewhere

in looking at the preferred choice package for 14.95/month - it looks like i pretty much get all of the channels i want in the 120 that are included

i realize that the choice package has 30 extra channels somewhere - but is that the only difference? at half the price, im really leaning towards the preferred choice package

also - can i add a hd-dvr to that package? i know this means an extra $15.00/month ($10 for hd and $5 for dvr use)- but again, if my reasoning is correct, then for $30/month, i would get 120 channels as well as hd and dvr access - is that correct?

i know that i have to add an international package on top of all of this, but again, this was my plan from the beginning - so either way i go, im adding another $22/month on top of my plan for the international package...
-------------
the blog...

need help with your wireless phone? check out THE source for everything mobile - howardforums.com

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

You'll have to sub to an international channel to get Pref Choice. Myx (Filipino music) is the cheapest at $5.

#3 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

... it looks like i pretty much get all of the channels i want in the 120 that are included

i realize that the choice package has 30 extra channels somewhere - but is that the only difference? at half the price, im really leaning towards the preferred choice package

also - can i add a hd-dvr to that package? i know this means an extra $15.00/month ($10 for hd and $5 for dvr use)- but again, if my reasoning is correct, then for $30/month, i would get 120 channels as well as hd and dvr access - is that correct?

i know that i have to add an international package on top of all of this, but again, this was my plan from the beginning - so either way i go, im adding another $22/month on top of my plan for the international package...

yes, one of the notable channel I missed during NFl season was NFL network which is is Choice but not preferred choice. And I don't get the RSNs which you get with Choice (Infact I have posted another question just today about this)

yes, you can add hd-dvr to the package

#4 OFFLINE   Kricket

Kricket

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

^ oh crap - i didnt realize nfl network wasnt on the list - ill definitely miss that channel - but the rest of the package seems like a pretty darn good deal

i wish i would have realized directv offered polish programming - last time i checked, they didnt so i havent even considered switching until now
-------------
the blog...

need help with your wireless phone? check out THE source for everything mobile - howardforums.com

#5 OFFLINE   jlatham

jlatham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Will they make you put up a second dish if you want to switch to the preferred choice? It would save me some money per month if I downgraded from choice to preferred choice. It would save me 15 bucks a month if this worked.

#6 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

There is another thread talking about this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...referred choice

#7 OFFLINE   Kricket

Kricket

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

thanks for all of the help and info - i called up today and finally set up service - someone's coming out next saturday to set everything up

the deal seems almost too good to be true:
- 1 free hd receiver
- 1 free hd-dvr
- 1 year of free showtime
- and when i look at the account online - it looks like i also got the hbo and starz 3-month deal tacked on as well

ill be paying about $25/month less than im paying with dish - and ill be getting almost twice as many channels!

i cannot WAIT to get rid of dish network once and for all
-------------
the blog...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...