Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

goodbye and thanks

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psternklar

psternklar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

Just wanted to thank this group for great information I received during my 2 years with DTV. I am back to cable as of today. The price increase, poor cs and chronic tuner 2 issues got to me. I agree the HDDVR on DTV is superior to what my cable co gives me (Scientific Atlanta 8300hdc) but I'm hoping I'll have less problems. I keep lurking most likely. Once again thanks ....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Well, we will be looking forward to seeing you when you return for better and more HD Programming that actually works!!! :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

I can certainly understand how you would get annoyed if you had a tuner 2 problem for two years. Thankfully, I've never had those issues, price increases are to be expected (cable has them too) and the 4 or 5 times I've called a CSR over the last 8 years, the experience has been fine.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Good luck. Glad we could help somewhat.

And you're always welcome to drop a line about how things are going.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

Best of luck! We have Mediacomm and I can't wait to get back to D*. I think well end up using Qwest's three-for-one deal. The DVR we have with Mediacomm has just 80 hours and we don't have many HD channels. It's brutal.

#6 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

I've been down your road once before and came back after 6 months of regret. My cable system (Charter) makes E* look good!

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Help is on the way for Tuner 2 issue ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Just wanted to thank this group for great information I received during my 2 years with DTV. I am back to cable as of today. The price increase, poor cs and chronic tuner 2 issues got to me. I agree the HDDVR on DTV is superior to what my cable co gives me (Scientific Atlanta 8300hdc) but I'm hoping I'll have less problems. I keep lurking most likely. Once again thanks ....

P.

I feel your pain!

I'm cutting DTV soon because the income derived from installations at first dropped. Then, with numerous BS explanations, dropped to working for free.

I note that the once pristine feed now has more commercials than programs.

To put the best spin on the deal........DTV wants incompetent leaders to direct the untrained to accomplish more for higher money to the company and less to the tool guy.

The decision to cut expenses did come easier with recent attempts to find installation work.........without dealing with known crooks.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 19 February 2009 - 08:12 PM.
removed stupid statements to the best of my ability

#9 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Well, we will be looking forward to seeing you when you return for better and more HD Programming that actually works!!! :lol:

He is returning ... to cable. He tried DirecTV and decided he wanted to go back to cable.

In November, I left DirecTV after 10 years for cable, and I've never considered returning to DirecTV. Picture quality is better (for SD); DVR has never missed a recording; customer service is better; price is lower; no commitment.

For some people, cable is just a better alternative.

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

He is returning ... to cable. He tried DirecTV and decided he wanted to go back to cable.

In November, I left DirecTV after 10 years for cable, and I've never considered returning to DirecTV. Picture quality is better (for SD); DVR has never missed a recording; customer service is better; price is lower; no commitment.

Glad to hear that you have found success in your provider .. Personally, I would not have that success if I were to make the switch.

Heck, just today a Cable company commercial reminded me of the paltry 15 hours of HD recording space on their DVR ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

If you don't like the DVR they provide than just get a Tivo!

#12 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

From the time this message was posted to now, cable has already had two price increases. :lol:

#13 OFFLINE   Simmerman

Simmerman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

I like DirecTV but there are times when doing installations that some customers are truely better off with cable. This is no disrespect to the OP.

Satellite systems (SWM in particular) can be a touch complex. Some poeple are better off with a simple system where they can use the TVs' remote control with a simple coax to the back of the TV.

I am not one of these people but to each his own.

#14 OFFLINE   denvertrakker

denvertrakker

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have to say, overall, D* has worked out well for me.

Having said that, it's true my options are limited. Although there's cable in the rural area where I live, they don't happen to have a run down the dirt road I live on. That leaves D* and E*. I had E* for several years when we first moved here, and the exasperating problems prompted my move to D*, which is not perfect but a vast improvement over Dish.

In fact, if D* disappeared, I think I'd just have to exist without tv...but that's just me.

Different strokes for different folks.
Big TV/Two smaller TVs/Two DVRs and a box/Big grey dish facing south

#15 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

Help is on the way for Tuner 2 issue ..

I hope so.
When?
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

As soon as possible. They are testing, reviewing, double checking, and hopefully will have a fix soon.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,559 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

I hope so.
When?

They "fixed" it back in the Spring of 2007, so they should be able to fix it again.

#18 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

Not here it aint. Its $79 for 1/3 of the channels with 1 DVR and no HD channels. Thats the biggest rip off I ever heard of. If you want HBO or anything like that its extra. For about $135 you can still have at least 1/2 the channels and 1/5 the HD channels. Sorry but I think I am gonna have to pass. To say Cable here sucks is a huge HUGE understatement!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention their DVR's dont hold more then 80 hours.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

Wow, lower price. :eek:

Can you tell me how much are you saving?

I found that to be the opposite in my area.

With Comcast and I would be paying $45+ just for the three DVRs I have now.

That would be before a programming package.

I won't do Uvers. I don't like their hardware.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#20 OFFLINE   psternklar

psternklar

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:26 AM

I did not want to start a flame war. I truly wanted to say thanks to this group for the information shared. For ME in MY situation cable is the better choice. I'm glad there are choices because I believe competition improves all players. BTW, I have Time Warner and the PQ is similar to DTV, the DVR is not a user friendly, HD channels are similar. I switched for the reasons stated.

spam firewall