Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

goodbye and thanks

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

The bundle is interesting. I spend time in two homes and an RV. I carry my boxes with me and change my primary service address whenever I land at my "home". For this reason and the major hardware investment I have made over the years, I stay with D*. However, both Brighthouse and FIOS allow me to shut down service for $5+ per month and forward my calls to wherever I am. The RV park provides free cable and free WIFI.

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I just read that Comcast alone lost a quarter million subs in the 4th quarter. Something isn't right in cable land.

I would guess that the cable industry would be harder hit by the economic conditions (people being shut off for non-payment) than satellite would be.

#83 OFFLINE   bcampbell

bcampbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

I can see both sides of this issue. I just wasn't happy with the HD quality that cable was giving thus decided to return to satellite television after previously being with DISH. I can say I am very frustrated with these tuner 2 problems I am getting along with the many 771 messages. This is something I never had trouble with when with DISH. I've had the DirecTV techs out once and not sure they knew any more of what they were doing than I could have done myself and it cost me $50. Although my signal strengths are worse now than they were when I called the first time I'm not going to keep paying them $50 every time and don't think paying $5 a month for a protection plan is worth it either. For one thing, when I had a cable issue, they never charged to come out and fix the problem. Not sure what I'll do after this initial contract is up. DTV has alot to improve upon with all these tech issues before I'll continue with them. A little less picture quality is worth it not to have all these issues.

#84 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Sorry, I have been following this thread and just have to chime in. I have had all 3 at one time or another. Cable, E* & D*. Everyone has issues with all. Some get treated better than others. Some Techs are smarter and have been doing installs and repairs in there areas for a while. Location is the biggest key. Many people have problems with CR's and many get good service. 95% of the time we only hear the bad issues. The OP is going back to Cable for his reasons. I think we should all wish him well and hope his return back to us will be a good one.:grin:
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#85 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

Although my signal strengths are worse now than they were when I called the first time I'm not going to keep paying them $50 every time and don't think paying $5 a month for a protection plan is worth it either.

I don't know this for gospel, but I believe that a service call has a 90-day warranty? I know installs have a 90-day warranty period, I believe it's the same with service calls.

If you paid $50 for a service call, and the issue is still not resolved, they should not charge you again for the same problem within 90 days.

I'm sorry for your experience and poor service. But if you're still within your commitment period and your service call has been done in the last 90 days, I would call and get a follow up call to get things fixed.

#86 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

Sorry, I have been following this thread and just have to chime in. I have had all 3 at one time or another. Cable, E* & D*. Everyone has issues with all. Some get treated better than others. Some Techs are smarter and have been doing installs and repairs in there areas for a while. Location is the biggest key. Many people have problems with CR's and many get good service. 95% of the time we only hear the bad issues. The OP is going back to Cable for his reasons. I think we should all wish him well and hope his return back to us will be a good one.:grin:

Well said.

Thank you,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#87 OFFLINE   kimi

kimi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

LOL. I had to laugh at this one. At least when I call DirecTV I get someone in the states. When I call my "local" cable company I get someone in India or China. Nice local touch. ;)

But yes, some people are better off or just fine with cable. If they weren't then DirecTV and Dish would have 100 million customers and cable wouldn't exist. Although cable continues to lose hundreds of thousands of subscribers every quarter. I just read that Comcast alone lost a quarter million subs in the 4th quarter. Something isn't right in cable land.

Makes no difference whether I talk with someone in the US or on the moon, if the local installer never shows for three different appointments and can't/wont get my equipment working, who the fark cares?

I guess you don't mind spending $100 / month for 5 channels?
[Mod note: redacted]

Edited by Tom Robertson, 24 February 2009 - 05:29 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Timeout. :)

Teacher Jeff

#89 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Makes no difference whether I talk with someone in the US or on the moon, if the local installer never shows for three different appointments and can't/wont get my equipment working, who the fark cares?

I guess you don't mind spending $100 / month for 5 channels?
[Mod note: redacted]

I was not defending the bad DirecTV installers or techs. Was simply pointing out that just because cable may seem "local" they are no more local then DirecTV. At least around here. And their techs are pretty bad. Sorry for your troubles, if you have a decent cable option then rock on, I would too in your position.

I guess this is why I do all my own installs and all my own troubleshooting. I don't trust any of these techs from any company to do anything for me. So I learn it. I shouldn't have to and luckily it's a hobby for me, but it is what it is unfortunately.

#90 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

I just read that Comcast alone lost a quarter million subs in the 4th quarter. Something isn't right in cable land.

It's not generic to all cable. Both FiOS and U-Verse had banner 4th quarters - Verizon gained a net 303,000 TV subscribers - their most ever. U-Verse did nearly as well. The 4th quarter appears to be an extension of the 3rd. In the 3rd quarter, there were only 3 major providers that gained subscribers - DirecTV, FiOS and U-Verse. The rest lost subscribers - with Comcast by far the hardest hit. As bad as Comcast's 4th quarter was, though, it was actually better than their 3rd quarter.

spam firewall