Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need some advice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

I have an install setup and they will be trying to hook me up with HD. I had an installer come out 3wks ago and said I wouldn't be able to get HD. I live in an Apt and my line of sight he said was right down the side of the building. I'm hoping a new installer will find a way to make it work.

My question for you guys is...if I still can't get HD is the SD still good? I have comcast and the channels that I receive vs the amount I pay a month for service blows. Can anyone tell me if the SD signal still looks good on a HD TV? I only have one HD TV and 3 SD TV's. My wife and I plan on moving into a house within 7mths so will I have the option to upgrade to HD then? Any adivce you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

I would take a look at this site: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Fill in your address and look for the DirecTV multi-SAT. It will give you an aerial photo with a line of site and should give you a better idea of "if" you can get a signal.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

if I still can't get HD is the SD still good? I have comcast and the channels that I receive vs the amount I pay a month for service blows. Can anyone tell me if the SD signal still looks good on a HD TV?

Absolutely. My parents have SD (albeit a big screen) TV, and the SD from D* looks great. They had Comcrap before I made them switch, and there is no comparison between the two.
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#4 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Cool, I have a 46" Bravia XBR4.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

Cool, I have a 46" Bravia XBR4.

The field of view to the SATs is very close, so if you can get 101, the HD are only two degrees on either side [99 & 103].
"So" if you can't get HD, you may not be able to get SD.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

That confuses me then. The installer said he could get me excellent SD but no HD :confused:. I setup another install and asked for a more experienced installer. I told them that I wasn't confident in the other guys ability.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

That confuses me then. The installer said he could get me excellent SD but no HD :confused:. I setup another install and asked for a more experienced installer. I told them that I wasn't confident in the other guys ability.

The link to dish pointer should give you a better idea of "if" or "how close" they would be.
Maybe you want to PM me with your address and an idea of which side of the building you are, so I can post a picture for you.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

PM sent, thank you for all the assistance!

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

wukilla,

Welcome to DBSTalk!!! :welcome_s

Just a thought that occurred to me.

You mention that the installer said the line of site was right down the side of the building. I agree with the others that it is a realtively small arc from the SD ot HD sats, but is it possible that the dish mount/angle is so close to the building that there is no way for them to mount the large 5 LNB dish and can only squeeze the smaller dish in the area they have available to install it? I can see where that might be a problem.

It's pretty rough to try to get any deals within the first six months after intial install. If you're moving in seven months, there likely won't be any great deals available to you at that time. Also, if you were to replace what you would currently get with HD equipment, you would have to send back what you now have and pay something again to acquire the HD equipment later.

I hate to say this, but if you are sure you're moving in seven months, it may be a better idea to wait until then to get DirecTV.

Hopefully others will have better solutions. I think you've come to the right place to seek answers to your questions, though! :)

#10 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

My question for you guys is...if I still can't get HD is the SD still good? I have comcast and the channels that I receive vs the amount I pay a month for service blows. Can anyone tell me if the SD signal still looks good on a HD TV? I only have one HD TV and 3 SD TV's. My wife and I plan on moving into a house within 7mths so will I have the option to upgrade to HD then? Any adivce you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!

My parents live just down the street from me and have Comcast non-HD cable service, so I have a decent point of reference. At least in the Houston, TX area, the difference between Comcast SD and D* SD is like night and day. The D* SD is far, far superior to what Comcast delivers. In fact, the difference is so significant that it almost appears as if Comcast is intentionally degrading their SD signal in order to generate more buy-up HD business, which, given Comcast's past business practices, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

PM sent, thank you for all the assistance!

"If" I got anywhere close, it looks like 99 would be the one to worry about, so the line is for 99.
99.JPG
103 looks to be easy.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

wukilla,

Welcome to DBSTalk!!! :welcome_s

Just a thought that occurred to me.

You mention that the installer said the line of site was right down the side of the building. I agree with the others that it is a realtively small arc from the SD ot HD sats, but is it possible that the dish mount/angle is so close to the building that there is no way for them to mount the large 5 LNB dish and can only squeeze the smaller dish in the area they have available to install it? I can see where that might be a problem.

It's pretty rough to try to get any deals within the first six months after intial install. If you're moving in seven months, there likely won't be any great deals available to you at that time. Also, if you were to replace what you would currently get with HD equipment, you would have to send back what you now have and pay something again to acquire the HD equipment later.

I hate to say this, but if you are sure you're moving in seven months, it may be a better idea to wait until then to get DirecTV.

Hopefully others will have better solutions. I think you've come to the right place to seek answers to your questions, though! :)

Thanks for the welcome, I remember hearing him say something along the lines of the signals where to low for him and he didn't feel comfortable setting up for HD. What would be the lowest signal level I could get away with? I've been paying comcast to much money for what I have and I'm ready to make the switch.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Line of sight is either "go or no go", so there isn't a low or high "enough".
If that picture is where you are, then it looks like you're set for HD.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   wukilla

wukilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

"If" I got anywhere close, it looks like 99 would be the one to worry about, so the line is for 99.
[ATTACH]17472[/ATTACH]
103 looks to be easy.

Man you're good! That is my building and according to that line I should be good. Hopefully the installer that comes out is able to get me setup. Thanks again for your assistance!

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Man you're good! That is my building and according to that line I should be good. Hopefully the install that comes out is able to get me setup. Thanks again for your assistance!

Google maps works wonders. :D

You should be fine.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...