Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A 2nd DTV Delay? Ridiculous!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Today, on TV I heard a discussion that the analog shutoff may have to be delayed until December 2009 because 'some people' still won't be ready in June. I find this totally ridiculous! What the heck have these people doing all this time? We all knew this was coming in Feb. If some people refused to act appropriately, heck with them!

Edited by n3ntj, 21 February 2009 - 06:13 PM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

Oh my, please say it ain't so. I hope it wasn't anyone with any pull. :eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   Gonesouth

Gonesouth

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

This is what is going to happen for the near future! I would say more but do not want to make this a political discussion!

I am glad I do not have to worry about this.

:nono2:
DirecTV customer since 1997
Left DirecTV January 2010. No local channels in HD. My locals would not waive, and I have a 5 story parking garage blocking my OTA signals!

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?" Vince Lombardi

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Today, on TV I heard a discussion that the analog shutoff may have to be delayed until December 2009 because 'some people' still won't be ready in June. I find this totally ridiculous! What the heck have these people doing all this time? We all knew this was coming in Feb. If some people refused to act appropriately, heck with them!

There is always going to be someone who is not ready and talk about pushing back the date again. However, I do not believe a second delay would ever fly in congress asthe number not prepared decreases daily and far to many supporters (of the first delay) in congress made it quite clear that they would never support a second delay.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

Never say never, but at this point, let's say that another third of the total number of stations signs off in June even if there is a delay... what would be the point?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more delays. In fact they may just decide to scrap digital and return to analog:grin:

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Just stupid. "Everyone" is never going to be ready and that is a fact. Cut off their TV and then the rest will finally switch over.

I am starting to find it sickening that TV is that important, and if it is that important you should figure out how it works a tiny bit and take the warnings that have been going on for months, and even years in some cases, seriously.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

I did a quick scan of Google News, and the only mention of a delay to December, 2009 would be in Australia.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Whats your source? What station did you hear this on?

#10 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

There won't be a second delay. Congress will never aprove it, in fact Congress will not even take the time to talk about a second delay. Where did this so called discussion get it's facts? Maybe another "talk show host" faking a point of view in order to improve his or her ratings. No "talk show host" ever received high ratings or stayed on the air by siding with the majority of the people. You are right, the point is totally ridiculous.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#11 OFFLINE   Yes616

Yes616

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Whats your source? What station did you hear this on?

Someone quoting Swanni Says maybe? :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Didn't the Government sell off at least some of the analog spectrum? The buyers aren't going to wait around forever to make use of their purchase.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

The Braodcasters had been drilling 2/17/09 into our heads for almost 2 years now.
Now the day is 6/12/09,Enough already.The FIRM DATE should be 6/12,no stories no exceptions!:D
If people aren't ready by then OH well too bad so sad.You had plenty of notice. Go get or hook up your box and be done with it.

Not to be too political here But congress should file a bill to add a line on the 2009 tax form for a converter box deduction of $40.00 per box up to 2.
Less money spent on coupons. Just my 2 cents
Jimmy

#14 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

See I told you so.

The small market stations with the courage to hold to the original date have proven that the whole issue has absolutely nothing to do with the less than one percent of Americans who lack the intelect to ever be "ready" despite years of being given simple instuctions.

The "giveback" of these millions of dollars of frequencies in major cities will NEVER occur.

Never.

Now those who, for years, said the February date was "firm" and were wrong, and then said that the O&Os and their minions would "never ask again" and that the June date was "firm" will post that I, and everyone else who understands this issue, are off the mark, again.

And in July, and in December, and in July 2020, analog TV will still be up and running.

#15 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Someone quoting Swanni Says maybe? :lol:

Swanni is only good at predicting the past.....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#16 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

I can end this discussion right now...the bill revising the date to June 12th prohibits further delay.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#17 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

See I told you so.

The small market stations with the courage to hold to the original date have proven that the whole issue has absolutely nothing to do with the less than one percent of Americans who lack the intelect to ever be "ready" despite years of being given simple instuctions.

The "giveback" of these millions of dollars of frequencies in major cities will NEVER occur.

Never.

Now those who, for years, said the February date was "firm" and were wrong, and then said that the O&Os and their minions would "never ask again" and that the June date was "firm" will post that I, and everyone else who understands this issue, are off the mark, again.

And in July, and in December, and in July 2020, analog TV will still be up and running.

The original cutoff date of Feb 17th will happen on June 12, 2009. There will be no second delay for high power stations. Several LP stations will be on the air after that date per the original bill.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:27 AM

Umm, the original bill prohibited delay as well. And in May, when the next delay is pushed through, it will be the last time as well. And then the next one will be the last one.

Eventually the tactic will change. We will be told that the "poor" will never understand and that the whole thing was a bad idea. So "parallel" broadcasting will continue into some unknown date to the future. Then, we will be told that it is a waste to show the same thing on the digital channel as the analog channel and the stations will ask for permission to "save" bandwidth by "competing with cable" and using the digital sidechannels for scrambled programming.

Which was the plan all along.

#19 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

I would have been much mor eafraid of something like that happening SamC if not for the fact that 1/3 of stations went ahead and converted on 2-17. It sure seemed like some in the new administration were awfully surprised by that. If I were a huge conspiracy nut, I would say thet they really were planning on spiking the whole transition and they were twarted by teh fact that so many stations wanted to move now.

Whatever the reasons, the transition pretty much has to go on now since so many stations are in limbo.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#20 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I don't recall what channel I heard the discussion on, but it was one of the news channels (CNN or MSNBC possibly?) on Saturday. The discussion lasted about 2~3 minutes, and then they went to another topic. I heard it in the background (I was in a different room) and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I heard it, I believe I yelled "BS" but in the long regular form.

I also thought the initial law stated the date was 17 Feb 2009 and no delay was possible, but you can change anything with enough legislative votes, as we've seen with the delay to June. Making the delay once set a dangerous precedence..just like giving money out to banks, car companies, etc. I think the only way some people will 'get ready' is if their TV signal is turned off first, and then the people HAVE to act. Trying to get people to act first before something happens, is useless and you'll always have bozos complaining and whining that they are ready or they're being discriminated against.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall