Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A 2nd DTV Delay? Ridiculous!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Anyone remember the original date of 1999? 10 years later and still the same crap. If they arent ready now, they wont be ready in June, or ever for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

#23 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

There will always be the select few that will wait till the last possible minute to do anything about it! Kind of like the day before Christmas and every store is packed to the ceiling with "last minute shoppers". Like you just found out Christmas was tommorrow idiot!!!!!

#24 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

Anyone remember the original date of 1999? 10 years later and still the same crap. If they arent ready now, they wont be ready in June, or ever for that matter.

Original shutdown date of 1999? HDTVs selling for $4000.00 each. You must have the year 1999 mixed up with the year 2009. Or maybe it's another, "gross miscalulation on my part" as Ollie North used to say to congress.:lol:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#25 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:36 AM

Anyone remember the original date of 1999?

Uh, no. But I do remember 2006 as a cut-off year, but I don't believe we were anywhere near ready by that year, but given the fact that it's hard to find a SDTV in stores any more, there was no compelling reason to delay the Feb. 17, 2009 date for the ~ 5% who hadn't prepared for the analog cut-off. A 95% majority and you can't get it done?! Effen ridiculous!

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#26 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

There will always be the select few that will wait till the last possible minute to do anything about it! Kind of like the day before Christmas and every store is packed to the ceiling with "last minute shoppers". Like you just found out Christmas was tommorrow idiot!!!!!

I worked in a phone office for a couple years and I was amazed at the number of people who wouldn't pay their bill each month until their service was shut off. And it was the same people every month, we'd do the disconnect for non-pay and sure enough the same regulars would come into the office to pay their bill and get their service restored. Mind you they got charged a reconnect fee each time too, so they were spending more money every month just because they couldn't or wouldn't pay the bill on time. And sure there's issues with people not having enough money to pay their bills but with these people obviously they had the money because they'd come in to pay the bill everytime on the same day it got turned off. So in my experience the only way to motivate some people to do something is turn off their service and they'll finally get off their couches and do something about it. So the best thing that could happen for those who are still "unready" for DTV is to turn off analog broadcasts.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

I am starting to find it sickening that TV is that important, and if it is that important you should figure out how it works a tiny bit and take the warnings that have been going on for months, and even years in some cases, seriously.

"The bubble headed bleach blond comes on at five..."

#28 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

If we waited for "everyone to be ready" each time something new came along we'd never have progress. There are always people who will be left behind when things change. It is a fact of life. I don't know where this. "we have to wait till everyone is ready" mentality came from but it needs to end now. It is a fact of life. some people are gong to be left behind. If five percent of the population is not ready. Too bad.

#29 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

If we waited for "everyone to be ready" each time something new came along we'd never have progress. There are always people who will be left behind when things change. It is a fact of life. I don't know where this. "we have to wait till everyone is ready" mentality came from but it needs to end now. It is a fact of life. some people are gong to be left behind. If five percent of the population is not ready. Too bad.

Zman - you're preaching to the choir here about that - personally - I'm a bit disappointed that more stations didn't tell the FCC to stick it and shutoff anyway.

In anything else - a 95% readiness would be looked at as great success.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#30 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Zman - you're preaching to the choir here about that - personally - I'm a bit disappointed that more stations didn't tell the FCC to stick it and shutoff anyway.

In anything else - a 95% readiness would be looked at as great success.

I agree 100%.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#31 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

Uh, no. But I do remember 2006 as a cut-off year, but I don't believe we were anywhere near ready by that year, but given the fact that it's hard to find a SDTV in stores any more, there was no compelling reason to delay the Feb. 17, 2009 date for the ~ 5% who hadn't prepared for the analog cut-off. A 95% majority and you can't get it done?! Effen ridiculous!

The original cutoff wasn't a fixed date at all. The original cutoff date was the be done market by market. The cutoff would happen in each TV market area when 85% of the households had a digital TVs. This originally didn't include those who still have an analog TV and connected to cable of satellite. The broadcasters pressured the congress to include cable and satellite users to speed up the cutoff. When that wasn't fast enough for the broadcasters, they pressured the FCC and congress to come up with a fixed date. If the original plan had held up, we wouldn't be talking about the shutoff at this time and the government would not have the expense of those converter boxes to add to all our other current problems.

Edited by samhevener, 25 February 2009 - 04:33 AM.

AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...