Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best Buy Closing Out Anime in Stores

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Best Buy’s New Anime Strategy

Cuts Presence in Many Stores

Published: 02/20/2009 02:59am
Posted Image
Best Buy is about to dramatically change its anime strategy, eliminating most anime from nearly half its stores, according to an industry source. The change will focus Best Buy’s anime efforts on those stores that have historically done best with the category, and nearly eliminate anime in stores that have produced a disproportionate share of anime returns.

Full article here.

List of affected stores that will be selling Anime at 50% off 3/1/2009 to 3/21/2009 here.

© 2009 ICV2, SUBSIDIARY OF GCO, LLC

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

I'm not surprised. The Anime market has tanked in the past few years. There hasn't really been a title that I was able to get excited behind.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

I must admit that while there are fairly large Anime sections in a couple of my local Best Buy stores, I can't say I see large crowds there. Truth be told, though, no large crowds in the movie section at all really with the economy being what it is.

I hope this doesn't deal a blow to Anime sales overall in the US. I don't have a huge interest, but I do like some Anime and I find the larger the selection the more apt I am to look and give something new a try.

I'm looking forward to the possible deals as well, to try some new things.

I also am curious if this clearance will include Anime Blu rays as well. I say that since the Blu ray Anime titles are in a separate part of the store from the DVD Anime... I'd love to pick up some clearance half-price Blu ray Anime!

#4 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

I thinks its a good business move. Anyone who wants Anime and can't get it at their local BB can just buy it online.

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

I never saw the point in going so buck-wild on anime. It's still just a niche market, and for some reason my local B&N is FILLED with shelves of manga that doesn't ever move.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

You know, at first I was thinking this was horrible news. Then I was thinking, this could be good for the local anime/comic vendors. less competition. Maybe now more people will go to Gimmie Anime and support the local economy.
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#7 OFFLINE   clyde sauls

clyde sauls

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

I dont want to sound stupid but what is anime anyway? I guess I am like most people dont know what it is and wont miss it.

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

I dont want to sound stupid but what is anime anyway? I guess I am like most people dont know what it is and wont miss it.

Japanese animation. It was a huge fad a while ago and BBY and other stores stocked shelves full of it. Then they found out the fad was a fad.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

it is not a fad, it's a lifestyle. and if the ever-growing attendance at NDK, Anime Expo, and Project Akon tell us anything, it's going to be around for a while.

#10 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

it is not a fad, it's a lifestyle.

Anime isn't a lifestyle dude, it's entertainment.

If my local BBY was on the list, I'd check out the sale - unfortunately it isn't.

#11 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Say that to all the Cosplayers, Loli-goths, and general otaku. it's as much of a lifestyle as rock, metal, punk, or vegan.

#12 OFFLINE   BurgEnder

BurgEnder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

How long do fads last? I, for one, have been into anime/manga to varying degrees since about 1978. As for BB, I never bought any there anyway. If I don't get it on Amazon I go into my local Fry's which still has a whole aisle dedicated to it, as least last time I looked.

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

If anime was a viable market, people would be buying the stuff, but it's not, and they're not. Most of us have grown up, matured and gone on to more important things in life than (not then) spending our time and money on cartoons.

For those of you stuck in your childhood, surely you can get your fill of anime online where most of it is probably free in the first place.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

Anime, like Star Trek, is for some just entertainment and for others it appears to be a cult obsession.

#15 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

If anime was a viable market, people would be buying the stuff, but it's not, and they're not. Most of us have grown up, matured and gone on to more important things in life than (not then) spending our time and money on cartoons.

For those of you stuck in your childhood, surely you can get your fill of anime online where most of it is probably free in the first place.

I would not characterize the small amount of anime I have seen as being aimed at children, but perhaps you have seen more of it than I...:)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#16 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

Problem is, I am a Anime fan, but the article does not list any of the Anime close-out stores in Las Vegas. :rolleyes:

Guess I have been giving them too much business.

The nutshell is, Anime was Japan's answer to Hollywood back in the old days after WWII. Their economy was so badly destroyed they used animation to make movies instead of live actors.

Anime runs the full gamut of movie ratings and types, from G to XXX. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, it's all there. If you want know more I would suggest renting Princess Mononoke, it's a very good (and serious) fantasy Anime movie.

Also, if you get Starz, they have a special called "Anime: Drawing a Revolution" that will explain it quite well.

Edited by Draconis, 23 February 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

The part that concerns me, and that might be too strong of a phrase, is the exposure or rather lack thereof.

Anime does tend to have a cult following, and as such like other cult followings it can be hard to get introduced to it unless you already know someone in the cult.

As a semi-related example... I don't buy much in the way of Import movies. I didn't even know how to get them for a while... but when HD DVD was striking out, I found people online discussing and ordered a couple that were not available in the US. No way, obviously, to go into a retail store and check them out without leaving the country!

Seeing Anime on the shelves in Best Buy, I am tempted to look. No longer seeing it in Best Buy, I can too easily go back to ignoring it.

So people already into Anime might be unaffected... but new Anime-lovers might have a harder time finding the genre. Also, some smaller Anime publishers here in the US might find the reduced marketplace directly affects their business and we could see some publishers go under.

#18 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

While not a giant fan, this is diappointing.

My biggest issue of getting Anime from most brick and mortar stores is that they charge way, way to much for what you get.

As an example, you can get some box sets of TV series (22ish episodes) for $30-50. At the same time you'll pay $20+ for a single disc that may have 2-4 episodes.

While I understand that the stores play a part in the overall price, the whole industry is pricing themselves into a niche.

Some of my favorite Anime titles include:

PlanetES

Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid

Any of the Bubblegum series

As well as anything in the Robotech or Macross universes.

Underlined titles are clickable. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#19 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

I don't really see this affecting the smaller publishers, since they don't usually find their ways into larger stores as it is. I can see this affecting the Naruto and DBZ fanbase. That might be a good thing, though. Having them go to Anime Plus or Lucky Neko might turn them to the good stuff (Lucky Star, Ranma, Higurashi)

#20 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

I like DBZ but I don't want to buy the seasons till they come out on Blu-ray.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...