Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best Buy Closing Out Anime in Stores

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,931 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

In the past, I have been one of the people who gives a heads up whenever good anime shows up on Adult Swim. I particularly remember January, 2006 when TCM had the Ghibli movies on Mondays.

I do acknowledge that when a anime series gets released, it's often 3-5 episodes per DVD. That's because not only does a dub have to be prepared, but also subtitles, and the economies of mass production. Older titles do get released in series packs, usually after the final disc is released.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

it is not a fad, it's a lifestyle. and if the ever-growing attendance at NDK, Anime Expo, and Project Akon tell us anything, it's going to be around for a while.

It's not a lifestyle, but apologies for offending your Otaku (in the Japanese sense) sensibilities.

The great wash of anime that has showed up in Best Buy and the manga that has shown up in B&N is the fad. It was an attempt to jump on a wave that was never there. The kids were getting into the post-Pokemon crap and all of a sudden they all wanted to cash in.

Then the kids grew up, stopped watching Naruto or Card Captor Sakura or whatever the hell it was they were watching and now these places are in general overloaded with crap that nobody's going to buy. How many boxed Yu Gi Oh sets does one store need? These bastards don't carry Golden Boy, so clearly they don't know what they're missing.

It's the same reason my BBY stopped stocking Girls Gone Wild. There used to be an audience, but not anymore. You'll still get your fix the way you always have, by ordering your DVDs online and downloading fansubbed stuff from wherever that comes from too, and Best Buy will never even care.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#23 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

Say that to all the Cosplayers, Loli-goths, and general otaku. it's as much of a lifestyle as rock, metal, punk, or vegan.

From dictionary.com "When 'lifestyle' became popular a generation ago, a number of critics objected to it as voguish and superficial, perhaps because it appeared to elevate habits of consumption, dress, and recreation to categories in a system of social classification."

I couldn't agree more.

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

I went to a couple of local stores on the clearance list today. There was a lot of selection, but I'm not familiar with the genre enough to know everything that is good. I also was mostly interested in Blu ray.

So I picked up Afro Samurai Resurrection for $15 and Akira for $17.50 on Blu ray. I was hoping to find Samurai 7 on Blu but only found it on DVD so I decided to wait.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...