Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions For This Forum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ainfinito

ainfinito

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hello,
I have a few questions that I was hoping someone here might be able to answer:

I currently have a 622 leased reciever that I want to replace with a 722 that Is not leased. I have an external Hard Drive that I have a lot of programming stored on with the 622. If I attach this to the 722 can I see the programs that I have saved from the 622 or will it reformat the drive and I will lose the programming. Also, will I have to pay another fee to use this drive with the 722?

I also lease a 222 receiver, if I return the 622 will it drop the DHA leased Receiver fee of $7.00 to like $3.50 or do I need to purchase a 222 to eliminate this fee entirely.

I would like to eliminate my analog telephone line and save myself 50 bucks a month. Dose the broadband feature work well? What is the best network adapter to use for this. Is it difficult to set up. I have an wireless network in my home.

I have the DHPP for about 3 years now for 5.99 a month. What exactly am I paying for? Is it really worth the $5.99 a month or should I cancel it? (Can I cancel it?)

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hello,
I have a few questions that I was hoping someone here might be able to answer:

:welcome_s

I currently have a 622 leased reciever that I want to replace with a 722 that Is not leased.

Why? The lease costs $84 a year or $420 for five years. Unless something is wrong with your 622, new models are coming out and all the 722 offers is a larger hard drive which seems superfluous since you have an EHD.

I have an external Hard Drive that I have a lot of programming stored on with the 622. If I attach this to the 722 can I see the programs that I have saved from the 622 or will it reformat the drive and I will lose the programming. Also, will I have to pay another fee to use this drive with the 722?

The 722 will handle the hard drive. A code is assigned to all the VIP DVR's on your account and once you've paid, you've paid.

I also lease a 222 receiver, if I return the 622 will it drop the DHA leased Receiver fee of $7.00 to like $3.50 or do I need to purchase a 222 to eliminate this fee entirely.

With the right package, you should be able to drop that fee, but it depends.

I would like to eliminate my analog telephone line and save myself 50 bucks a month. Dose the broadband feature work well? What is the best network adapter to use for this. Is it difficult to set up. I have an wireless network in my home.

Yes the broadband feature works fine. I've directly wired mine into my wireless router. Others handle it differently and I'm sure will provide info.

I have the DHPP for about 3 years now for 5.99 a month. What exactly am I paying for? Is it really worth the $5.99 a month or should I cancel it? (Can I cancel it?)

Many here say they drop it, if they have a problem start it up, apparently with TSR's even suggesting you sign up to save some cost related to a service call or replacing the box. I've never had it.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

The external archive fee for the ViP 622/722 is a one-time per-account fee... so you can share with multiple receivers on the same account. The caveat of course is that both receivers would need to be active in order to move from one receiver to the other (if you had shows still on the 622 not yet archived). Aside from that, I'm not sure you'd need to activate both at the same time in order to keep the same account key to ensure your hard drive works on the new receiver.

Usually the first receiver is included in the package price... each additional receiver either has a "lease fee" or an "additional receiver fee"... so if you have more than one receiver there is really no benefit to owning vs leasing in terms of your monthly charges.

Two options for internet connection. You can use the ethernet adapter and connect to your router or perhaps a wireless ethernet adapter. The other option is to use the built-in HomePlug feature (plug your receiver directly into a wall outlet) and use another HomePlug adapter at your router so that the receiver uses your power lines to get its internet connection.

Either way, the internet connection will do fine to accomplish the connection instead of a phone line and internet will allow you to download some DishOnline movies and TV shows as well. Also, I believe they have now said the first receiver on the account no longer has to connect to get around the $5 no-connect fee... so if you only had 1 622/722 on your account you might not have to connect it at all

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

There are still a few things, mostly in customer service application I believe that do not work over broadband. The monthly call in does work over broadband. So, you may not care that your can't pay your bill or look at your bill on the receiver. Just something else to consider if you do use those features.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall