Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody receiving DirecTV through QWest?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

We're looking at getting D* through QWest. We just moved to Iowa, and I'm not sure if we'll have the line of sight for D*. I miss it. We have Mediacomm, which has a bunch of issues.
I'd like to get some of your thoughts in terms of quality, costs, etc. Do you have to go through QWest for customer service for D*?
Also, if you had an old D* DVR, did you have to lease new DVRs?
Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

http://www.dishpointer.com

Input your address and drag the arrow to the spot where you want the dish, then check the LOS to 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 and see what you get.

Can't answer the QWest issues.

I take it you've had DirecTV before? You should be able to get a deal as a returning customer, assuming you left on good terms. You can use your old receivers if you want; all new receivers are leased unless you buy them outright from DirecTV, and it really doesn't make sense to do so. Any advanced receiver that's leased will trigger a 24 month commitment.

#3 OFFLINE   viperlmw

viperlmw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Qwest is just used for billing, all other issues, including the bill itself, are handled by DTV. All online DirecTV resources are available for use. The $5 discount doesn't hurt, either. Go ahead, it's ok.

#4 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Qwest is just used for billing, all other issues, including the bill itself, are handled by DTV. All online DirecTV resources are available for use. The $5 discount doesn't hurt, either. Go ahead, it's ok.

I second that all of that .....

I find it nice to eliminate a bill by having my D* charges as part of my Qwest "phone" bill....I've got my internet services through Qwest also.

They've now dropped their own cell phone service, signed a deal with Verizon, so I'm not able to bundle my Verizon cell phone bill too......

#5 OFFLINE   denvertrakker

denvertrakker

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

I find it nice to eliminate a bill by having my D* charges as part of my Qwest "phone" bill....I've got my internet services through Qwest also.

They've now dropped their own cell phone service, signed a deal with Verizon, so I'm not able to bundle my Verizon cell phone bill too......

+1 on Qwest/D* bundled. No problems, and I save five bucks a month. I still call D* for problems (and a good thing, too - since Qwest is clueless even about their OWN stuff).

BTW, I presume you meant "now" instead of "not"...
Big TV/Two smaller TVs/Two DVRs and a box/Big grey dish facing south

#6 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

QWORST! is an awful company to deal with.

If you get anything through them, make sure you know how to cancel the service.

It took me two months of being lied to and given a run around before I finally got my internet connection speed lowered to a less expensive monthly fee. Unfortunately, since internet is not state regulated, my AZ utility comission was powerless to help. Ever time I called, I had to suffer through being told that if I just add only $10-13 worth of additional services, I could lower my internet bill by $5.

To make it worse, one service rep actually added services to my monthly bill after I exclaimed that was the dumbest savings I ever heard of!

At that point, I had to battle with them about not wanting any "expanded features" on my monthly bill. It took many weeks before I finally stumbled upon someone that actually restored my monthly service to what I wanted and changed my internet connection to what I wanted.

When they made me listen to their pitch of bundled savings for Direct TV I pointed out that it wound up being more than I was paying for an already installed Dish system that I own, at first there was silence, and then they asked if I wanted to go ahead with crystal clear TV pictures?!

My rule of thumb is to strive for the the fewest reasons to ever contact QWorst!

Bob, suffering thru US Worst and QWorst since 1989
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#7 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

No problems here. When you go into getting your service through QWest... Get what you want and stick with it. I have and not had to contact CSR so I don't know how they are ... The comment above sounds to me like ANY CSR (personally)
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#8 ONLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

I called and combined bills. It will take a couple of cycles. You can also do it online
https://myaccount.qw...firm?optin=true

QWORST! is an awful company to deal with.

Ever have to deal with Cox? They took over Insight cable in the east valley and it went from the frying pan into the fire. When USWest introduced Choice TV, they had so many switching from Cox to Choice TV that USWest had to install a second ATM for our neighborhood.

#9 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

No problems here. Like said above, any problems just call D*. The only thing you can't do on-line is view your bill, at least I can't, since the billing goes through qwest.
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#10 OFFLINE   denvertrakker

denvertrakker

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

No problems here. Like said above, any problems just call D*. The only thing you can't do on-line is view your bill, at least I can't, since the billing goes through qwest.

I've never had any problem viewing my bill on D*'s website.
Big TV/Two smaller TVs/Two DVRs and a box/Big grey dish facing south

#11 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Qwest for home phone, internet and DirecTV. No issues for several years and I deal directly with Directv for upgrades and changes.

#12 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

I had Qwest phone service once. THE worst, most incompetent customer service nightmare I've ever had to deal with as a consumer. One billing error compounded into multiple errors that took over 6 months of many, many calls every month to try to get it right, and never did get it right. I finally gave up and ended service with them with them owing me at least $100. 3 months later I got a check from them for 30 something dollars. A month later I got a late notice for $120 with threats of sending it to collections, etc. Only time I ever had to deal with a lawyer, but I had a lawyer send a letter to the president of Qwest threatening a lawsuit if they harrassed me anymore.
Judging from this forum, DirecTV customer service is fully capable of that same level of customer service. Bundling them together just multiplies the chance for error and adds another layer of complexity to getting any problems fixed. My personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that I would never even consider doing that. And what's the upside... one less bill to deal with every month? My DirecTV account gets billed directly to my credit card, along with all of my other monthly utility bills, so it's not a hassle at all. Kind of my own way of bundling all my bills into one.

#13 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

+1 on Qwest/D* bundled. No problems, and I save five bucks a month. I still call D* for problems (and a good thing, too - since Qwest is clueless even about their OWN stuff).

BTW, I presume you meant "now" instead of "not"...

Oops.......that's correct.

#14 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

Qwest for home phone, internet and DirecTV. No issues for several years and I deal directly with Directv for upgrades and changes.

I second Phil T's statement. Have had Qwest for everything for the past three years. No problems with them and they have always worked with me whenever the tough times rolled in.

#15 OFFLINE   rboyken

rboyken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

I want to also add to the others statements. I have everything bundled through Qwest and have had no problems either. Any DirecTV issues have been handled by calls to DirecTV. And as far as Qwest goes...I've never had any issues when I've had to call them either...they've been fast and professional as well.

#16 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

It seems any advanced receiver that's NOT LEASED will as well. A friend of mine left DirecTV. His HR20-700 was owned (it was an upgrade from an HR10-250 and it was not leased according to DirecTV and his online account page). When I activated it on my account in place of an owned, for same reason, HR21 because I wanted OTA they hit me with 2 year extension.

Any advanced receiver that's leased will trigger a 24 month commitment.

#17 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

QWEST is the worst nightmare on the planet. Constant false advertising.. Offered free internet upgrade and then charged me $20 more on my bill for it. Have not had one correct bill in over 8 months. Offered bundeling discounts for directv and never received it. Offered me intenet for $29.99 and then charged me $44.99. Do not do business with this company.. They offer nothing but lies and constant problems and should be reported to the better business bureau and attorney general.

#18 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

Jason, I was curious as to whether you did report Qwest to the Better Business Bureau.
As far as boxes, I do have two SD DVRs. I don't have an HD DVR, but I noticed that the HR22 is for sale at $199 at Best Buy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...