Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cost of using an old 622 for locals only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jltv

jltv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

I’ve been to busy to watch much TV, and I’m wondering what I can expect Dish to charge for locals only on my two year old 622.

What I’ve found is on the Dish web site:
Locals for non-qualifying packages are $5.99 per month

and on my current bill:
DVR service fee 11.96
DISH home protection Plan 5.99
(I have the 622 connected to Broadband so I save the $5)

What other fees will Dish want to charge me to keep the 622?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Why do you want the 622 just for locals? You can just use the TV set for locals if it has an HD tuner. If it does not, a converter box will cost you from $0-$50 depending. If you want to record, Dish offers the DTVPal DVR converter box as well for a little more. But, it looks like they are sold out at the moment.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   jltv

jltv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I get the Digital locals just OTA on my TV.
I NEVER watch live TV, but I only watch a few network shows these days.
With NetFlix, and Video Podcasts, I found I watch very little old school TV anymore.

I'd get a DTVPal DVR but look at the forum discussion, it is still buggy.
Before I call I wanted to get an idea before the support reps started spouting BS.

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Did you PURCHASE the 622 on your own? As long as the receiver is leased, you agreed to continuously subscribe to a minimum programming package (DishFAMILY @ $20 or better). With an owned receiver, there is a monthly fee for "below minimum". That $6 "Service Access Fee" is NOT charged if you subscribe to a $10 package, $15 for maybe 20 channels with locals, and I think you can get just locals for $10 and not have to pay the Service Access Fee. But you WOULD have to pay the 622 DVR fee of $5.98 (do you currently have two DVRs?) and a $5 HD Enable fee for having an HD receiver and not subscribe to HD programming.

If you have more than 1 receiver (2 DVR fees) there is another fee for mirroring programming onto the 2nd one.

$10 locals only might / might not still be available. There was an American Essentials package for $15 with locals a year ago, but I think it morphed into a "Welcome Pack". As $5.99 locals and a $6 Access fee, you'd be better of to spend $3 more for the "Welcome" and get a few channels. Whatever the cost, you'd need to add a $5 HD Enable fee and a $5.98 DVR fee.

#5 OFFLINE   jltv

jltv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

I have two 622 that are leased, and are beyond the 18 months min requirement. I want to return one. It looks like $20 for the family pack, $5 HD Enable fee and $5.98 DVR fee. (+ tax)

#6 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Locals can be added to DishFAMILY for another $5, pushing your total up again. $35.98 seems steep for "just locals", but it includes the ~ 20 channels in the Family package. I don't know that a "regular" CSR would be able to setup anything below DishFAMILY, but if they can't, there is a decent chance someone in retentions could. The $15 Essentials/Welcome deal plus $5 + $5.98 would still provide DISH revenue instead of getting nothing if you were to just cancel.

If you really just want locals, and be able to record them, the purchase of a 211 and $40 to enable an external hard drive (no $5.98 monthly DVR fee) should get you to a $10/month for locals plus $5/month HD Enable. I haven't followed the DTVPal DVR threads, but they certainly did a crappy job with the DTVPal itself. I'd hope the DVR version doesn't decide to change the channel of a Timer, like the DTVPal does.

#7 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

I used to have the family package with locals and HD DVR. Cost was around $35 per month. We watch about 90% locals and live on the Oregon Coast where we can't get OTA so this was the cheapest solution. When I lived in Tampa with OTA we just had a TIVO. THat runs about $12 per month (prepay for a year) and is a great service in my opinion if you can get OTA and watch mainly locals. I think your best options are Dish family with locals and DVR for $35 or TIVO with OTA at $13. You do get quite a few good channels with Dish Family package and I think its worth the extra $22 if you have kids or watch the other channels (Animal Planet, Hallmark, etc). Boomerang is pretty cool also.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...