Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I get a new receiver without a contract

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Telcoguru

Telcoguru

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

Since the DTV transition I have a couple of TVs that now need a receiver. I already have a WB68 multiswitch with spare slots. I can run the RG6 cable myself. I just want the new receivers from DirecTv but I do not want another 2 year commitment. Is it possible to get the receivers without a commitment? I want a pay as you go situation. I don't mind the upfront cost or the monthly fee just the commitment. Thanks for your replies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

I doubt it. You can call DirecTV and ask.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#3 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

Check this thread-

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=152434
HR34, H24-100

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:30 AM

Can you? Yes, with some difficulty, you can buy receivers outright from DirecTV at full MSRP prices, and then activate them with no commitment. But you're spending a crazy amount of money to avoid the commitment, and you'll probably keep watching TV. It rarely makes any sense to own vs. lease.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

You may be able to find used SD receivers that were not originally leased (that were actually owned), and in that case buy them and get new access cards. That should avoid committment. Check the RID and access card number with DirecTV before spending money to verify the receiver is eligible to be activated if you purchase it. When you activate it, you probably need to talk to the access card department in order to get it activated without committment.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

Since the DTV transition I have a couple of TVs that now need a receiver. I already have a WB68 multiswitch with spare slots. I can run the RG6 cable myself. I just want the new receivers from DirecTv but I do not want another 2 year commitment. Is it possible to get the receivers without a commitment? I want a pay as you go situation. I don't mind the upfront cost or the monthly fee just the commitment. Thanks for your replies.

If you didnt have receivers on them b4, why do you need them now? if they were just old analog tvs getting locals via antenna, you just need 2 of those digital OTA converter boxes. Gets you no committment.

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

You may be able to find used SD receivers that were not originally leased (that were actually owned), and in that case buy them and get new access cards. That should avoid committment. Check the RID and access card number with DirecTV before spending money to verify the receiver is eligible to be activated if you purchase it. When you activate it, you probably need to talk to the access card department in order to get it activated without committment.

From what I've been told (by CSR's so take it with a grain of salt), when you activate a receiver that was not previously linked to your account it kicks in a commitment.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

From what I've been told (by CSR's so take it with a grain of salt), when you activate a receiver that was not previously linked to your account it kicks in a commitment.

Which is why I suggested talking to the access card department. I think you are correct, the average CSR has no control over that.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Planning to switch to cable or FiOS soon?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...