Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Standard Def Receivers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Are there any DirecTV standard definition receivers that have digital tuners for OTA? I was on the phone with one of the agent that assists people with DTV problems and I told them that not ALL satellite customers may receive local channels digitally.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for placing this post on here. Moderators, please place this post in the appropriate place.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Are there any DirecTV standard definition receivers that have digital tuners for OTA? I was on the phone with one of the agent that assists people with DTV problems and I told them that not ALL satellite customers may receive local channels digitally.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for placing this post on here. Moderators, please place this post in the appropriate place.

I don't think so.

You can use the AM21 with the R22 but other then that I'd say no.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

No, not with any SD receivers. You need to use the OTA tuner in your TV, or get a digital converter box if you don't have a digital tuner.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

If you have a TV antenna or the ability to install one OTA converter box will be the least costly method. Next will be a used HDTV receiver from D* such as a Hughes or Samsung, these will require an access card swap $20 and $5 per month on the account.

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Thank you everybody, for responding. I KNEW I was right. On their web site, they said "Cable and satellite viewers DO NOT need converters". I told them that they were wrong about satellite viewers. I said that not ALL satellite viewers get local channels via Satellite and those without H2X or HR2X receivers will either need a converter box or a TV set capable of receiving digital TV signals. The person I spoke with had to call the supervisor and again, this person also doesn't understand that. I should be the one working for them instead of the people they hired!

#6 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Semantics. The dtv.org site says it best:

If you do not have a digital TV and rely on antenna reception ( not pay TV, cable or satellite service) to receive your local stations, you will need to "Get Ready" to ensure continued reception of your local stations.

Additionally, not all H2X and HR2X receivers have ATSC tuners.

#7 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thank you everybody, for responding. I KNEW I was right. On their web site, they said "Cable and satellite viewers DO NOT need converters". I told them that they were wrong about satellite viewers. I said that not ALL satellite viewers get local channels via Satellite and those without H2X or HR2X receivers will either need a converter box or a TV set capable of receiving digital TV signals. The person I spoke with had to call the supervisor and again, this person also doesn't understand that. I should be the one working for them instead of the people they hired!

I thought all subs received SD locals?

#8 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

You can receive your locals through D* you just have to add same to your present package...

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

It is going that way but there apparently are some small markets that still need OTA service. I saw a list somewhere and most subs do get some local feed in SD......if nothing else they can get the national channels;CBS, NBC & ABC.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

This is not an entirely black and white deal here. You are not entirely right and they are not entirely wrong. Cable and satellite viewers do not need converters, UNLESS they want to receive OTA channels, and they dont already have something with an ATSC tuner in it. In areas where D* doesnt offer their locals, and they are within OTA range, it really should be up to the customer to find a way to receive them. In areas where D* doesnt offer locals, and you cant within reason get them OTA, then you should be eligible for DNS locals thru sat.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

DirecTV only provides SD locals to about 160 of 210 DMAs. Some of the smaller DMAs are really tiny, with less than 5,000 residents, and it wouldn't be anywhere near cost-effective do carry them. But we may see a few of the larger un-served DMAs get locals from 119 and/or D12 when it is launched.

#12 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

DirecTV only provides SD locals to about 160 of 210 DMAs. Some of the smaller DMAs are really tiny, with less than 5,000 residents, and it wouldn't be anywhere near cost-effective do carry them. But we may see a few of the larger un-served DMAs get locals from 119 and/or D12 when it is launched.

My DMA is 157 and we do not have SD locals, much less the HD ones. And this area is a bit larger than 5000.
Binghamton is about 48k and Broome County is at 200k in population. Luckily I get DNS and have OTA for ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

There is a local around here that carries school closings for several counties around Salisbury, MD. The first thing people ask if they can get that channel (ch6 I think). Anyhow, the viewers overlap several DMAs in two ststes and if put together would constitute a big market. When you fly over these DMAs you can't see any lines on the ground........I wonder how they make up the boundaries?

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

There is a local around here that carries school closings for several counties around Salisbury, MD. The first thing people ask if they can get that channel (ch6 I think). Anyhow, the viewers overlap several DMAs in two ststes and if put together would constitute a big market. When you fly over these DMAs you can't see any lines on the ground........I wonder how they make up the boundaries?

Joe

By zip code
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#15 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Also, there are millions of us in DMAs that have DTV locals but only the main channel for each network. DTV doesn't carry subchannels. For example, in my DMA the CW network is on a subchannel. If I want to view it, I have to use an ATSC tuner. Fortunately, I was an early adopter and my HR20 has a tuner. If I add a new HD DVR the odds are extremely high that I'll need an AM21.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#16 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

My DMA is 157 and we do not have SD locals, much less the HD ones. And this area is a bit larger than 5000.
Binghamton is about 48k and Broome County is at 200k in population. Luckily I get DNS and have OTA for ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS.

My DMA 159 doesn't have locals in SD or HD either. Accoring to this list (2009) my DMA has about 133,000 "tv homes".

http://www.nielsen.c...9_DMA_Ranks.pdf

Edited by Brian Hanasky, 24 February 2009 - 12:27 PM.
forgot to put in link

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#17 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

If you can get an HR20 or H20 or HR10-250 then you would have built in OTA tuners.;)

spam firewall