Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha's new receivers

nfl-st

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Yamaha has finally officially announced their new series of RX-V receivers.
http://www.yamaha.co...0&CNTYP=PRODUCT

I'd been waiting to see the official word about these receivers - in particular, the RX-V665, which has 4 HDMI inputs. However, in looking at the spec's, I was disappointed to discover it does not have Speaker B outputs. That rules this receiver out for me. I'd have to go with the RX-V765 in order to get that feature.

Side note, the RX-V665 and its less expensive sibling, the RX-V565 both have Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio decoders.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

I love Yamaha receivers, I have an older HTR-5960 which has component inputs. But I may be in the market for one with HDMI in the next year now that I have an HDTV that actually has HDMI inputs. Thanks for the info.

#3 OFFLINE   Lowry666

Lowry666

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hi,
It's strange, I have the RXV3800 and it doesn't have speaker b outs either. I piggy-backed the second pair on with my mains. I have always loved Yamaha also and I must say, I am extremely satisfied with the 2800. Their lower line models are FINALLY coming into their own with some of the advanced features usually reserved for higher dollar units.

Take care,
Lowry

Edited by Lowry666, 23 February 2009 - 05:26 PM.
wrong model number. temporarily dumb

#4 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

I have the 'old' 663 from last year and love it. It drives my system's speakers well and I like the feature set -- especially that it handles the new BluRay codecs (as all new receivers should now).
My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

After a lot of looking at tradeoffs, I broke down and got an RX-663 a few days ago. Mostly very happy with the unit, but one annoyance. They changed the spacing of the speaker connectors. Previously, you could use dual banana plugs for connecting speakers. Now, you have to either use the connectors as conventional binding posts or use individual banana plugs.
I'm still learning the differences between my old RX-V657 and the RX-V663, but it's up and running.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

After a lot of looking at tradeoffs, I broke down and got an RX-663 a few days ago. Mostly very happy with the unit, but one annoyance. They changed the spacing of the speaker connectors. Previously, you could use dual banana plugs for connecting speakers. Now, you have to either use the connectors as conventional binding posts or use individual banana plugs.
I'm still learning the differences between my old RX-V657 and the RX-V663, but it's up and running.

I upgraded to/from the same receivers you did. I'm very pleased with the new unit. My main reason for upgrading was the lossless audio codecs that the old unit lacked. Hope you enjoy your new unit too.

Edited by lflorack, 29 March 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

My question is whether or not these new 7.1 receivers can work with a 5.1 speaker setup. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to install side speakers in my viewing room.

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

My question is whether or not these new 7.1 receivers can work with a 5.1 speaker setup. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to install side speakers in my viewing room.

Shouldn't be a problem. My receiver is 7.1 yet I only have a 5.1 system. Everything sounds fine to me. However I'm not super picky either with audio so maybe it isn't actually "right" but I would have no idea. At least on mine it had an auto setup where you plugged in a mic and it ran a signal test. So the receiver itself knows you only have 5.1 speakers so it may self calibrate itself because of that.

#9 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Should be fine. Before I had 7.1 speakers, I had 5.1 speakers and they were attached to the RX-V663 -- as well as the RX-V657 before it (also a 7.1 capable receiver) and they both worked fine. The receiver knows what's connected to it and if you run the auto-calibration, it'll properly configure only those speakers that are connected.

Anyway, it'll work fine with 5.1 speakers.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. If the auto-calibration knows that the speakers aren't there, I shouldn't have to concern myself with unterminated outputs on the amp.

#11 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

RX-V863 Here with Bose Series 4 love it....especially love the built in HD-Radio.
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

spam firewall