Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 and homeplug

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

Don't shoot me if this has been asked before: :(
When using homeplug powerline devices, does the 622 work only if plugged directly on a wall outlet? Does the homeplug device?
Anyone tried connecting these through a power strip or surge protector?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

Power strip or surge protector will block most of the homeplug signal. If you want to use that, you'll most likely need it plugged directly into wall.

I have my 622 and 722 both on power strips, and they do get a homeplug connection, but barely, and very slow connection this way.

The homeplug adapter near your router should be directly into the wall also.

What I do is have a 2nd homeplug adapter near my receivers, a network switch, then I connect the receivers to this via ethernet cables, so I can have the receivers on a surge protector. I just don't feel comfortable with them directly into the wall.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

There are power strips specifically made with a Homeplug compat outlet. I had to do some searching on the Internet to find one but they do exist. I plug my receiver into the Homeplug outlet on the strip and use the other outlets for other devices and it works fine.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

What I do is have a 2nd homeplug adapter near my receivers, a network switch, then I connect the receivers to this via ethernet cables, so I can have the receivers on a surge protector. I just don't feel comfortable with them directly into the wall.

I think the newer Home Plug adapters are faster than what's built-in to the receivers. So, it's faster your way.

I used a separate Home Plug adapter also. Near my satellite receiver, I have one with four ethernet ports so I can plug in the DVR as well as my Blu-Ray DVD player that supports Netflix streaming. So far, it's working well.

-- Roger

#5 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

PS, if anyone wants some nicely priced homeplug adapters, Fry's puts the Airlink 101 adapters on sale occasionally for some super low price, like $24.

They are 85mbps adapters, not as fast as some more expensive ones, but for me they work great, and can't beat the price.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

Protected By... spam firewall...And...