Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish forums dead...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Is it just me, or do the Dish forums seem dead lately? No action, no excitement.

I wish we'd get some new HD or something to have something to talk about.

Speed HD would be a good start. :D

I wish the VIP922 was available now.

I wish my receivers could share programs via ethernet.

I'm bored. :P
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PRIME1

PRIME1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

+1

No new HD and just waiting on the 922.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

The answer to your poorly-worded query is an emphatic "No!"

It's been my observation that the forums for the other DBS carrier seem busier and have more sub-topics and post-churn because, relatively speaking, that carrier's hardware and programming seems to have many more issues to deal with. It's my opinion that Dish subs, on average, tend to possess more technical expertise, which may explain why we are with Dish in the first place.

Also, I read forums for both carriers, and I've observed that a lot of subs with the other carrier tend to obsess over the latest downloads and updates from their mothership.

As for me, I'm content with letting Charlie do the heavy lifting, while I relax. After all, I am paying the techies at Dish to figure out all this stuff for me. That way, I get to pay more attention to those things in life that are truly important to me.

Edited by Nick, 23 February 2009 - 01:47 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Is it just me, or do the Dish forums seem dead lately? No action, no excitement.

I wish we'd get some new HD or something to have something to talk about.

Speed HD would be a good start. :D

I wish the VIP922 was available now.

I wish my receivers could share programs via ethernet.

I'm bored. :P

There isn't much to talk about until they add some HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

How many ways can one complain about no new HD before it seems a bit repetitive?

#6 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

It's been my observation that the forums for the other DBS carrier seem busier and have more sub-topics and post-churn because, relatively speaking, that carrier's hardware and programming seems to have many more issues to deal with. It's my opinion that Dish subs, on average, tend to possess more technical expertise, which may explain why we are with Dish in the first place.

Also, I read forums for both carriers, and I've observed that a lot of subs with the other carrier tend to obsess over the latest downloads and updates from their mothership.

As for me, I'm content with letting Charlie do the heavy lifting, while I relax. After all, I am paying the techies at Dish to figure out all this stuff for me. That way, I get to pay more attention to those things in life that are truly important to me.

Maybe a "poorly-worded query" but I agree with the post.

On your "I get to pay more attention to those things in life that are truly important to me" I guess proofing others post is important to some.

I would suggest Prozac.:) Go easy on me.......

Edited by tommiet, 23 February 2009 - 04:31 PM.
no reason

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#7 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I could explain why it seems pretty dead right now, but I may get banned for truly expressing my opinion of how Dish Network is doing things right now. As usual, stringing customers along and lying about when things are available. I don't think I'd know what to do if Dish announced something and ACTUALLY delivered the exact product mentioned without strings attached and within the timeframe expected...unless I'm one of the 200-300K in Podunk, USA that now receive locals in HD.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Definitely has been a bit quiet in the Dish camp as we await the 922 and 722K releases. The activity in the support forums seems to be centered around.

1) Audio related issues in some DMA and use cases.
2) Sling guide Beta
3) CC related issues.

Being quiet is sometimes is a good thing. Hopefully some new HD will appear shortly and perhaps some new software updates will come down that have some tweaks worthy of conversation.

Sharing content would definitely be a nice feature.

Edited by Ron Barry, 23 February 2009 - 04:56 PM.

<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,082 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

Not dead ... sorry if the threads that are active are not of interest to you. :)

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,174 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

There's really not much new to discuss. The most recent "happening" was a rate increase that has already been discussed to death (not to dismiss the repeating TiVo pissing match threads).

There have been no substantial programming changes or feature additions to the hardware.

Sometimes it is best to have some quiet in case someone really has a problem.

Take away the multitude of discussions of DIRECTV incomplete products and the D* side is pretty quiet too (except for the lack of Travel Channel HD and a noted inability to archive recordings).

#11 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Yeah it is kinda quite but, that can be a good thing. We get to spend some time helping the new customers with explaining how 2 room dvr's work and helping people with real problems. You know I bet this place looks a little intemidating to the new people when we are in the middle of a big retrans consent dispute or something like that. Kinda nice just going with the flow for a little while. Although if Charlie is reading we are still waiting on those Sherman/Ada HD locals that were promised last november on the Charlie Chat. I hope you make good on your new promise of March. :)
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#12 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Still waiting to learn when (if ever) Dish Network will carry Comcast SportsNet Northwest.

#13 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Yawn!
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#14 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Lol, you guys crack me up. I intentionally worded it the way I did, using stand-alone sentences, intentionally wanting it to be disjointed the way it was.

Next time I'll run it past your grammar filter, ok?

If this isn't "important to you" then why did you take the time to craft such a condescending post? Hmm.

I should have known just asking a somewhat rhetorical question would bring out the over-zealous fanboys. Hey, I love dish as much as anyone, but I'm getting pretty bored with it, that's all.

How many "Which is better Dish or DTV?" and "Which HD is best?" thread can we have in a week, geez.

I really didn't create this thread thinking in a negative way; I was simply trying to create something to read and chit-chat, but some of these posts now make me think negatively, thanks. :mad:

Edited by James Long, 23 February 2009 - 09:45 PM.
OT information removed

Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#15 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

ZBoomer.. Nothing wrong with getting bored.. Happens from time to time on the things we enjoy. I was recently getting tired of doing UI work and the frustration dealing in the imperfections of web browser development.. Well some changes at work that i have been pulled in and now I am doing helping lead an RIA development using Flex and Java technologies and the light has been lite again.

I am sure when the 922 appears to be closer to release, some new HD gets added, or a new 722 release appears with a new cool feature the flame will start to burn brighter.

:D
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#16 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:42 AM

Well in the last couple of months Dish has put a new bird at 129, they've added a ton of LIL HD, they've added Fox News & FBN that people have been asking for for a while, they've been in court (again) and they've filled in a few local stations here and there by settling carriage agreement. Supposedly new National HD coming in Spring and more LIL HD. I suppose there are a few more major nat HD channels wanted, but they really have added a lot if you think about it. I am still missing a few of my locals, but I am trying to be patient though it is hard.

#17 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

It's been my observation that the forums for the other DBS carrier seem busier and have more sub-topics and post-churn because, relatively speaking, that carrier's hardware and programming seems to have many more issues to deal with.

+1 Nick

Now Nick and I have often disagreed. But I will say that the Dish side of this forum was busting at the seams when the monster 921 was mainstream. A receiver plagued by issues. Yes there were other receivers that... well... sucked.... but the 921 had issues.

Now the 722/622 is a very stable receiver.... and you must realize most forum traffic in a support based forum community is prompted by people that are less than happy and are looking for some advice, help, or just a place to vent.

Since the introduction of the 622, I have seen that dwindling. And on the flip side, I agree it seems the paradigm has shifted and there is more going on at the Direct side. Year long threads about DLB.... etc...

I'm sure someone from that side of the forum will show up soon to put Nick and I in our places.... But this is how I see it and both Nick and I have been here a long time. :rolleyes:

Sorry to show support for you like that Nick, you can kick me later... :grin::lol::D

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

Another thing to consider is that on the DirecTV side, there is a lot of pre-release testing going on which drives traffic. DISH doesn't do that and confines themselves to closed beta testing.

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

I really didn't create this thread thinking in a negative way; I was simply trying to create something to read and chit-chat, but some of these posts now make me think negatively, thanks. :mad:

Don't let it get to you. Nick must have forgot his meds yesterday. :)

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Another thing to consider is that on the DirecTV side, there is a lot of pre-release testing going on which drives traffic. DISH doesn't do that and confines themselves to closed beta testing.

And the first D* guy shows up! Whoo Hoo! :goodjob: :blowout:

Cough cough.... Sorry boss. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...