Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish forums dead...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

And the first D* guy shows up! Whoo Hoo! :goodjob: :blowout:

Cough cough.... Sorry boss. :rolleyes:

Sorry, it's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Why DISH doesn't allow our general membership to openly help them is beyond me. They do read these forums and we help them contact users privately but it would be so much more efficient to allow more open communication. It's not like they have to pay for the bandwidth. All they would need to do is call me and we can make it happen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

I am sure that open communication has caused D* it's share of problems. Like the call center not know what to do or the person calling having info the call center doesn't have yet.

In the past E* was more open. We used to get release note far in advance of releases. But there were people who wrecked it for all when they complained about not getting a feature that was previously said to be in the next release. We all know things change, sometimes a feature doesn't make it in because something went wrong at the last minute. SO instead of being saturated with complaints, Dish decided to control outgoing info such as this.

#23 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

I'd say DirecTV is more active for a few reasons:

1) DBSTalk has become the defacto forum for all DirecTV information including programming and so forth. No offense to DBSTalk but Satguys is sorta the defacto #1 Dish forum so more Dish traffic goes there. Satguys try with DirecTV but still don't get that much traffic in for it.

2) DirecTV has more subs and have been adding hundreds of thousands every quarter so lots of new people with questions. Dish hasn't been growing much so maybe less newbies with questions? Just tossing that one out there.

3) As noted DirecTV has the whole very public CE testing program which drives a lot of traffic to the DirecTV forums which then increases posts overall.

4) Maybe more problems with DirecTV? Hard to say since a quick look at Satguys one sees a whole lot of posts about problems with Dish as well.

Overall I think it's just that DBSTalk is the #1 site by far on the net for DirecTV information. DBSTalk isn't that for Dish at this time thus a lot less traffic overall for the Dish forums.

Or I could be totally offbase. :D

#24 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

The CE program is definitely part of the reason for DirecTV activity here.

As for what happens at other sites.. I personally don't wonder around as much as I use to mainly because I actually do keep my self busy with posting in the support forums about the issues and thoughts around the 722/622. These forums are definitely more focused on issues around identifying and trying to quantify peoples experiences and since this is done on production code basis the net result is less generated traffic.

One thing about the Dish side here is that we tend to stay focused on the products and issues in the field. The Dish side of the fence here is not focused on digging out rumors and leaked info which can help traffic and at times make things a bit more exciting but does have some side effects also. Don't get me wrong, rumors and leaked info are talked about here, but it just is not the focus we have here.

I can't speak about other mods or admins, but my goal when I signed up and it continues today is to try an help Dish improve their products that I use on a daily basis by trying to collect as much constructive detailed information in the field. Hopefully that info is then read and used to root cause problems that hopefully results in quicker fixes for the folks that use them. I am sure that can be sometimes seen as boring but I do think that it does have a purpose and I don't consider it boring at all. ;)

As for opened vs. closed external testing programs. An can definitely see Chris's view do to the traffic the CE program generates here, but if one look from the company making the products point of view there are two methods of doing external testing and both have their pluses and minuses.

Close programs allow tighter control of information and in general provide less noise and better data and defect reporting. Open system provide more info but creates more noise, requires more management, and much harder to control leaked information. Dish decided to go one way and DirecTV decided to go another. In my opinion from a company point of view neither one is wrong

The cool thing about the internet is that there are a ton of places to hang your hat with all sorts of focus. I chose DBSTalk because I find that the site is professional and expects people to treat others with professional curtousy, tries to keep focus on trying to solve problems both in the Dish and DirecTV forums (both camps do make a difference in my opinion), and I think we have a great group of contributors that make this site great.

So sure.. sometimes things get a bit boring and there are a number of sites out there with a different focus on Sat Talk, different cultures, and a different ways of doing things. And for each person wondering the net, they have the choice of hanging at one, two or all depending on their own needs and that is what makes the internet such a cool medium of conversation.

Ok.. perhaps I wondered a bit off topic.. but felt the need to give my perspective. One does not have to draw the most traffic to be the best. Best is subjective based on what criteria one uses and in my book I believe we are the best. We can't control if things get a bit boring in terms of activity towards a product, but what we can control is providing help in a professional manner and keeping a flow of our experiences and ideas of what will make Dish products better. Personally I think we accomplish that and as a result we have seen these products improve and it is my opinion that our site in some way has been part of the improvement I have witnessed.

I am sure some will disagree and you are welcome to but that is my perspective and one I truly believe.

Edited by Ron Barry, 24 February 2009 - 12:35 PM.
Fixed a sentence.

<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#25 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Well said Ron!

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

Don't let it get to you. Nick must have forgot his meds yesterday. :)

LOL You're not far off the mark, Chris -- I actually did forget my meds yesterday -- it was a bear of a Monday -- so, sorry I grouched up and beat up on you guys. :shrug:

Today is somewhat better...got some good news and a little bad news. I just found out I'm going to be a grandfather -- again. That makes 9 or 10...I've lost count, not to mention the "greats".

The bad news -- my prolific youngest son, who, along with his lovely wife, is responsible for producing five of my heirs, just found out he is about to be laid off his job. Anyone know of an opportunity for a top-notch commercial & heavy industrial electrician?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

I could explain why it seems pretty dead right now, but I may get banned for truly expressing my opinion of how Dish Network is doing things right now. As usual, stringing customers along and lying about when things are available. I don't think I'd know what to do if Dish announced something and ACTUALLY delivered the exact product mentioned without strings attached and within the timeframe expected...unless I'm one of the 200-300K in Podunk, USA that now receive locals in HD.

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#28 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Shoot, I'm new to Dish and I haven't really had to post a lot of qq cause an easy search finds all my answers. Folks here are super nice (on both sides of the sat fence) and DBSTALK is very nicely organized. I come here and read the new posts section several times a day for, if anything, to just keep up with what's going on in the sat tv world. Oh, and my 722 is working great and I don't really have any complaints about my service. I'm just glad to be here.

#29 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

One thing about the Dish side here is that we tend to stay focused on the products and issues in the field. The Dish side of the fence here is not focused on digging out rumors and leaked info which can help traffic and at times make things a bit more exciting but does have some side effects also. Don't get me wrong, rumors and leaked info are talked about here, but it just is not the focus we have here.

LOL. Very well said. Sometimes other sites are all about "I got this email from this guy that knows a guy that says this thing is happening tommorrow" and then it doesn't happen. Over and over again. That can certainly get old.

Party on my Dish brothers! :D

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hmmm. Well, I guess I have add another 2¢ worth here about Dish forums being dead.

Dish HD Offerings. It's clear to me that one can only complain a few hundred times about Dish not getting all the channels with popular and/or critically acclaimed programming, such as Rainbow Media owned AMC or News Corp. owned FX and SPEED or Viacom owned Nickelodeon. This wouldn't be as significant a problem it is if it weren't for the HD only Turbo packages and Charlie's litigious attitude.

Technical Problems. We've been dealing with the HD audio dropout problem on ViP DVR's in certain DMA's for well over a year, admittedly with an improvement on Fox and ABC. It was and continues to be because of a significant software change that occurred in June 2007 when we first started thinking about HD Turbo. Some other problems continue without resolution. At some point, repetitive complaining is a waste of time. And I think that some of the problems wouldn't exist except for Charlie's litigious attitude.

New Equipment. We can look forward to the 922s because there will be whole new threads full of complaints about the Sling features, internet issues, and the satellite and OTA TV features. So that will enliven the Dish threads.

Customer Service. This is going to be a bit quieter for awhile as the economy is going to result in fewer new customers. But rest assured there'll still be plenty of CSR screwups, at Dish just like all the other companies I interact with. And there'll still be a lack of communications at Tech Support, though I think most TSR's are competent. And there'll still be installation horror stories. And you'll still be able to get resolution of real screwups through ceo@.

Since I post regularly in the TV threads and sometimes in the OT threads, I find enough interesting discussion on DBSTalk that if the Dish discussions get quiet, it's not a problem.

Now I'm waiting impatiently for March 2 to read about Dish's and Echostar's fourth quarter 2008 financial results to see if they are still solvent.:rolleyes:

#31 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Now I'm waiting impatiently for March 2 to read about Dish's and Echostar's fourth quarter 2008 financial results to see if they are still solvent.:rolleyes:

I heard from guy that has a friend who knows someone said that once the 4th quarter results are posted that Dish will be going out of business on the 5th. :grin:
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

Or I could be totally offbase.

I think you've summarized many of the reasons quite well and you managed to do so without disparaging either provider in any significant way.

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,351 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

My receivers still work (including the DVRs, sorry TiVo) and I still get my programming/
I could ask for more, I could accept more, but life is good enough.

#34 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I have to agree with everybody staying focused around here. Thats why I like it better here too. Rumors can get old. Especially when they come from supposed "reliable" sources.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#35 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

I have to agree with everybody staying focused around here. Thats why I like it better here too. Rumors can get old. Especially when they come from supposed "reliable" sources.

The only reliable source is your EPG!

If it ain't there ... you ain't got it ... promises notwithstanding.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#36 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

We do stay focused. And keeping it real helps us gain recognition as being a factual source of information.

http://www.dbstalk.c...5&postcount=465

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

LOL You're not far off the mark, Chris -- I actually did forget my meds yesterday -- it was a bear of a Monday -- so, sorry I grouched up and beat up on you guys. :shrug:

Today is somewhat better...got some good news and a little bad news. I just found out I'm going to be a grandfather -- again. That makes 9 or 10...I've lost count, not to mention the "greats".

The bad news -- my prolific youngest son, who, along with his lovely wife, is responsible for producing five of my heirs, just found out he is about to be laid off his job. Anyone know of an opportunity for a top-notch commercial & heavy industrial electrician?

By the way, congrats on the good news. And my sympathy about the bad. I have two of three (or three of five, depending on whether you count significant others) laid off. It's a worry.:eek2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

It does seem quiet around here lately. I guess you can only ask "why Dish over "D" so many times. I've had em both and they are pretty much the same. I live in a community of 3,000 homes and I see an equal number of Dish and "D" equipment. Many stick with cable because they don't like change period. Many have gone HD and many more will when they buy a new TV. "D" offers the sports packages that many want and an optional lighted remote ($25). Dish has a better HD DVR and runs a bit less $ per month.

spam firewall