Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

mystifying reception problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   McSwine

McSwine

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

For some reason, I have 1 television (out of 3) that is having a reception problem with channels in the 250'ish range, most notably on AMC (254). Most times it just says "searching for signal", sometimes I get it but it is extremely pixelated and unwatchable.

I've had my local installer out 3 times...the first time he replaced my HDDVR, because of a loose coax connection on the back. The second time he re-terminated the coax inside the house in the plate in the wall, and the last time re-terminated the coax outside the house. None of these attempts helped.

I can get these channels on my other 2 sets without problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Is this a SD unit?

Edited by jodyguercio, 23 February 2009 - 02:51 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#3 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

If you swap receivers does it stay at that location? I'm assuming probably since you've had it replaced.

Any idea how long the cable runs are to that location?

What are your signal readings showing at that location when compared to other locations that are working?

#4 OFFLINE   wolfman730

wolfman730

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Amc is on 101W transponder 5. Check your signal strength on that TPN.

#5 OFFLINE   kimi

kimi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

I've almost completely lost my service over the last month. I have a SWM and apparently it was installed incorrectly - something to do with the distance between it and the splitter. I lost my locals and TCM/AMC on one receiver first, then on all. Directv is going to have a guy reinstall, but I've essentially been without service (I get the ESPN group of channels) for a month. You might have the same problem.

#6 OFFLINE   buck43

buck43

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Did he replace the barrel in the wallplate with blue instead of white.

#7 OFFLINE   intelisevil

intelisevil

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Did he replace the barrel in the wallplate with blue instead of white.

Subscribed due to this question . . .

#8 OFFLINE   Simmerman

Simmerman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Did the tech try replacing the LNB? Its the doo hicky at the front of the dish.

This is probably not it but you could also check the electrical outlet that the receiver is plugged into using a three outlet tester. The tester checks to see if the outlet is wired properly. Whe electrical outlets are not wired correctly, they can play all sorts of havoc with DTV receivers.

Edited by Simmerman, 23 February 2009 - 09:04 PM.
bad spelling

#9 OFFLINE   McSwine

McSwine

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll attempt to answer some of the questions...

I have not swapped receivers, but since it was replaced I feel confident that it's confined to this one television. I would guess the cable run is less than 50'.
I will get the signal strength and post it.

Not sure about the barrel in the wall plate, and I'm reasonably sure he has not replaced the LNB.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...