Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi room dvr

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   baby on way

baby on way

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

I was reading an article recently about Directv and in the article found they are coming out with a dvr where you can record in one room and watch the show on any tv in the house, apartment and so on? Can anyone confirm this? It also said it was coming out later this year. Would love this if it came out.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Yes, I can confirm it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Its called MRV (Multi Room Viewing) and is a highly anticipated feature.

Private testing is going on right now so hopefully sometime this year we will see it out in public.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yes, Multi Room Viewing will be out soon-however, you'll need HD receivers and/or HD DVRs that have Ethernet connectors on the back. That includes all HR2x HD DVRs but only the H21 and H23 HD receivers. The only exception is the R22 SD DVR, but that's only because it's a software limited HR21 HD DVR.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Also, to be clear, you'll need receivers at each TV location (the ones specified by newshawk). It's not a DVR that sends shows to every TV (after reading your first post again, that seems to be the implication). It's software that enables the DVR's at each location to "talk" to each other.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:30 AM

Also, to be clear, you'll need receivers at each TV location (the ones specified by newshawk). It's not a DVR that sends shows to every TV (after reading your first post again, that seems to be the implication). It's software that enables the DVR's at each location to "talk" to each other.

Actually, it's software that allows Ethernet-equipped HD receivers to view recordings from HD-DVRs. It does NOT (currently) allow DVRs to do anything with each other, and such a feature has never been announced, despite lots of people here talking about it as if it had been. Most of us would like to see that happen, but DirecTV has NEVER even implied that they were working on such a feature. Only HD-DVR to HD receiver has ever been officially talked about.

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

Yes, Multi Room Viewing will be out soon-however, you'll need HD receivers and/or HD DVRs that have Ethernet connectors on the back. That includes all HR2x HD DVRs but only the H21 and H23 HD receivers. The only exception is the R22 SD DVR, but that's only because it's a software limited HR21 HD DVR.

I think he is talking about the "Whole house DVR" and it will communicate through the RG6 cabling so those without networks can use it too. I have heard no release date for this as of yet.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

Actually, it's software that allows Ethernet-equipped HD receivers to view recordings from HD-DVRs. It does NOT (currently) allow DVRs to do anything with each other, and such a feature has never been announced, despite lots of people here talking about it as if it had been. Most of us would like to see that happen, but DirecTV has NEVER even implied that they were working on such a feature. Only HD-DVR to HD receiver has ever been officially talked about.

Well, I meant to type Receiver and not DVR, but regardless, I'm pretty confident DVR to DVR MRV will be coming, officially announced or not.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

Also, to be clear, you'll need receivers at each TV location (the ones specified by newshawk).

The term that Chase uses is "slaves" in reference to the whole house DVR due next year.

I think the OP is talking about the WHDVR and not MRV as MRV doesn't yet support all TVs and there is much to suggest that it won't.

#10 OFFLINE   SatRick

SatRick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Be interesting to see if they could utilize a SWM frequency type of set up >the cableing is already there

<Your IRD is inputed by standard means, but outputs a certain frequency that is picked up by another IRD looking for that freuquency that is not being used for input>:eek2:
Possible?

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

Be interesting to see if they could utilize a SWM frequency type of set up >the cableing is already there

<Your IRD is inputed by standard means, but outputs a certain frequency that is picked up by another IRD looking for that freuquency that is not being used for input>:eek2:
Possible?

See my post above, it's in the works...
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#12 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

Sure is. Directv is part of the MoCA group, and so is the company that provides the SWM technology.

Now, whether that ever comes to light in a real product or not, no one knows. And if it's in testing, no one participating can talk about it anyway.

So that leads us back to what has been publicly announced at investors' conferences and whatnot: Ethernet MRV in the near-term future, SWM stuff in the further future. Details (hopefully) to follow in the coming months. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#13 OFFLINE   SatRick

SatRick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

Cool, didn't know if you were talking about secondary cables:grin:
Kinda like what I am doin now:D

BTW,
Is that how Fios/FO works, or is it sent router style

Edited by SatRick, 24 February 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   ktk0117

ktk0117

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Its called MRV (Multi Room Viewing) and is a highly anticipated feature.

Private testing is going on right now so hopefully sometime this year we will see it out in public.

Are there any testing results posted anywhere for us to see?
DTV HR24-700,
DTV HR21-100,
DTV HR21-700
DTV R10 Tivo,
DTV R15
Toshiba 57HX83 HD CRT
Vizio VX32L HD LCD
Vizio VP322 HD Plasma

#15 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Are there any testing results posted anywhere for us to see?

For the private testing? :)
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#16 OFFLINE   ktk0117

ktk0117

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

For the private testing? :)

Sure, why not leak out some bread crumbs for us !
DTV HR24-700,
DTV HR21-100,
DTV HR21-700
DTV R10 Tivo,
DTV R15
Toshiba 57HX83 HD CRT
Vizio VX32L HD LCD
Vizio VP322 HD Plasma

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

The term that Chase uses is "slaves" in reference to the whole house DVR due next year.

I think the OP is talking about the WHDVR and not MRV as MRV doesn't yet support all TVs and there is much to suggest that it won't.

So nice of you to just make things up .. Here's what Chase Carey had to say about in the Q3 2008 earnings call ..

seekingalpha.com

And you are going to move from that being able to up the time, boxes in the home, so if you got an HD box in one room and HD DVR in the other room, the HD box can access the HD DVR and then probably more towards the end of '09, '10 move to really a next generation box.

Not sure how that is "much to suggest that it won't."
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   cjever19

cjever19

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Sure is. Directv is part of the MoCA group, and so is the company that provides the SWM technology.

Now, whether that ever comes to light in a real product or not, no one knows. And if it's in testing, no one participating can talk about it anyway.

So that leads us back to what has been publicly announced at investors' conferences and whatnot: Ethernet MRV in the near-term future, SWM stuff in the further future. Details (hopefully) to follow in the coming months. :)

For the Ethernet MRV, what is the approximate max length for the ethernet cable?
HR20-700 via HDMI to Panny TH-42PX60U
Antec MX-1 with WD10EVCS running flawless since 10/08 HR
HR22-100 to Panny SD-CRT
R15-500's via Coax Ch. 3 to 29" Panny SD-CRT's
(Details here)

#19 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

For the Ethernet MRV, what is the approximate max length for the ethernet cable?

Since my boxes are not using wired ethernet I really couldn't tell you. I imagine there are specs out there giving maximum usable lengths for Cat5e cable though that would give you a ballpark estimate.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#20 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

100 meters.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...